It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fracture

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #16
    KCguy
    (male)

KCguy HB User
    Re: Fractured Calcaneous 11

Break 8/31, Surgery 9/9, WB as of 11/12

Evening everyone

Fitzcor
    Welcome to the group. At the same time, sorry to hear about your injury. You have come to the right place for positive attitudes and a lot of help coping with your injury. For most of us this has been our most serious injury ever and I was never prepared to have the kind of down time I had to endure early on with this injury. Good news is you WILL recover and things will get better. Just be prepared for patience. Nothing will happen as quick as you want but it will happen. We have a lot of experience here and everyone is always eager to help. My surgeon was very skilled and good at her job but like so many others wasn't too forthcoming with information and comfort. That's what we all find here. Once again welcome!

Ed(Eddie?)
    Well Ed, so Joe has now brought you to Eddy status! That's what you get for going to Antigua and leaving the rest of us with winter! Sorry for the little setback. I didn't do anything like you did, but out of the blue had a sore achilles for a couple of days that actually had me limping a little. As quick as it showed up it was gone after two days. Go figure, the body is still a mystery. Anyhow, it's bad enough you go scuba diving, if you mention you got in a round or two of golf too I'll have to hunt you down... Really though I'm happy that you've gotten back to your normal routine again.

Pat
    Sorry about your back. I think we all have found new aches and minor strains and pulls while trying to deal with our heels. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Joe
    OK guy, the Eddie thing was a good one, I think we might have to make that stick some. After all, he's the one enjoying Antigua! Hope you're doing well, keep up that humor and laughter, it's some of the best medicine!

Terry
    Glad things are going great, as soon as I got the go ahead for WB I went for the high top sneakers. I think that's what helped me recover so fast.

Everyone else keep working it hard and building back that strength. Keep a positive attitude, it's vital to your recoveries. Remember the only two things you can control are your attitude and activity...

Alex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #17
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User
    Smile Re: Fractured Calcaneous 11

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydd View Post
    Hi All

Pat sorry to hear about your back-hope it is better soon-also i didnt notice that you were from uk till now lol -my husband was born there and has aunt and uncle still there.
    I just ordered compression sock to help with davids swelling -he has a boot for surfing and when he put it on was tight but he noticed the swelling had gone down after trying it on so thinking he may have some edema figured it was worth a try with the socks.

Ed thats funny its excactly what i did with the sneakers-order a somewhat cheaper but wider pair of sneakers and will use them for now,
    and yes we can be even now except you are walking on the beach in about 80 degrees weather? iam walking in 33 degree weather lol.

alex ,joe and everyone else- hope things are well with you

mydd_terry
    Hi Mydd,
    Where is your hubby from in UK?

I went to Dr. yesterday and apparently I have severely sprained my back and it will take at least 2 weeks to improve, it is a little easier, at least I can get around bit still very sore.

Anyway there is always a silver lining !!!!! I think I may have reinjured my foot like Ed by doing too much in Oz as well as the long flights but the enforced rest fro my bad back seems to have done my foot good.

Thanks to everyone else who has wished me well and keep healing heelies

Pat

Last edited by patw27; 02-17-2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: text in wrong place

Old 02-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #18
    mydd
    (female)

mydd HB User

Hey All

Pat sorry to hear it is a sprain in your back but it is true having to be off your feet would help rest the bad foot.
    My husband was born in middlesex- his mom is originally from there but moved to the states when david was young,they still have family in Gorhampton.

Joe and Alex am def looking into high top and going with extra wide also since there is swelling through the whole foot ,his toes are getting sore from being in the sneaker he is now since it swells worse after he puts sneakers on and has been on his feet.

We made it down to the boardwalk yesterday and walked for the first time since this happened (march 08) -we went 3 blocks which was great but felt funny because we use to do the whole length of the boardwalk( 2miles)but that time will come too.
    david is at accupunture now and when he is done we are heading back to boardwalk to see how he does again.

take care

terry-mydd

Old 02-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #19
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydd View Post
    Hey All

Pat sorry to hear it is a sprain in your back but it is true having to be off your feet would help rest the bad foot.
    My husband was born in middlesex- his mom is originally from there but moved to the states when david was young,they still have family in Gorhampton.

