It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Question about clothing after foot surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
    deedeeartist
    (female)

deedeeartist HB User
    Question about clothing after foot surgery

I am going to have foot surgery and one foot will be non weight bearing for 8 weeks. I will be using crutches and the knee scooter to walk. I would like to know what kind of clothing will be easiest to wear and to dress myself while balancing myself on crutches? Thanks, DeeDee artist

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Question about clothing after foot surgery

I owuld say pull on type clothing - not fitted, zippered, etc. Like sweat pants, gym shorts, tee shirts, etc.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
    monster bunion
    (female)

monster bunion HB User

Hi,
    welcome to the boards. The best way to dress yourself is not on crutches, but while you are on the bed. You can practice this while you are still ambulatory. I think most people who have nothing wrong with their feet, when they try to walk on crutches holding one foot up for a short while, it may seem like a piece of cake. In reality though, after foot surgery, crutches can be highly unstable for some people, especially if you have a heavy cast on, especially when you are on pain medication that makes you less coordinated, and especially if your good foot is not perfect. If your "good" foot also has structure problems, the strain of bearing your total weight will eventually stress your good foot too. I am currently recovering from my second foot surgery, which involves 6 weeks of non-weight bearing, so I have a walker, which I think is more stable (when I first used it, I felt like a nursing home resident), a rolling office chair, a wheelchair, and a roller-aid
    device (a knee-walker), as well as the crutches. Seems like overkill, I know.
    Anyway, I'll be around, as I have nowhere else to go right now, so good luck on your preparations for surgery and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
    emmie54
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

I agree, definitely don't dress yourself while balancing on crutches! I always used my wheelchair for dressing. Although you have the rolleraid I am a big fan of the wheelchair as it is ideal for those situations when you just aren't comfortable being upright. Especially when you are on heavy pain meds or, not to be gross, but when I forgot to take Phenergan with my pain meds and was throwing my guts up. Would have been difficult if I wasn't in the chair! It also gives your "good" foot a break as my so-called good foot isn't that good. You can rent a wheelchair for a month or so and it's not too expensive. I ended up buying mine and am glad I did because I ended up with three foot surgeries. another thing about the wheelchair, someone else can push you around places which allows you to get out some. Like the mall, for instance. It would have been next to impossible to walk our large mall with a rolleraid and definitely not on crutches. But my husband pushed me around for a couple of hours and I felt like a human being that was a part of the world again.

also, I lived in sweats, but all of my surgeries were in the winter so that helped.

Last edited by emmie54; 02-19-2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: added

The Following User Says Thank You to emmie54 For This Useful Post:
    belladog (01-29-2012)
    Old 02-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
    lovelyladi
    (female)

lovelyladi HB User

OK I am 6 weeks into 12 weeks of non weight bearing. I am 60 yo, chubby and my other knee is so, so (but doing great so far!) I have a cast on my leg

I dress while standing on my knee walker. I put panties on lying down on the bed and adjust while standing on knee walker (and heck when I am alone at home I follow Brittany Spears lead) I wear dresses, skirts and sweaters, pants are too hardI put my bra, sweater and skirt on while standing on the knee walker (I would be lost without it).

I have a wheel chair but it does not go through many of the doors in my home. I use it to sit at my desk with my leg up and for a long trip with my hubby...although he discourages it (as does my surgeon) because using the knee walker while hard is good exercise and burns calories. (THank goodness I do not believe I have gained any weight so far with my immobility).

Good luck...it will work out. I can answer any other questions...I am pretty much home for 6 more weeks.

Hugs, Shelly

Last edited by lovelyladi; 02-19-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling

The following user gives a hug of support to lovelyladi:
    belladog (01-29-2012)
    Old 02-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

put on easy laid back clothes. elastic for pants and shorts and loose fitting shirts. sweats are the best.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
    DHS
    (female)

DHS HB User

I have had great luck with pants (wide leg) that I purchased at Jjill and crop pants from Eddie Bauer. There were some days that I just didn't feel like wearing sweats and wanted to feel more "normal". Definitely don't try to dress while on the crutches !!

Old 02-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
    deedeeartist
    (female)

deedeeartist HB User

Thank you all for posting answers to my questions. It helped me a lot. I have been feeling discouraged trying to figure this all out. And my few practice runs have not been very successful and I haven't even had surgery yet! I get it now that getting rid of the crutches while dressing is the thing to do. Thanks again. I appreciate your time and kindness.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
    barefoot14
    (female)

barefoot14 HB User

OK here I go again....this will be my fourth surgery on same foot! In 2002 had bunionectomy and neuroma surgery. The bunionectomy aggravated my 2nd and 3rd toes, which had longer than normal metatarsals. Then had another surgery by same doc for scar tissue at neuroma site. Following year saw a new doc and had surgery from bottom of foot (believe me, don't EVER do that!) to correct the continuing nerve pain and remove another neuroma. That was 2003 and he recommended shortening the 2 metatarsals, but at this point, I had had it with foot surgery and declined. (Big mistake) So over the past few months yoga exercises have caused extreme irritation to the metatarsals, and now here I go again, bone surgery March 9. I already have a wheelchair, crutches, boot, shower boot, will rent the roll-a-bout...lots of experience here but have totally forgotten how to dress for surgery! So I should wear sweatpants to the big event? And I guess the boot goes on over the sweatpants...and I sleep in the boot too as I recall. I am getting my "nest" ready with lots of books, renting hospital bedside table for my laptop, will have ice chest filled with icepacks, water & vitamins close by, anything I am forgetting? Or other tips I have forgotten? By the way, due to the bottom of the foot surgery, the ball of foot is hard and numb and two toes on left foot are totally useless...plus the scar beneath toes hurts when I walk and is irritated by many shoes...the only shoes I can wear lately are Earth shoes as they remove pressure from ball of foot and also make my lower back pain disappear!

Old 03-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #10
    WorldWalker
    (female)

WorldWalker HB User

I was worried about getting dressed after surgery. It's been 2 weeks and I finally got bold enough to try to put on my jeans. I only have trouble because I forgot to clip my nails before so they drag on my clothes and it's tender on my toes. I wear silver jeans with a bootcut which has some good stretching ability. When I went to surgery I wore my most comfortable PJs and I didn't really change until the 2nd or 3rd day. I find myself sleeping in shorts despite the MN cold because I'm able to move better in my sleep opposed to longer pants. I have yet to wear sweats, I find the idea funny for me because I work up a sweat just using crutches. Oy! I have found that it's easier to get dressed by putting my pant leg on the foot that'll have the cast and then it's easier to in a figure of words step into my other leg with my good foot while supporting myself. I do find that wearing a dress/skirt makes you feel like you change the atmosphere to feeling a bit fancy. Maybe you could have a PJ party of sorts so you feel comfortable and watch movies with people while you rest, elevate, ice and relax.

barefoot: my only advise is to ask for a nice batch of comfort food. My friends have made peanut butter cookie drops for me, which I ate and shared with other visitors.

I hope I've helped you out with this somewhat.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
    beccaqt7
    (female)

beccaqt7 HB User

I had the same worries too!
    For the first week I lived in a pair of wide-leg sweat/stretch pants I found at Target. Not sure if they still sell them, but they had a loose waist-band, and even better, the legs are SO wide that they went right over my bandages, surgical shoe, etc. If my pants had any kind of ankle elastic or weren't nice and big, I would've been so nervouse pulling them up and having them touch my feet.
    I never had crutches, so I'm not sure how to cope with those, but very comfy lounge gear should get you through :-)

Closed Thread