It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• tailor's bunion/ankle pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
    Erin3394
    (female)

Erin3394 HB User
    tailor's bunion/ankle pain

Hi Everyone.

It's been a long time since I've visited the board. Last June, I had a benign fibrous tumor removed from the ball of my right foot. The tumor was very large, and was attached to the tendons. All in all, the foot has healed well, but I have noticed over the last few months that I was having increasing pain on the side of my foot at the base of my little toe. The pain has gradually spread along the entire side of the foot and up into my ankle. Now my ankle is swollen and painful.

I went to see the Dr. yesterday. He took Xrays and said I had a tailor's bunion and had essentially "sprained" my ankle from the way I've been walking to compensate for all the foot problems I've had over the last year. He wants me to wear a walking cast on the leg for two weeks to immobolize the foot and ankle to let things "calm down." He mentioned that if the conservative methods (arch support, possible cortisone injections) don't help, he would suggest shaving down the bone.

After 24 hours of wearing the cast, my ankle/foot hurts more than ever. It's extremely heavy and awkward to walk in. I would appreciate any opinions on tailor's bunions and their treatment. Does the bone shaving really work? Can people really get complete relief from orthodics and cortisone injections, or are we just delaying the inevitable?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
    Janesfoot
    Veteran
    (female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User
    Re: tailor's bunion/ankle pain

I had a tailor's bunion bunionectomy with osteotomy and pin. I think you need to know if the bunion would occur again if the bone is not broken and reset. I would consider another opinion if I were you to be sure it is the bunion causing the pain and swelling. If it is, that sounds like a rather severe bunion. My joint essentially rolled, and my foot swelled. This was after twenty years of living with the bunion. My foot also compensated and I was putting my weight on parts of the foot that could not structurally support me.
    I didn't see the doctor until I had major deformity and discomfort, so I never had cortizone or orthotics. I'm sure there are other members of this board who can offer advice and experience. Good Luck.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
    Erin3394
    (female)

Erin3394 HB User

Thanks for your reply. My doctor did mention breaking the bone and resetting, but he made it sound like the shaving would be the first choice. I'm becoming more and more pessimistic about controlling the problem through conservative means after reading some previous posts on similar issues. Also, the boot doesn't seem to be helping at all. In a lot of ways, it's feeling worse because the boot is so heavy to walk in. How long were you NWB after your surgery? I have 3 small children, so this is a big concern for me.

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
    Janesfoot
    Veteran
    (female)

I actually had a bunion and the tailor's bunion operated on on the right foot at the same time last May. I was pwb right away, but overdid it and had to be nwb for a week. I had the osteotomy and temporary pins for both. After pre-crutch training I decided I would feel more stable with a walker (a blow to my ego!) and brought home both walker and crutches. I drive a standard, so no driving until I could wear a real shoe, that was at six weeks. You really can't do much until the pins come out, mine were out at four weeks. With three kids, you would need help for the first few weeks. If they are school age I would recommend having surgery during the school year. You will be tempted to do more than you should. I walked around too much after the stitches were removed. I never had surgery or a broken bone before, and I paid for it. Now I'm doing very well, so it was worth it. I'll eventually need to have my other foot done, but I'll wait as long as I can. If your foot structue is really out of wack, I'd be skeptical that shaving the bone would be a long-term solution. Keep researching and if possible get a second opinion.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
    Erin3394
    (female)

Erin3394 HB User

Janesfoot - Is the osteotomy considered a permanent fix? It's my right foot, so driving would be another huge concern. With 3 school-age children, I practically live in the car!

I would love to hear from anyone who has had the shaving procedure done as well. I'm supposed to go back to the doctor in 2 weeks, but I may have to go back sooner. This boot cast is killing me!

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
    Janesfoot
    Veteran
    (female)

I doubt any doctor would say you would never have the problem again. I think it depends on the rest of your foot structure etc. I will say my mother had bunion surgery thirty years ago with the osteotomy (back then you would be in the hospital for a week and a plaster cast for many more!) and her feet still looked good. She didn't have a tailor's bunion though. I thought the tailor's bunion side of my foot would heal quicker than the first metatarsal side, but that wasn't the case. For some reason I equated little toe with little problems. My foot is now in good shape and pretty cute too.
    I forgot what "normal" looked like.

Closed Thread