It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Back from my OS visit

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
    Hollywood48
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
    Back from my OS visit

I can't believe it! No wonder everything still hurts so much! I have 3 broken toes (my last 3), sprained foot, and my ankle is still sprained contrary to my thoughts that it was getting better. My doctor was surprised that I was bearing weight and now I am too, but I did tell him that it hurt, but I thought it was just from the sprain so I pushed myself to walk. I didn't mess up my prior surgery though, thankfully (modified Brostrom). He put me in a boot and back on crutches, NWB for now to rest it since I apparently haven't been too nice to it. I am a little in shock...I mean it explains my symptoms, but I just feel so set back. I just went from limping into the doctor's office to being completely NWB!! I guess I am joining all of you who are laid up!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
    Tracie1204
    (female)

Tracie1204 HB User
    Re: Back from my OS visit

Hey Hollywood----

Really sorry to hear about your set back! I know that is so disappointing and upsetting-----take care of that foot and ankle----rest it as much as you can!

I hope you are feeling better soon!

Old 03-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
    Hollywood48
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Thanks Tracie! I am going to rest it. I will elevate it when I'm home, but I don't have a lot of pain with it being down since it's been a few weeks since the injury. So I can't imagine cooping myself up in the house. I will stay completely NWB on the crutches though. I guess I'm most worried about my toes. I've never had 3 broken toes before. He didn't tape them. They are sticking out of the boot. I guess this is okay?

Old 03-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
    Tracie1204
    (female)

Tracie1204 HB User

Hey there----

I am actually pretty klutzy-----I have been known to break a few toes in my day-----dancing, hitting it on furniture, etc-----and I never taped them, so my guess is they are okay. I would say if you think it would help the pain, maybe taping them would be a good idea. But if you are in boot, sometimes the boots kind of "push your toes together"--and maybe that will help too. Can you wear a sock? I know it sounds crazy---but that could help too.

I am only about a week and a half post op, so i am cooped up in the house---i have a wheelchair----so i have convinced my mom to take me out some this weekend---i am VERY excited!!!! I have not been out of the house since Sunday March 8th!!!!

Well let me know how those toes are---and if anything helps!!

Old 03-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I'm glad to hear you got a reasonable explanation for your pain. Have fun with those crutches, and get better soon!

I broke my little toe when I was about 13, and didn't even realize it until about 5 weeks after when it was healed. I was rubbing it and I felt this funny thickening--bone callus.

Because it was just one toe, and my ankle was working, I could walk OK after a few days (once the swelling went down). It healed fine.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
    Hollywood48
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tracie-Thank you!! I thought about taping them, but I will let it go for now and see how they do with the protection of the boot and being on crutches for a while. Oh my gosh you poor thing! I bet you can't wait to get out this weekend! I remember those days! What surgery do you have? What is your situation? How are you feeling?

Jane-Yes, I was glad to get a good explanation. I knew something was wrong, but couldn't figure it out. I asked my doctor why my toes hurt after every sprain and he said it was probably referred pain and also pain from swelling b/c a lot of times that's the natural route the swelling takes. But this time, they are broken from the mechanism of injury. I can see how after your swelling went down, you were able to walk if you had no other injury at the time. I think if it was JUST my ankle OR just my toes, I would be able to walk better. But with both injured, I can't push off either! Are you injured too or just had surgery? Seems like most people on here have. If so, what is your story? How are you feeling?

Thanks guys!! I appreciate someone to talk to!

Old 03-20-2009, 05:58 AM   #7
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

If you'll believe it, I know exactly how you feel. A few days after one of my ankle sprains, I dropped a power supply on my big toe and bruised it bad enough that it got stiff and swelled up. I could have walked on a sore ankle or a sore toe, but with neither one wanting to move I felt like my foot was a block of wood hanging from my knee!

I'm doing excellent now, by the way. I'll try to post my story later today.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
    Tracie1204
    (female)

Tracie1204 HB User

Hey Hollywood!!!

