It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Flat Feet insurance issue..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2009, 03:18 AM   #1
    gemmy200
    (female)

gemmy200 HB User
    Flat Feet insurance issue..

Hi Everyone, I am here hoping to get some suggestions on which way to go.
    My son (16) has very flat feet with pronation. We really only noticed it last summer. I immediately jumped on the web to see what the treatment options were, and every site I visited said no treatment was necessary unless there was pain involved, so I purchased him a good pair of NB shoes and some inserts for flat feet, still, he never complained of pain...until now. Lately, he has been having a little pain in his knees and hips, he says it's nothing horrible, just more annoying. I decided to take him in for a referral, and to my surprise, my insurance won't touch ANY type of treatment for flat feet. Since I have decided to foot the bill myself, I have a few questions:

*Should I see an orthopedic Dr. or a Podiatrist...I want to get it right the first time since I am paying out of pocket.
    *Is it normal to have hip pain with flat feet? It's kind of freaking me out.
    *What should I expect on his first visit?
    *Are there many, consecutive visits with treatment?
    *I know (from reading here) that Othotics are expensive, but give me something to go by, what did YOU pay for yours.

Sorry for all the questions, but I need to know what I am in for here. I appreciate all of you in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Flat Feet insurance issue..

Which kind of doctor? Whichever seems more knowledgeable. Talk to other people in your area. Try to get a name.

Custom orthotics tend to cost about $500. How long treatment takes depends on whether the orthotics help, as they are often the first thing doctors try.

Flat feet cause hip and knee pain? Yes, if he is walking with a slightly awkward gait as a result.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Did you see a doctor at all about the knee and hip pain? It may not be from his feet. Could be growing pains, tendonisitis, most anything. I'd go to an ortho for that problem and then just mention the foot problem. You're insurnace should pay for the vist for diagnosis even if it doesn't pay for the treatment.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:17 AM   #4
    gemmy200
    (female)

gemmy200 HB User

Thanks everyone for your replies.
    There is no question that my son has a problem with flat feet. His ankles turn inward, and his shoes wear quickly on the inside. He does have an obvious sort of slouching type walk, and his feet tire easily when he is on them for longer periods of time.
    The reason I ask about which doctor to use is because since I am paying out of pocket, I don't want to run the risk of going to one, then being sent to another..know what I mean?
    It's good to know that my insurance *might pay for diagnosis even if they don't pay for treatment.
    My son only recently began having the knee and hip pain, so, no he hasn't been evaluated as of yet. I was waiting to hear what you all had to say about which Dr. to see before scheduling an appointment.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
    emmie54
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

gemmy, if you go in for the problem of pain in the knees then your diagnosis won't be flat feet it will be "knee pain" and insurance should certainly pay for that. My custom orthotics were $240. It depends on where you live as to the cost of them. I had read on here that $500 was the norm so I was pleasantly surprised at the cost of mine.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
    gemmy200
    (female)

gemmy200 HB User

Wow! Great idea Emmy54!
    I knew coming to this forum would give me some answers
    I would still need to start off with my PCP right? And then get a referral?

I am prepared to handle the cost of the orthotics (sp?) but are x-rays normally taken in office?
    I am also a little afraid that his feet are so bad that they will say he needs surgery, but I think my insurance WILL pay for that...go figure.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
    emmie54
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

glad I could help! It depends on your insurance as to whether you have to start with a PCP. If you don't have to, I would go directly to an orthopaedic, preferably one who specializes in pediatric orthopaedics. He would be most familiar with the issues that evolve from growing pains, too. Then while he is addressing the knee pain you can mention the feet. Orthos take x-rays in office. A PCP usually has to send you elsewhere for x-rays. I prefer having it all done at the doctors office so it can be read and diagnosed immediately.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
    hurts2walk
    (female)

hurts2walk HB User

I have flat feet, pronation and have had surgery for ruptured tendon because of walking on those flat feet so long without treatment. It totally affects my knees and hips. I have had custom orthodics for years and can not be without them. They cost me $500. They are worth it. I would start there and see if your son gets some relief but it may be a long road ahead....sorry.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
    cj289657
    (female)

cj289657 HB User

I suffer from flat feet, and as a result, plantar fasciitis. I actually even tore my arch while playing soccer. I ended up having surgery 2 years ago. It was called Topaz. Its non-invasive or minimally invasive (at most a 1" incision). Insurance wouldn't cover a lot of the procedures doctors were recommeding, most of which were completely non-invasive, yet this Topaz surgery which is fairly new was covered because of how our doctor's office codes it to insurance.

Over the years, I saw about 10 different doctors. Right before we had surgery, I saw 5 different doctors. The first one (orthopedic) refferred me to a podiatrist, that podiatrist refferred me to another podiatrist in the same practice. Then we heard about another doctor, and when we saw her, she suggested her husband who worked in the same practice saw me. So right there, that was 5 doctors. 4/5 had different suggestions as to the cause, the real hear of the problem, and treatment options.

And my orthotics, which were partially covered by insurance were $700.

Closed Thread