It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• neuroma of the foot (4th toe)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
    bobbi41
    (female)

bobbi41 HB User
    neuroma of the foot (4th toe)

I have been diagnosed (by xray) with a neuroma in my right foot. I have had two cortisone shots which have not done anything to ease the pain. The podiatrist now wants me to have a series of seven alcohol shots and if they don't stop the pain, then he operates (burns the nerve.) Is this the best procedure and what if any are the side effects of such a

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: neuroma of the foot (4th toe)

You need to find another doctor. Cortisone injections do not work for neuromas. Alcohol injections are the proper first option and only 2-3. If they haven't worked by then, they aren't going to. The proper surgery is to remove the neuroma.
    I'd see a sports med ortho who does feet. That's who I saw and removed mine and I had a perfect outcome. That was 7 years ago and no problems since.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
    Edge1073
    (female)

Edge1073 HB User
    Re: neuroma of the foot (4th toe)

I had a neuroma removed from the top of my left foot 3 years ago and now I am having surgery on March 26th to remove a neuroma from the bottom of my right foot! I had the cortisone shot and it did not work either and this one hurts alot!! I have Mulder's click too with this recent neuroma. It feels like I am walking on a marble cause the neuroma has moved my bone around. The recovery time is short if the procedure is done from the top to the bottom. I'm not sure how my surgery will be performed as I will know more this Saturday 3/21. My neuroma is at my 4th toe too and the stinging and burning is really hurting me. I recently had a MRI done just incase and I saw a big neuroma in the pictures.

I would like to know if the surgery is done from the bottom of your foot to remove the neuroma, do you have to wear a walking boot for a couple of weeks?

Closed Thread