Joe and Alex am def looking into high top and going with extra wide also since there is swelling through the whole foot ,his toes are getting sore from being in the sneaker he is now since it swells worse after he puts sneakers on and has been on his feet.

We made it down to the boardwalk yesterday and walked for the first time since this happened (march 08) -we went 3 blocks which was great but felt funny because we use to do the whole length of the boardwalk( 2miles)but that time will come too.
    david is at accupunture now and when he is done we are heading back to boardwalk to see how he does again.

take care

terry-mydd
    Thanks Mydd,
    While I was in Oz and my foot was hurting I bought sneakers from a shop called "Athletes Foot" where they put me on a machine that showed the areas of pressure I was using with both feet and recommended the best sneakers with gel heels, absolutely like walking on air.

I come from Wales, a place called Merthyr Tydfil so nowhere near where hubby came from .

Bye all

Old 02-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #20
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Heelies, Fracture 7/7, op 7/15, wb 9/12

Alex, I try to look for humor in everything in life and then some. Yea, I think Eddie suits him, aftre all that is the more friendlier or less formal form of Ed .

Pat, somr times unintended consequinces are a blessing, enjoy the rest time.

Terry, something else to think about, my PT told me not to wear anything around the house to improve balance. (sneakers that is) . Accupuncture, let us know how that works.

Hey everybody, stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Old 02-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #21
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User

Thanks Joe

Pat

Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #22
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
    Cool Re: Fractured Calcaneous 11

Hi All,

Back from the islands Ma'n.....LOL Nice to get away and enjoy the sun. Now back to reality.

Terry - Let us know how he makes out with the compression sock? I wore it for about 2 weeks and found it didn't really help too much but it took the edge off for those 2 weeks. Please let us know how the accupuncture felt and if it helped him at all.

I only went up a half size with new everyday shoes. I can still wear all the others without any issues, but have yet to put on the cowboy boots.

I'm glad you got to walk the boards. That must have felt soo good for him.

Fitzcor - I'm glad you have a good handle on the depression. It can come at you so quick. I found as long as I stayed active mentally I was OK. I would also force myself to get up and get around too, little projects etc...to keep myself busy even for a little while.

Pat - I'm glad you saw the doc about your back. I'm sorry it's going to be a couple weeks before you feel better. How is your Mom doing now?

Alex - Sorry, no golf. I didn't get to Scuba either...gut feeling told me not to go. The last time I didn't listen to my gut I broke my heel bone, so I elected not to go. I did walk the beach 3 days in a row and it did wonders for loosening my tendons and muscles. My foot feels a lot better, but it's not back to the way it was 3 weeks ago. Another couple of weeks of rest should do it, then I'll ease (very slowly) back into calf work.

Joe - See what ya started? LOL....It was funny and I did laugh and smile, thank you....however (not to bust everyone's fun) but I really hate being called Eddie....It's a childhood issue, not a pleasant one. I know I should try to lighten up about it, but not one I can do so easily. No need to aplogize, because no one here knows. I would prefer if everyone stick with Ed. Thank you.

Time to catch up on my pile of mail after 5 days away. Have agreat day everyone. Stay positive and focused.
    Ed

Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #23
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by triguy450 View Post
    Hi All,

Back from the islands Ma'n.....LOL Nice to get away and enjoy the sun. Now back to reality.

Terry - Let us know how he makes out with the compression sock? I wore it for about 2 weeks and found it didn't really help too much but it took the edge off for those 2 weeks. Please let us know how the accupuncture felt and if it helped him at all.

I only went up a half size with new everyday shoes. I can still wear all the others without any issues, but have yet to put on the cowboy boots.

I'm glad you got to walk the boards. That must have felt soo good for him.

