It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Edema in Both Legs - What could it be? Please Help.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
    RiAnne
    (female)

RiAnne HB User
    Edema in Both Legs - What could it be? Please Help.

I have edema in my both feet, ankles, calves, and sometimes all the way up to my thighs. I literally woke up in the morning 31 days ago with this problem. When it 1st popped up, there was no pain. After three weeks there began to be pain in the inside of my ankles. It is also pitting in my feet and ankles. I haven't noticed pitting in my calves or thighs. I've been to the doctor. She's run tests and said that it is not the following -
    - thyroid problem
    - heart problem
    - kidney problem
    - blood clots
    - pregnancy
    - electrolites

I'm in my 20s. Never had any leg, feet or ankle injuries. My blood pressure is low. I'm not overweight. I take allergy shots once a week. I take allergy medicine occasionally but I hadn't taken it in months when the edema popped up. I'm allergic to things like cats, pollen, dust; things like that. I take a Women's One a Day vitamin almost every day (when I remember to take it). Elevation of my legs helps a little but as soon as I get back on my feet the swelling comes right back. Diuretics don't help at all. Just make me have to pee constantly for about 2 hours. I don't eat an abnormal amount of salt. I tried not eating for 36 hours (only drank water); just to figure out if the swelling would go down (trying to rule out a problem in my diet). The swelling didn't go down at all.

I am just tired of racking my brain trying to figure out what this could be. Does anyone have any ideas? Do you think the doctor may have missed something?

The following user gives a hug of support to RiAnne:
    marsharun (08-22-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
    K_Lana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
    Re: Edema in Both Legs - What could it be? Please Help.

You may never know the cause. My son, who is almost 17 now, has had lyphodema in his right leg/foot since he was about 10. We think it may have started from a broken toe or some injury in soccer. We have had every test on it. He has done some PT with wrapping of the leg with many ace bandages, etc. That helped but he never kept it up. He wears a pressure sock when it gets bad, but he doesn't really care, which is a shame because his foot is especially huge. No cause has been found except that he probably damaged a lymphatic site somewhere.
    It really sucks because I wanted to find some way to make it better, but there really isn't that much out there. YOu can find PT's who specialize in lymphodema wraps and lymphatic massage. That did help him some too.
    Good luck. It is a frustrating condition and very few people are out there that know much about it.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
    RiAnne
    (female)

RiAnne HB User

That is a shame. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
    habebe
    (female)

habebe HB User

I have a electric heater at work that I use in order to keep warm on those chilly office mornings and for some reason the heat causes my feet and ankles to swell right up! Do you use an electric blanket at night? Usually edema has more to do with too much sodium in your body if you have not otherwised caused direct injury to those areas which does not seem what you are talking about.

Try to increase your water in take and eliminate sodas. I found eating a bunch of radishes quite a natural directic. (makes you pee).

The over the counter directics never have worked for me. I was shocked how well a handful of radishes will have you at the bathroom quite a lot as if you drank gallons of water.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:09 AM   #5
    sarkin
    (female)

sarkin HB User

Hi RiAnne,

You are too young to have to deal with lower extremity edema like this! I would not settle with a doc stating that they don't know what it is. If your primary can't tell you, perhaps he/she can direct you to someone who can.

My initial thought was Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD) or some type of lymphatic disorder. You are peeing so much on the water pills b/c they are working, but it is probably a pain to go so much. When elevating your feet, to be really effective, they have to be above your heart.

Good luck. You are your own medical advocate so don't give up on getting an answer Have a blessed day.

Sarah

Old 03-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
    RiAnne
    (female)

RiAnne HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by habebe View Post
    I have a electric heater at work that I use in order to keep warm on those chilly office mornings and for some reason the heat causes my feet and ankles to swell right up! Do you use an electric blanket at night? Usually edema has more to do with too much sodium in your body if you have not otherwised caused direct injury to those areas which does not seem what you are talking about.

Try to increase your water in take and eliminate sodas. I found eating a bunch of radishes quite a natural directic. (makes you pee).

The over the counter directics never have worked for me. I was shocked how well a handful of radishes will have you at the bathroom quite a lot as if you drank gallons of water.
    I haven't ever used an electric blanket. I have never heard that eating radishes would help. I think I'll try it.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
    RiAnne
    (female)

RiAnne HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarkin View Post
    Hi RiAnne,

You are too young to have to deal with lower extremity edema like this! I would not settle with a doc stating that they don't know what it is. If your primary can't tell you, perhaps he/she can direct you to someone who can.

My initial thought was Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD) or some type of lymphatic disorder. You are peeing so much on the water pills b/c they are working, but it is probably a pain to go so much. When elevating your feet, to be really effective, they have to be above your heart.

Good luck. You are your own medical advocate so don't give up on getting an answer Have a blessed day.

Sarah
    I always thought I was young enough to not have to deal with medical problems like this. How I wish that were true. My 66 year old dad is healthier than I am.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
    RiAnne
    (female)

RiAnne HB User

I have a lot of pain in my feet and ankles now. Still no diagnosis. All the internet says about edema is to elevate, elimanate salt, and see a doctor. This is so frustrating. Is edema really that much of a medical mystery or is my doctor just not good? Any ideas?

Old 04-09-2009, 05:12 AM   #9
    sarkin
    (female)

sarkin HB User

Morning,

Here is a nice article I found about lower extremity edema: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524606_3

When you said the pain was getting worse, I first thought of reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD). I haven't done research on this in years, and thought I remembered it was caused by trauma. It may not be solely connected to trauma and the docs I have worked with aren't always aware of it's symptoms.

Have you tried wearing TED stockings. They are white compression stockings that are a bear to get on, but my patients love them once they are on. If you get some, put baby powder on your feet. The baby powder will help you pull them over your heels.

Keep us posted! I hope you get an answer soon.

Sarah

The following user gives a hug of support to sarkin:
    marsharun (08-22-2011)
    Old 03-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
    RiAnne
    (female)

RiAnne HB User

Well; for anyone who was wondering. The doctors couldn't figure out what it was. I figured it out myself. Turns out it was a severe, rare allergic reaction to a medication called Singulair. Apparently, caused massive fluid build up in my body. When I stopped taking the medication the swelling went down but I was left with severely painful and weak Achilles heels. My Achilles have been gradually healing since then. I am finally to the point where I can wear heels again and maybe begin running again. What an ordeal.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
    sarahluke
    (female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User

Hello RiAnne, Thank God that you discovered the cause. I have also had a few rare reactions to medications so I ordered a genetic detoxification profile by a company called Genomix. It was expensive but well worth it considering that taking the wrong medication could result in dire consequences. The test (blood test) looks to see if your body has the genes needed to make the enzymes that the body uses to break down toxins in the body. I had many faulty genes and they gave me a list of medications, pollutants, and foods that my body cannot handle. I found out the hard way after my foot surgery 4 weeks ago I was on heavy doses of acetominophen and by the 2nd week I was so weak that I could barely lift my head. i ended up in the ER because I was so weak and freaked out. I had the beginnings of an acetaminophen overdose because my body couldn't break it down and get it out like most people can. So the acet. was slowly building up in my body every time I took the pain med.
    Anyway, just wanted to let you know about the test since you had an unexpected reaction to singulair. Take care.

Closed Thread