It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fracture

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2009, 05:16 AM   #676
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
    Cool Re: Fractured Calcaneous 11

Good morning all, 7/19/08 - 10 foot fall from a ladder, 7/31 -11 screws and one plate, 8/14 - stitches removed, 9/17 cleared to 100% WB, 10/1 - Dropped crutches, 11/7/08 back to work.

Chris, at this stage I suggest leaving the scab alone and letting it heal itself. The last photo I saw, I see major improvement. If it ain't broke don't fix it? LOL

The bathroom scale is nothing more than placing your bad foot on the scale and seeing how much weight you can put on your foot until you feel pain. Based on your current weight you can do the math and figure the % of weight on that foot. If you weight 100 pounds, 10% equals 10 pounds. This will give you a mental and physical feel of what 10% feels like. Now you might be able to put 20% on that foot, we all heal differently.

Linda, I'm sorry you are in such limbo with this, not knowing which way to go...PT or rest... I can understand where he might be headed with your next treatment step, but again, wait for the CT scan.

Greg, thank you for the compliments. My only memory issues these days is trying to keep everyone straight on here. LOL Everyone has different circumstances and issues and I have to go back and read the posts sometimes. The medical and treatment parts are easy altho I will admit, I have to dig deep anymore to remember ALL the PT exercises I did. This over 40 stuff...jeez...

Yes, I lift weights, ride bicycles. I used to run and swim, but don't have the time for all that anymore. I was also an active triathlete, but running really aggrivates my foot.

To answer your questions: I was on the stationary bike at 7 weeks PO, but only for about 2-3 minutes, then built up over the next several weeks. I believe I was riding a real bike again 8 weeks into PT (I didn't tell him). I took some of the exercises and did them more than he recommended w/out hurting myself or w/out inflaming the tendons again. I paid attention to what my foot was telling me. I'd stop when it told me to stop and push when I knew I could.

Honestly, swimming didn't help me as much as I thought. When I finally did get into the pool, my foot was sore for days after, but this was also early in recovery. You may have a difficult time putting the fins on. They may rub the incision area so be careful. I was never a fin person.

Terry - again, I'm glad to hear from you again. I thought you disappeared for good. LOL.

Have a great day everyone, I know the board will get busy this afternoon with new news.

Ed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2009, 06:14 AM   #677
    mydd
    (female)

mydd HB User
    Re: Fractured Calcaneous 11

ED

Lol just enough to get some regular routine back to our lives -think we are almost there, less drs etc. more enjoyable things-the honey do list got very long for david lol but he is even enjoying mowing the grass-(sure that will wear off soon)
    Hope all is well with you too-it sounds like it is-and have to hand it to you for keeping up with all the posts too!

Terry

Old 06-15-2009, 06:17 AM   #678
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi Terry,
    Funny, my honey do list got very long since last year too. Folks ask me why am so busy? I remind them that when you are on your back for 8 weeks or more, the list doesn't take care of itself yet continues to get longer. LOL
    Ed

Old 06-15-2009, 06:35 AM   #679
    malldad
    (male)

malldad HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by triguy450 View Post
    Chris, at this stage I suggest leaving the scab alone and letting it heal itself. The last photo I saw, I see major improvement. If it ain't broke don't fix it? LOL

Ed
    Thanks Ed. My father is picking me up in about an hour for my OS appointment. He is 78 years old and now he gets around better than me...Lol. I have but two goals today...1. Be told vacation at the beach is okay given the incision issue. 2. Leave his office with scab still attached. Anything more than these two points will be gravy.

On another note I was trying to make the foot move in and out earlier this morning I got a big nothing. Try as I might it just will not move. I may be moving it out about 5% of what it once was but nothing moving in at all. PT will have to work miracles for me.

Good day everyone,

Chris

Last edited by malldad; 06-15-2009 at 06:36 AM.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:06 AM   #680
    Konitz
    (male)

Konitz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by malldad View Post
    Pokey brings up a good question. Those of you that are WB'ing and walking would you please tell us what your first day was like. How long could you WB and if you walked how far did you walk? I am curious with anticipation....

Chris
    PS. I am afraid I do not even remember how to walk.....

I dont kno what point of weight bearing you are talking of so I will start with wb with crutches and go from there. My doc tolod me I should be able to walk without the boot in 6 weeks time from WB So basically I split it up into 2 week sections forst two weeks two crutches for support, next two weeks just one crutch then last two weeks no cruteches just boot, then no boot, just my merrell hiking shoes and some gel insoles.

