It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Foot goes numb and pain increases when elevated?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
    Sh2330
    (male)

Sh2330 HB User
    Foot goes numb and pain increases when elevated?

I had surgery on my foot a month ago and still in pain. I am being told to keep foot elevated but when I do my foot goes numb within 5-10 minutes and my pain becomes unbearable. Any reason why this would be happening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Foot goes numb and pain increases when elevated?

That is not something I have heard of before. Undaunted, I engage in rampant speculation. Again, don't panic over anything I say here, I am guessing.

If you still have a cast, it might be tight. If you had a tourniquet or a peripheral nerve block during the surgery, injury to your nerves or circulatory system might have resulted.

Is the pain/numbness in any particular area? What does the foot, or the exposed parts, look like?

Old 03-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
    Sh2330
    (male)

Sh2330 HB User
    Re: Foot goes numb and pain increases when elevated?

I have not been in a cast for 2 weeks. I did have a nerve block as well as a pain pump installed in my thigh for the first 3 days following surgery. My entire foot is very red, swollen and black and blue. The surgery was done on my second metetarsal and that toe is very black and blue. The thing that I don't get is the redness and bruising is all over the outside of my foot from my little toe to the back of my foot is very bruised and very painful. The numbness is throughout my entire foot.

Last edited by Sh2330; 03-15-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Forgot a sentence

Closed Thread