I actually had surgery on March 6th, and had a Tendon repair, Tendon Transfer, kidner Procedure, and a Dywer Calcaneal Osteotomy.

I went in prepared for a 3 hour procedure, and came out of anesthesia to find out my surgery had taken 5.5 hours!!! EEK!! Apparently my posterior tibial tendon was in shreds, and looked like "spaghetti" according to the surgeon! Thank goodness I have a really good sense of humor, so that kind of tickled me (probably was the drugs more than anything!!LOL I apprently was pretty funny according to my family)----

So, once I got out of the hospital, the doctor actually had me come into his office on a Sunday to have my first cast change, b/c he was so concerned about getting that ankle/leg protected b/c of all the work he had done---
    so that was Sunday March 8th, and that was my last trip out of the house!!

I am very excited to be able to go somewhere, even if its just for a couple of hours!!

I feel pretty good, as long as i keep the foot elevated. I dont have a lot of tolerence yet to have the foot dangle, and I know thats to be expected, since i am barely 2 weeks post-op. I go Monday for my next cast change and to have the sutures removed. I passed out last time---so I am hoping that I can manage to stay upright this time! He pulled out a drainage tube and I think that was just too much for me---and it was kind of hot in his office.

Well, thanks so much for asking about me! I appreciate it----Now how did you sprain your ankle? Do you have chrinic sprained ankles??
    I was a dancer for many years, and we think that, combined with some recent running, is what started me on the path to the ruptured tendon.

Well, HAPPY FRIDAY!!!! Talk to you soon!!!

Old 03-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
    Hollywood48
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jane, you didn't!!! A power supply on your big toe? OUCH!!! Did you break it? I can't imagine doing that to my big toe....especially on top of that same ankle being sprained. I think that the big toe would have to hurt worse than the little toes as far as injuries go! I guess you did feel like it was a block of wood. Were you walking on your sprained ankle before you dropped the power supply on your toe? I guess you didn't walk after that! I'm glad to hear that you are doing well and would love to hear your story when you have the time. I love to hear success stories!!

Tracie-Wow, that is an extensive surgery you had there! And only 2 wks post-op at that. It gets better, trust me. How is your pain? What do they have you on for pain? Are you putting ice behind your knee? Are you able to move your toes? If they aren't too sore, keep wiggling them. It'll help with circulation and will keep them from getting stiff especially when it comes time to walk again. I know exactly what you mean about not being able to dangle the foot. That can be so painful, it can be nauseating! It was for me! Definitely keep it up. I think you said you had a wheelchair? Maybe not, i can't remember I'm sorry. Crutches? Knee walker thingy? Have you decided where you going to go on your trip out this weekend?