Fitzcor - I'm glad you have a good handle on the depression. It can come at you so quick. I found as long as I stayed active mentally I was OK. I would also force myself to get up and get around too, little projects etc...to keep myself busy even for a little while.

Pat - I'm glad you saw the doc about your back. I'm sorry it's going to be a couple weeks before you feel better. How is your Mom doing now?

Alex - Sorry, no golf. I didn't get to Scuba either...gut feeling told me not to go. The last time I didn't listen to my gut I broke my heel bone, so I elected not to go. I did walk the beach 3 days in a row and it did wonders for loosening my tendons and muscles. My foot feels a lot better, but it's not back to the way it was 3 weeks ago. Another couple of weeks of rest should do it, then I'll ease (very slowly) back into calf work.

Joe - See what ya started? LOL....It was funny and I did laugh and smile, thank you....however (not to bust everyone's fun) but I really hate being called Eddie....It's a childhood issue, not a pleasant one. I know I should try to lighten up about it, but not one I can do so easily. No need to aplogize, because no one here knows. I would prefer if everyone stick with Ed. Thank you.

Time to catch up on my pile of mail after 5 days away. Have agreat day everyone. Stay positive and focused.
    Ed
    Hi Ed,
    My back is getting better slowly, at least I can sit at PC for a while now. I think I must have reinjured part of my foot by doing too much in OZ, my husband did say I was pushing it too much but when you are with other people and know they are waiting for you to catch up that is what you do.

The enforced rest because of the back seems to have worked on foot. Mam is fine now thanks

All the best everyone

Pat

Old 02-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #24
    fitzcor
    (female)

fitzcor HB User

Hi Everyone:
    I'm still reading back posts. Can't believe all the information and past posts there is.

It is nice there are other people I can talk to who are going through this. I hopefully get my cast off next week and then it's two more weeks non-weight bearing. Don't know about physical therapy, probably will find out next week. 2 1/2 weeks after surgery I started getting electrical shock type feelings. It was like I was being electrocuted. Seems to be at one of the incision sites (the ankle). Was very painful at first, but now is not as painful and is not as often. When it first was happening, I was going to put a light bulb in my mouth to see if it lighted up!! Anyone else have this, or know what it is from?

I went back to work to keep my mind occupied. Have a desk job, so my doctor said I could go back to work as long as I didn't put any weight-bearing on my foot. Didn't have disability insurance and I had just started my job last May and didn't have many sick or vacation days either. I work on the 2nd floor and they don't have an elevator, but they got me a desk downstairs and moved my computer and phone. It is really nice of them to do that. One of my co-workers picks me up and another takes me home. Some days it is hard to get up and get moving but once I do I feel so much better, plus I really need to keep my mind occupied.

Hope everyone is having a nice day.
    Bye for now, fitzcor

Old 02-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #25
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi Fitzcor,

Yes there is a ton of info in these posts. Lots of good sharing material.

Ah, the old shock near the ankle feeling. I remember it well and hated it well. It kept me up many a night when it was painful. If you did G search looking for Calcaneal Surgery you can see the surgical procedure steps. In one step they pull the Peroneal Nerve out of the foot while performing the repair on the heel bone. Nerves do not like to be touched or moved. They bite back.

Once the surgery is completed, they put it back in place and sew you up. It takes a few days, weeks for the nerve to react but it let's you know it didn't want to be touched. The nerve itself is coming back to life causing the initial pain, the shocks you feel are normal and will continue for a while as it settles itself back down again.

It'll calm down and won't be so bad once you start WBing. I'm glad your employer moved you desk to the 1st floor and glad you are back to work...it really helps keep your mind on other things.

Ed

Old 02-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #26
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Ed, no problem with nom de plume, I shall forget it ever happened. Sorry you didn't get to golf or scuba, but I think there is something to be said about following your gut. But it does sound like walking on the beach was benifical, and am sure pleasant.

Fitzcor, the shock thing you are feeling is what we all went through, notice the tense, it's past so you will get past it too. PT will be a while yet, but once your cast is off you can start your own PT by flexing your toes and massaging the foot, inparticularly at the scare tissue. Remember this injury is about patients and perseverance as Ed has already mentioned. Keep reading the posts, all your questions will be answered, I think .

