It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fracture

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #151
    lovnlif100
    (female)

lovnlif100 HB User
    Re: Fractured Calcaneous 11

Ooops I meant subtalar joint space rather than talus (where'd I get that?)
    Thanks so much,
    Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #152
    hank1412
    (male)

hank1412 HB User

Hi everyone,

I have not posted in a while so I hope nobody has suffered any serious setbacks. I am pretty much done with PT. The results have been diminishing since visit 6 or 7. Judging by what my good foot can do, I believe my ROM is close to 75% of normal. I have no idea about inversion ROM though. I am having two significant sensations in bad foot. First, I feel as if I have an extra toe. What I mean by this is that I feel as if my toes are climbing on each other. I know that sounds weird. Secondly, I feel a disconnect between my heel and rest of foot. I remember one of the operating room physicians showing me the CT scan they used during surgery. He showed me a fracture line that looked as if my heel was actually disconnected from foot. My fall ended up with forefoot landing about 2 inches below where my heel landed. OUCH! Has anyone else felt either of these two sensations?

Mike

Old 03-18-2009, 03:41 AM   #153
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
    Cool Re: Fractured Calcaneous 11

Hi Mike,

WOw....Interesting stuff happening to you. Hmmmmmm PT is to help get ROM back and teach you exercises to strengthen and stretch the necessary muscles. The rest is up to you...I went to PT for 8 weeks, yet continued my PT sessions here at home and still saw gains, but like you said, slow gains....

It takes a while...it really does. Of course it also takes time, so it's important to schedule that time daily for you to continue your own PT.

AS for the extra toe? Interesting. I never felt that but I do feel at times my toes won't be straight like my other foot. In other words, my little toes sometimes gravitate towards my big toe when I stand or walk. I will be walking, heel roll on the outside of the foot, then off the side of my little toes. I then have to concentrate on heel onto the toes and push off straight. I believe my muscles are still trying to find some sort of normalcy.

Your nerves are still trying get back to normal too. They don't like to be moved or touched and when they do it takes a long time for them to go back to their normal state. I suspect there is probably some interior swelling inside your foot too....maybe some scar tissue putting pressure on that nerve. The peroneal nerve is the size of a straw and then there are many smaller ones that branch off too. Nerves are a funny item in the human body.

I just went back to the foot/bone pictures from the web. That is a huge displacement of the heel and forefoot when you fell....I am trying to imagine the force when you hit to have the heel stop and the forefoot to continue downward. Ouch....If that is the case, you did some serious stretching of the front ligaments and tendons.

Take a look at your Private Messages. I sent you a link to and short web session. Not much info but it might help you.

Ed

Old 03-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #154
    RCN1976
    (female)

RCN1976 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jliversidge View Post
    Hi Everyone
    RCN 1976 -I think these consultants deliberately try to set us unrealistic goals and then we feel really bad when we can't achieve them!!On Jan 6th my consultant just said "Right you can fully weight bear now,get rid of the crutches" Not so Easy. I was on cloud nine after the consultation thinking "Great,won't be long now" HA HA ,then thought I must be a right weed when I found it impossible.
    My Physio said allow 6-8 weeks to build the ankle and foot up, and I have been walking independantly now for about 2 weeks so that was about right for me,and its been a slow, painful but a positive slog,Sorry!!
    Hope it happens faster for you,those tube stations are a bugger though!!!You would be very brave to tackle those on crutches!!
    Are you fed up of watching Jeremy Kyle on Telly yet!!!!!
    Jayne
    Hi Jayne,

Yes, have been tempted to throw something at the telly everytime Jeremy Kyle comes on but I've resisted haha! I had my first physio last saturday but it was more of an assesment to see what I'd done and what my movement was like. The physio recommened a session in the hydro pool so i can walk without any weight so I'll see how that goes.

Funny thing is that the actual sole of my foot underneath the right side of the heel has been really aching the last few days. Don't know whether I'm putting too much weight on it too early? Also, just above where my surgery scar bends upwards there feels like there's quite a bit of fluid underneath the skin and the skin there is red and painful. That side of my foot is still cery swollen so not sure how I'm going to get a shoe/trainer on when i do go back to work

When did you do your injury?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #155
    gttscp
    (male)

gttscp HB User

21-DEC-08 - shattered left clacaneus.
    02-JAN-09 - ORIF surgery, plate + 9 screws. 12 wks NWB
    27-MAR-09 - Target date for WB

Hi all,
    enjoy the thread and hoping the best for everyone here! I am 40, and this is my first injury of any kind. I hope to be cleared for WB next Friday but am a little concerned about what to expect. My heel feels fine but the outside of my ankle still is tender. Doing the PT twice a week plus home regimen of NWB exercises.