You asked about my story. It's long so bear with me! I was a gymnast for several years when I was younger. I sprained my left ankle a few times doing gymnastics. I played intramural sports in college and sprained it a couple of times then. After college, I was playing flag football and I came down on it hard and it rolled. I felt a pop and immediate, searing pain started. I didn't go to the doctor right away b/c I thought it was "just another sprain". I elevated and iced it and wrapped it and stayed in the house the whole weekend "hopping" when I needed to get around. It was black and blue on the outside. I eventually got to where I could limp fairly well and it hurt, but I thought it would just take longer to heal. I was dating an athletic trainer at the time who didn't like what he kept seeing, so he brought me in to see the orthopedic surgeon he worked for. I failed the tests he did like the anterior drawer test and the talar tilt test. He felt 2 of my ligaments were torn. We tried conservative methods, but they didn't work. I was still in pain. I went for an MRI that suggested the ligaments were torn. He recommended surgery. That was in early July. I put it off for 6 wks b/c I was in 2 friends' weddings and suffered through those. It helped to have been dating an athletic trainer b/c I got great tape jobs! I had a modified Brostrom procedure done and spent 2 or 3 wks in a cast (that my boyfriend at the time had to put on!!) and another 5 wks in a boot, a month on crutches. Had a couple of set backs because I went back to work too early. I finally healed from that and felt really good. 2 years later, I was hiking in AZ and I popped the retinaculum that they move in the surgery. I went back on crutches for about a week, but pushed through that. 1 year after that, I was trying to close my garage door and run underneath it (long story as to why) and I tripped and my ankle rolled and I sprained the ankle, tore the cartilage, and broke my 5th metatarsal (Jones fracture). That got me 6 wks on crutches with absolutely NWB (deal I made with my doctor to not be casted) and a bone stimulator. I didn't mess up the repair though. Since then, I have a few sprains a year with pain going into my foot and my toes. Most recently, I too, have taken up running (started in Nov 2008) and I was running on the treadmill. I twisted my ankle and went over on it and off the treadmill landing on the side of my foot and apparently my toes too, although I don't remember that. I now have a sprained L ankle, sprained L foot, and 3 broken toes. Back in a boot and back on crutches. I'm becoming a frequent flier! Not fun! I want to walk on it so bad b/c I think with the boot I could. It doesn't allow me to push off my ankle or my toes, so I think that I could. He has me on crutches to rest it since I had been walking on it without anything. I can deal with the boot, I just hate not being able to walk. I don't have any pain with dangling it b/c it happened about 5 wks ago. That's my story! Told ya it was long!

Old 03-20-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
    Tracie1204
    (female)

Tracie1204 HB User

WOW!!!!!!! That is some story, Hollywood---though I must say, it had to be nice to have the athletic trainer boyfriend around during some of those times!!
    You have really done your foot/ankle in!! I have had multiple sprains over the years, and been on and off crutches--broken the toes here and there---but your story sounds like the injuries you have received have been very damaging. I know that gymnasts can have alot of injuries---I really admire them---I love the Summer Olympics watching all of that. Its truly amazing what those girls can do.

My pain level is actually not bad at all. I have times where i have alot of pain, and my heel has been bothering me some, I am sure where its healing and where the hardware is. I am taking Meprozine for pain---it works really well.
    I do have a wheelchair, and thats what i will be using for my outing this weekend. I am going either to the mall or to Target. I don't know if I am up for both yet! I am going to get a knee walker---but the doctor said only wheelchair for now. So probably be a couple weeks before i get the knee walker. I get around pretty good on crutches now that I have decreased my pain pills.I have had lots of practice with crutches, and my mom is a PT, so I have had plenty of training!! LOL

I actually don't mind my walker boot, when I am in it. I think I was in so much pain from the ruptured tendons, that when i went back in the boot for the month and a half before surgery, i was so relieved from the pain, that I just didnt care!!!! I bet you probably could start walking in your boot without too many problems----but maybe wait through the weekend?????

I kind of worry that i DON'T have alot of pain---b/c it makes me wonder if maybe something didn't take?? or maybe its normal now, and thats why I dont hurt so much??? I just dont know

Now-----i say that----but when it dangles------WHOOOO WEEEE!!!!! OUCH!!! Not fun----and I DO pretty much have to keep it at least straight out in front of me at all times, if not elevated----b/c I just cant take it!!

Thats why I am thinking I can do either the mall OR Target, but not both. Its just not gonna work since it wont be completely elevated above my heart while in the wheelchair---but for my own sanity----i have to make a trip out of this house and have some human contact!!!

Thanks again for sharing your story----it really is interesting to see what all we have done to our tootsies!!!