Ok Healies stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Old 02-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #27
    KCguy
    (male)

KCguy HB User

Break 8/31, Surgery 9/9, WB as of 11/12

Evening everyone

Ed
    Good to know you made it back to the cold northeast you poor guy! OK, noted, we will keep it as "Ed". Don't want to hash up bad memories. You know, I could see where living near a beach would be great for recovering from this injury. Having walked and run on the beach on more than one occasion, I remember how wore out it made me, especially in the feet and legs. I would imagine that would work great on the ligaments and tendons in the foot of the injury. In life I always go with my gut instinct. There's a reason it's called instinct. I've seen people overthink too many things and wind up being sorry they didn't go with their gut in the first place. Good choice.

Fitzcor
    Yup, Joe and Ed confirmed about the electricity or tingling, burning or whatever you want to call it. This too shall pass as you progress. It takes a little while but I have no remaining effects from the incision area that used to drive me nuts for a while. Today I have all the feeling back around the incision and no tingling whatsoever.

Joe
    Sounds like things are going well for you. I hope the same is true for your wife. "nom de plume"? You're too sophisticated for me. You must be a professional writer!

Terry
    Hope everything is going well for you and David. It's so enjoyable now reading about his new conquests and progress versus when he was struggling from one procedure to another. Once again I'm very happy for you both!

Nothing new with me. A little over a week ago out of nowhere I had a sore achilles for about 3 days then it disappeared as quickly as I felt it. Since that went away I feel really strong. No aches and almost all my strength is back. I lack just a little flexibility from being back to what I would consider about 100 percent. Considering the fact that 3 months ago I was just coming off crutches I never thought I'd make it this far this quick. I can only hope that all of you enjoy the same success that I've been very fortunate to have.

Hope everyone is having a great week! Stay positive, the only two things you can control are your attitude and your activity!

Alex

Old 02-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #28
    mydd
    (female)

mydd HB User

Hi All

Thanks Alex its nice to be able to write some good things,I know that feeling of being amazed -to be on your feet now when you thought you wouldnt be.
    David has been to the acupunturist again and is still going to pt. Ed- i do think the compression sock is working best for him,he used it for the first time yesterday and when he came home from work(on his feet all day) and a short walk at the beach his foot looked almost normal -would usually be very very puffy even after pt,icing and elevation,i read that the sock helps with circulation and moving the fluid away from the foot and it really seems to do what is says , will see how day 2 goes today when he gets home,but i think that for all the time he was off his foot(almost a year) and numerous operations his circulation took a hit and you could see swelling up to his calf.It is amazing no matter how good of shape you were before this- that this injury can undo all that.

Joe, Pat-Fitzcor -hope things continue to get better for you as well

Terry-mydd

Last edited by mydd; 02-20-2009 at 03:05 PM.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #29
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Alex, Joe is my stage name. My real name is Steven King . Sounds like you are way ahead of me, good for you. I still have discomfort on the out side of the ankel, but I can walk with no problem but, some tightness. I start back to the gym tomorrow that should help get my leg to full strenght.

Hey Terry, does David thing the accupunture is helping? Sounds like the sock is helping, that's a good thing after all what he has been through.

Hey everybody, stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Old 02-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #30
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hey Joe,

Do yourself a favor and don't push too hard with the weights. I've stopped doing calf raises so my foot heals again. I don't want to see you with a set back too.

I too have pain on the outside of my ankle from time to time. Annoying more than painful. Still tight at times, for no reason at all.

Terry - I agree, it sounds like the sock was a good investment for David. They are a real bear to get on tho. Has he felt anything after the accupunture sessions? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I appreciate the understanding re: my inner child everyone. Thank you.

Yes, the beach did wonders for my foot. Wish I could do that everyday. LOL

Dinner is almost ready so everyone have a great weekend. Post if anything new happens.
    Ed

Closed Thread