I was just wondering what to expect for exercises when I go WB. What ones are most effective?

Also, what do people find the best excercise for improving inversion?

Keep heeling and stay positive!

Gord

Old 03-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #156
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi Gord,

No worries. Relax and let the PT help you with the WBing. You'll do fine. I remember my trepedation when I was where you are in recovery. I was afraid, nervous....all the above.

More than likely your tendons and ligaments will hurt first. It can and may be very painful, but that will subside as you work thru the process of WBing. Remember, if it hurts too bad, then simply stop...the PT is not there to see you in pain. That is not his/her job, so it will be up to you to say uncle, I've had enough.

The PT will give you plenty of exercises. Seated Calf raises, bicycle work, treadmill work for your gait. Once you get stronger and more stable, they add more exercises to the routine, until they feel you won't hurt yourself once you are released of their care.

Another good one is lying on your back, feet flat, knees bent. Raise your butt off the floor so your thighs are parallel with your chest and stomach. Hold for 5 - 10 seconds then relax. The idea is to use your good leg to raise yourself, the slowly transfer weight to the bad foot as tolerated. This is one way to get the bad foot used to the new weight.

The PT will run your thru and won't give you any really advanced exercises. Right now your foot is like a baby. It doesn't get up and crawl or walk right away, it takes time to build these muscles back up again.

Just remember, you are in charge....it is YOUR foot. Please keep us posted on your progress? As you get stronger I'll suggest other exercises too.

Ed

Last edited by Administrator; 08-09-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #157
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe41 View Post
    Hey Heelies, Fracture 7/7, op 7/15, wb 9/12

Hey Movado, Really sorry to hear you are having so much pain. Have you talked to other Docs. about your problem? My Doc. told me it could take 1 to 2 years depending on the individual. From what I understand the fusion is a last resort thing, I hope you get the pain resolved before you have to get the fusion.

Pat, glad to hear you are getting over your back problem. Oh, I forgot, another remedy that works real well would drink a lot of Burbon.

Hey Phil, good to hear from you.

Everyone, stay strong, positive and Keep Healing Heelies.

Joe
    Hi Joe,
    Thanks but bourbon not my tipple, afraid to drink because of pain meds. Back is better but still aches a lot, foot has been good but painful again this week, probably because unable to stretch or exercise because of back. It has now been 13 months and I was told 12 to 18 months.

Cheers

Pat

Old 03-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #158
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User

Hi Ed,
    I am back at work but back still aches a lot and foot painful at times but probably because no stretching exercises because of back. Mam is doing better than me, thanks for asking.

Keep healinh heelies
    Pat

Old 03-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #159
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User

Hi Fitzcor,
    I was NWB for 3 months then PWB for 6 weeks. I too used a walker as I was afraid of using crutches but I used a wheeled walker which is much easier to hop with and then used elbow crutches as soon as I was PWB and they were fine, went on to 1 crutch then cane, now no cane. The elbow crutches give much more support than under the arm type.

Good Luck

Pat

Old 03-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #160
    lovnlif100
    (female)

lovnlif100 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Fractured Calcaneous 11

Very tired of the swelling today ... needed to vent.
    I am trying to get through the school year and I must admit some days it's very difficult.

Ok, enough. Will try positive thoughts, but adding a bottle of wine. Hope you all are well tonight and your feet feel familiar.
    thanks,
    linda

Old 03-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #161
    mydd
    (female)

mydd HB User

Hey lovn

Add some elevation,then ice to the foot and wine lol, am sure with all the walking you have to do at school is making the foot swell more but as soon as you can get the foot up. Also you may want you can try compression sock i know it has helped my husbands foot alot -he is on his feet all day and the socks have taken away alot of the swelling that would stay in the foot.

take care all
    mydd-terry

Old 03-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #162
    lovnlif100
    (female)

lovnlif100 HB User

thank you so much... will try the socks and elevation again.
    wine is helping.

linda

Old 03-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #163
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi Linda,

If the wine is not helping, then you'll need something a little stronger. LOL

Ed

Old 03-20-2009, 08:16 AM   #164
    lovnlif100
    (female)

lovnlif100 HB User

lol... it all helped. Thanks so much for your cheers! Cheers!

linda

Old 03-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #165
    lovnlif100
    (female)

lovnlif100 HB User

Hi Pat,
    I was wondering... do you still walk with a limp? If not, when did that resolve? When did
    you notice swelling was diminished?

thank you,
    linda

Closed Thread