Old 03-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #11
    Hollywood48
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tracie, The gymnastics was definitely in my younger years and I wasn't NEARLY on the level with the olympic girls, not even close. But I did have a good time with it. The injuries I sustained sound bad and they didn't feel good, but I've done fine with them after the recovery was over. I do get tired of spraining it, but since I don't sprain it nearly as much as I did before surgery and most of the sprains are halfway tolerable (maybe a week on crutches), I am just going to be thankful. And it was nice to have an athletic trainer for a boyfriend! They have mentioned that I have a lot of scar tissue and between that at the floating cartilage from that tear, I might need to have it scoped to get it cleaned out. I will entertain that idea when I get to the point I can't take it anymore. Not there yet. So you have broken a few toes too huh? Did you breaks yours when your sprained your ankle too? Were you able to walk on them? How long did it take for them to heal? I've never broken my toes before or if I did, I didn't know it (I've jammed one before). But never 3 at once, that makes walking hard. I thought about trying to walk in the boot. I don't mind the boot at all. Truth be known, my ankle/foot/toes feel a LOT better in the boot than trying to walk without anything (brace or crutches). It distributes the weight differently and doesn't allow me to push off my toes or bend my ankle so it's easier. So I am halfway thankful for the boot. I just HATE not being able to walk. My doctor wants to give it rest b/c I've been walking on it on/off since it happened (was on crutches for a little while after it happened initially). Because of the pain level, he said it's not healing. So he wants me to not walk on it for 2 wks and then ease back into walking in the boot. Doesn't 2 wks seem like a long time for this though? That's why I was asking about your toes. I guess he's most concerned about them? He gave me Lortab for the pain. I don't like it though. It makes me itch and keeps me up at night. I will save it for when I have to walk without the boot I guess.

I know the immense pain you are talking about when the foot dangles. I wanted to vomit. So when you go out this weekend, I am assuming your w/c has the ability to put the leg up so you can rest your injured ankle on it so it's not down? I agree that on your first trip out, you won't be able to tolerate both. It will begin to hurt and you'll have to get home and get it elevated high. That's great that your mom is a PT, perfect!!! Are you allowed to use crutches at all? I know your doc doesn't want you using a knee walker, but what about crutches? I guess not outside the house, but is it b/c he knows you'll be in pain with it down or another reason? I'm excited for you to get to go out!

Old 03-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
    Tracie1204
    (female)

Tracie1204 HB User

Hollywood---I must say, I have never broken 3 toes at once!! The healing time was always about 4 weeks, 6 if i was being really active and not letting the toes have any "rest time". And as far as I can recall, I do not ever remember breaking them, AND spraining the ankle, so I am going to say no to that.....But all i ever really did when dealing with the broken toes, was wear tight tennis shoes. Since, there wasnt any other injuries with the broken toes, I always had the ability to push off using my ankle, so that never seemed to be a problem.

I know that this last time, when I ruptured my Posterior Tendon, my toes were starting to get "involved"(dont know how else to describe it)--and I was starting to experience discomfort in my toes as well, and before I went back to my boot, my toes were causing me problems. Once I went back to the boot, and no longer had to worry about the 'pushing off", they were fine again.

2 weeks DOES seem like a long time---BUT i am guessing he said 2 weeks b/c of the broken toes AND the sprain. If it was just either/or----i would say a week would probably have sufficed. My guess is also, you know, 3 broken toes could throw off your center of gravity, and he might be concerned that you would further sprain that ankle or do even more damage, if you DID walk on it------------does that sound crazy?

I do have the leg lifts on the wheelchair---and I am fairly comfortable in it, with the leg elevated with the lift. I can use crutches in the house, and i do for the most part now, I use the wheelchair if I am going to go to the kitchen for something, but most everything i need is in my bedroom----Since I AM klutzy, we didn't want me having to do more than necessary, so I don't have to go anywhere in the house during the day, unless I have to let the dogs out, and the dogs are really good about staying away from me when i am "on the move"!!!

Old 03-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #13
    Hollywood48
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tracie- Wow, you wore tight tennis shoes when you had broken toes? That sounds painful! I couldn't do that, it would kill my toes! Flip flops are pretty much the only shoes I can wear right now, which isn't stable for my ankle and foot I know. I didn't even think about the fact that he might have wanted me NWB for 2 wks b/c of the center of gravity thing. I bet you are completely right! That makes sense. Probably between that and the pain factor (can't push off the ankle or the toes) he just made it 2 wks for good measure. I just feel like I could walk in the boot. But oh well. Crutches it is for 2 wks.

