It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• 2 weeks post op (Flat-Foot Reconstruction)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
    WorldWalker
    (female)

WorldWalker HB User
    2 weeks post op (Flat-Foot Reconstruction)

I had my flat foot reconstruction surgery 2 long weeks ago and it was rough, but now I've got to get back into the swing of things as best my body lets me. I just had my first day back on campus and it was intense, let me just say the snow can melt away any time now. I should have practiced with my crutches more instead of using my knee roller all the time. That became it's own crutch limiting me to the house. I'm excited for my appointment tomorrow where I get the stitches out and hear how I'm doing. I'm going to take pictures and keep a positive attitude about this. Though I worry I may have broken my toe when I made an error in my crutching, either way it smarts. I'll post again after I see the doctor. Oh and in regards to swelling, I'm doing much better with my medication and there's swelling that worries me cause it's a weird concept since I'm new to this, but it's not a painful swelling. It just feels hot when it happens and I slow down to give myself a breather. I also can wiggle my toes which the doc says is good and it helps with blood circulation. They are tender, but I take great pride wiggling my toes. I hope all goes well tomorrow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
    WorldWalker
    (female)

WorldWalker HB User
    Re: 2 weeks post op (Flat-Foot Reconstruction)

So I took pictures to remind myself at what's underneath and all the hard work and today I saw the 5 cuts he made into me and even better I saw my arch. I actually have an arch! How did other people feel when they first saw their leg after surgery? Did anyone else find the removal of stitches and staples unpleasant? Was anyone else happy that they did this despite the struggle and pain?

Old 03-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
    emmie54
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

I remember being somewhat shocked when I first saw the incisions and my 45 stitches. (Did you count yours?) I only had three incisions - one long one on the PTT side, a shorter but more painful one on the lateral side and a little one in my heel where the screw was put in. My arch wasn't real obvious the first few visits due to swelling but my doctor could see it and said "wow, what a beautiful arch" and I was thinking "WHERE?"
    But after a bit I could see it.

The stitch removal (I had no staples) was a little uncomfortable but I was so excited that I didn't mind. It was like the first step to real recovery and it felt SO much better without the stitches pulling.

Congrats on your first step. (er...so to speak!)

emmie

Old 03-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
    WorldWalker
    (female)

WorldWalker HB User

I didn't look after a while but she told me 50 stitches and staples. The arch is lovely, I'm no longer envious of other's arch. Speaking of first steps I actually just fell before reading your post. I'm resting and icing but it hurts (my poor heel!) and I feel so bad because I just got to a first pivotal moment. I'm still happy I did this, but I feel horrible until the pain stops reminding me I fell and did this to myself at the end of the day. Ergh!

Old 03-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
    elaine2
    (female)

elaine2 HB User

I got you all beat.....not that this is a competition, but I had over 100 stitches and 6 incisions....last April....almost a year...doing pretty well now and walking good! There is a light at the end of the very looooong tunnel....let me know if you have any other questions. I still need my other one done.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
    emmie54
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

oh my gosh, Elaine! Why so many stitches? You definitely win the contest!

Old 03-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
    WorldWalker
    (female)

WorldWalker HB User

So I just got through my first week back at school and I'm cryin ouch (literally). I wish for my spring break sooner than later. I'm looking at the positive and I'm still glad I did this. I feel such a joy knowing I've got an arch. My very own arch.

I fell the other day like I mentioned in my last post and it was after I had stitches removed earlier that day. They took x rays today and said it was ok, but I worry about the incisions perhaps tearing from my fall. I just switched to a different pain killer and I really hurt. My doc says it's from going to school, but it even hurts when I'm asleep. I have to take it every 4 hours and falling behind on it is killer. I ice, but it hurts. Should I worry it's from me falling or just the switch?

The more logical thing is that it's just anxiety and I've never had to go through such a painful procedure. I'm hanging tough. I just worry because it reminds me of what it felt like when the block wore off.

Also, a little competition never hurt. 100 stitches wow!

Old 03-06-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
    hurts2walk
    (female)

hurts2walk HB User

I am sorry you are having such a bad experience. Those of us who have had foot surgery know it HURTS! And it hurts for a long time. Some days are better than others. I did not take pain meds past the 2 week mark.....I did not like how they made me feel mentally and I could still feel pain. I stuck with over the counter pain relievers and did a lot of RESTING and icing. If you are crutching around to classes that is stressful and I think your body wants to rest. You just had some major surgery. Be careful on those MN sidewalks...another batch of snow coming this weekend huh?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
    WorldWalker
    (female)

WorldWalker HB User

I've been looking at the school bus system that may take me from building to building, but my upper arm strength is kicking in and it's getting easier. I fear the upcoming snow!

I can't believe how rough it's been but I'm so very happy for doing this despite the struggle. I know I'll be better in time for the 4th of July and enjoy a partial summer before my next leg needs surgery. I'm resting more and naps help A LOT. I'm a little surprised that the swelling isn't painful, just hot and pudgy. Sometimes it tingles and then it hurts if don't keep up on my pain meds every 4 hours. My doctor wants me to only take what he prescribes because he believes some things thin the blood and hinder the healing. I take my time and it helps with little rewards like coffee for the first time in two weeks and when I get down about school. I look at it like this: Class x4 a week minus spring break I only have 11 days I'll be on campus until my next appointment when I get the boot in April!

Closed Thread