Two crutches was just for gettinf the walking motion down again slight weight bearing had a pulling pain snesation all over the foot went away with ice I think just everything in the foot not used to having forces being applied to them.

When I switched to one crutch my foot was slowly getting used to the weight (mind you I weight 235lbs so my foot was in some serious shock.) I would basically plant the foot like a peg leg then ackwardly transition to the other foot, it was the most disgusitng walk ever but I didnt care I was almost walking. It took quite a while for my leg to support my weight with even one crutch I almost didnt make my 2 week schedule I was aiming for.

Then honestly somewhere around 3 weeks of wb I dropped my crutch and took my first hobble, it was not a step but more like a shuffle lol. but did it feel good, I was a free man able to move around. But this is the point that was also were I got the most frustrated because I could sorta walk on my own power but not for long. I would go out with friends but could not keep up and have to go home because my foot got sore (Like the feeling you get when you stand for too long, a burning sensation) I would say 10 steps and my my subtalar joint area was complaining. But as day by day went by I walked a little better each day and soon enough I was walking where ever I wantred whenever I wanted for as long as I wanted(Probably for the past 2-3 weeks I have been at this point). Saturday I even jogged accross a parking lot because it was pouring out and I did not even have a coat. It was a reaction I did not even think about then halfway accross the parking lot I was thinking hey am I really doing this?

The one constant pain I did always have through all my WB was a soreness on the top of my foot close to where your foot pivots, I think it is just tendonts and muscles working had but you just get used to it and nothing that limits you I would say.

The best thing the Doc gave me for WB was my compression sock, Before having that my foot was swell up to twice its size then I wold have to rest and ice it and wait for it to go back down, with the compression sock I would say it swelled up 75% less than having no compression sock on. Highly reccomend this.

And honestly Chris, if your Doc won't give you the aircast boot I would mail you mine while you need it,that hows great and how crucial I believe this boot is to the comfort of your foot. Alson, it helped being able to adjust the air pressure when I started walking when I felt I need less support or more support.

I am very excited to see the next batch of weight bearer's start moving. It was frustrating at time when your foot gets sore and you think you will not be able to walk again normal but do not worry you will get back to walking pain free soon enough.

I will also admit I had to use some pain meds some days when I pushed it too far.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:17 AM   #681
    malldad
    (male)

malldad HB User

Thanks Konitz! You sound like you are doing great. I am leaving for my OS appointment now so I will let you guys know how it goes...

Chris

Old 06-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #682
    Konitz
    (male)

Konitz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by malldad View Post

On another note I was trying to make the foot move in and out earlier this morning I got a big nothing. Try as I might it just will not move. I may be moving it out about 5% of what it once was but nothing moving in at all. PT will have to work miracles for me.

Good day everyone,

Chris
    Same thing happened for my I could feel the tendons yanking how they were supposed to but nothing moved I beleive its a combination of scar tissue buildup in the foot and leg muscle that have gone dormant for too long.

Just the other day I was walking on some really rought terrain that required the use of my subtalar joint and I heard alot of popping and even for lack of a better term tearing noises, none of it hurt, more like a pulling feeling; the doc said it is tendons breaking through scar tissue and tendons stretching out.

I am an outdoors person who had nightmares about not being able to walk on rough terrain, but do not fret it comes back.

Also, Greg in regards to biking, I was biking around in my boot as soon as I got the go ahead (9-10 weeks) for WB post op; I would just drive to a quiet neighborhood and pedal around , people would see me pedaling around and ask what the heck I was doing on a bike, I felt nice though to get out and use your own leg power to get around.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #683
    malldad
    (male)

malldad HB User

VACATION IS A GO! Just got home from OS. Vacation is a go for me (I just need to keep sand off scab). I am to Partial WB for next two weeks at 75# then two weeks at 125#. Best of all NO MORE BOOT! I am to try to get in my tennis shoe which may mean I have to buy a bigger pair due to having a compression sleeze. He wants me to walk around in our pool as tolerated I just have to wrap the scab in Saran Wrap. He gave me a cane "in case" I decide to Full WB before the end of my second two weeks. I see him again on 7/13 for official clearance to go Full WB'ing with the cane. So as of today I am a semi biped once again!

Thank you all for your support to date.

Chris

Old 06-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #684
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi Chris,
    that is great news about vacation. I am very happy for you.

Please, do youself a favor and I am not trying to knock you off your horse, just giving you things to think about. I know what he said about 75# right off the bat, but you'll probably want to go less than that. Ask me how I know. I tried to put a lot of weight on my foot within a 2 day time frame. The 3rd day I paid for and put zero weight on it. Ease into this Chris, don't be in a rush.