Interesting that your toes got "involved" (great way to put it, if you've never gone through it, that's a hard one to describe to people) and it was a push off thing for you to, but once in the boot, they felt secure and the pain went away. Exact same thing for me. That's why I feel I could walk in the boot.

You can get a wheelchair in your house and down your hallways and stuff? I don't think I could do that in my house. Maybe the hallway, but it would be tight. But there's an island in the middle of my kitchen so it'd be hard to get a wheelchair on either side of it. That's great that you can do that. Do you get tired of being in your room all day and night though? Do you not like being on the couch in the living room? When I had my surgery, I got tired of just looking at my bed! Once I got out of the immediate post-op period and the pain lessened somewhat, I did the couch thing some. I assume you have a laptop with wireless access then so you don't have to sit at a computer table? That is the nice thing this time around. My surgery was 7 1/2 yrs ago and so my computer was a PC, not a laptop and consequently, I didn't get to use it to help with my sheer boredom during the time I was housebound.

I am trying to wiggle my big toe to keep it moving and sometimes it doesn't hurt to do that and sometimes it hurts the other toes to do that. Toes are so temperamental!!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

No, I didn't break my toe, just a nail bruise. It was a fairly small power supply. And unfortunately I didn't have crutches at the time, but I did get a CAM boot. That helped a lot.

One other thing about ankles and toes. I spent about 6 months walking with a cane or worse. When I had my surgery and got better, I'd literally forgotten how to walk properly. I'd learned to keep my ankle stiff to reduce the pain, and my oh-SO-helpful physical therapist didn't bother to check my gait at all. Three and a half months later, my brother-in-law told me I was still limping a bit.

It took a few days for me to even realize what he was talking about. When I did figure out how to roll my foot and push off again (who really thinks about how to walk?) my toe joints (MTP) ached pretty badly for a few days. I think they'd gotten out of the habit of moving as well. They got over it, though.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #15
    Tracie1204
    (female)

Tracie1204 HB User

Hey Hollywood------Yes, i know----crazy to think of wearing a tight shoe, but I never had more than one broken toe at a time---So it was not nearly as painful as having 3 broken toes at once, trying to squeeze them into a tennis shoe. That was what the doctor always told me to do----wear a tight shoe. But I seriously doubt with 3 broken toes that that would be a good idea at all!!!

And yep, I can get my wheelchair down the halls in my house and wheel around my kitchen and living rooom-----its a tight squeeze in the master bath---it will go---but thats when I use my crutches----I literally get up from the bed, and can go straight into the bathroom-----beds probably 10 feet from the bathroom door---and then about 12 feet into the bathroom to the potty------So its easy to do on crutches.
    I only use the wheelchair around the house when i am just desperate and want some entertainment and so I wheel myself to the kitchen and to the living room, see what the B/F is up to----He was packing for his race trip all week, so I would go in there and see what he was doing.

I made my big adventure out today----I went to Target and to Kroger----That was about all i could handle----even with the leg lifts on the wheelchair---it was not always pleasant---so I know i could definitely not do much each week----but I am going to work my way up to a trip to the mall.

Monday is my next cast change---and I also have an appointment to get my monthly B12 injection----so that will be a "big" day too------Pain killers here i come!!!!!

well i hope everyone is having an enjoyable weekend-----I had some company tonight too----which was fun.

And Janewhite---I can totally understand that whole concept of "forgetting" how to walk----When I came out of my boot the last time, before my surgery last Mary, I had the same issue---I still walked with a limp----took awhile to "re-train" myself------I dont think I will have that problem this time--but who knows----walking right now seems so far off! But i know its gonna be here before I know it!!!

Talk to you all soon!!!

Tracie

Closed Thread