However, put weight on it as tolerated and as you can bear, but keeping in mind the above paragraph.

I don't agree with the pool deal either, but he is your doctor. I guess he must think the chlorine will prevent any bacteria from seeping into the incision. Just my 2 cents.

A half size to a full size bigger shoe should work. Did he mention anything about PT? Anything at all?

Ed

Old 06-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #685
    malldad
    (male)

malldad HB User

Ed,

You will never have to worry about knocking me off a horse. These feet will never be that far off the ground as long as I live. I totally agree with you about working up to 75#. Honestly, I would be too scared to go directly to that much weight. He was okay with our private pool since I maintain the proper chlorine level. He feels that walking in the pool will be great therapy for the foot. I honestly do not think I will get into the water for a few weeks.
    As for PT he said we will discuss that on my next visit. I TOLD him I am going to go. I have a neighbor who owns a PT practice and he is direct with our insurance company so I do not even need a Rx from my doctor.

Chris

Old 06-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #686
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi Chris,

I'm glad you are approaching it wisely. It took me several weeks to lose my crutches. A little bit each day. I know I said this before but my OS told me you are 100% free to WB. I want you to throw the crutches away in 5 days.

I agree, pool therapy is wonderful for this injury and WBing.

Ed

Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #687
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Chris,

wonderful news, I just knew you were going to get the Okay. And wat Ed says.

Enjoy your vacation.

Joe

Old 06-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #688
    lovnlif100
    (female)

lovnlif100 HB User

What Joe Said... Yes, yippie for you!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe41 View Post
    Hey Chris,

wonderful news, I just knew you were going to get the Okay. And wat Ed says.

Enjoy your vacation.

Joe
    Ed's comments Perfect. I think pool therapy's guuuuuuud, but watch the levels of chemicals. Wouldn't want ya gettin' a nasty infection. You can tell me to shut up, just be careful.

I'm so happy for you.

smiles,
    linda

Last edited by lovnlif100; 06-15-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:12 PM   #689
    qrst123
    (female)

qrst123 HB User

Hi from Lesotho.
    Chris-I'd jump up and down for you if I could at your great vacation news! Enjoy the vacation. When do you leave? For where? Will you have computer access there?

Linda-I'm doing ok. I've learned to ask my housekeeper to do more when she's here and have had the guards move my heater back and forth in the house, etc. Still problematic on veggies but I'm on a multivit and calcium. I leave for the States in 4 days!! I'm so excited.

Ed, glad to see you back on.

Clare-you're my model for recovery. Keep it going.

I had my post op checks 2 weeks after surgery. The next day, I noticed my left heel was kind of achy. Now my left heel gets VERY achy-more pain than my right. I don't know if this is because I stood for a solid 1/2 hour with my right leg propped up on crutch or not, but shouldn't it be able to do that for 1/2 hour? Did anyone get their other heel examined at time of injury or just the injured one? The left one never bruised or swelled but it sure can get a sharp throb going now. Will ask OS about it Thurs. I don't know if I've ever looked forward to a doctor appt this much.
    T

Old 06-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #690
    okie girl
    (female)

okie girl HB User

Hi Chris, Great news about vacation!! Have fun

I had a great cover for my foot and leg for bathing that came up to my knee. I'm long legged and 5'8 so depending on your height it would certainly cover you foot and calf. My husband found it at an independent pharmacy that carries lots of health and recovery aids. It was kind of a heavy plastic that was shaped for your foot and the opening would stretch. It looked so tight I didn't think I could get it on at first but it stretches out and then goes back and fits really tight round the leg,and no water would penetrate it. Something like that might work and be safer for your foot for the pool. You might call around first, I don't remember that it had a specific name but, if they carry that type of thing and you describe it they would know. A friend of mine who had foot surgery told me about it. So much easier that bags etc. and plastic wrap.

Linda, I biked 15 miles on Sat. with no side effects. Well, other than saddle sore! I have mt bike with hybrid tires so I was on pavement, and had just a few hills. It felt good to be able to do some distance. My husband wants us to ride in the "Hotter 'n Hell" 100 mile race in Aug. I don't think I'm up for that but might shoot for 25 or 50 miles. The problem is that it will be Hotter 'n hell in TX in Aug.!! We've ridden it a couple of times in the past. Guess it's a goal to work towards.

Hey Ed, Are you still riding?

Joanne

Closed Thread