It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

There IS a light at the end of the tunnel. Triple Athrodesis/Ankle Fusion update.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #1
catldyfromnpt
(female)

catldyfromnpt HB User
There IS a light at the end of the tunnel. Triple Athrodesis/Ankle Fusion update.

hi all.. its been awhile since I posted here, but wanted to write an update for those of you who have recently had or are considering having a TA. First of all, if you're considering having it.. get it done and over with. I caused more damage by waiting and had a longer healing time as a result.

I had TA/Ankle Fusion on June 12,2008. I was in a cast from June 14th til January 9, 2009, the long time was because of slow healing. I then went into a walking boot and slowly started to walk with a walker, then with crutches (which was great, because I could get out of the house on my own and go out and do things) and now I'm walking with a cane about half of the time and unassisted the rest of the time. I'm still in a boot because of excessive swelling. every single morning I try to get a shoe on, and each day I get a little closer. I started physical therapy 2 weeks ago and thats made a big difference as well.

So there is a light at the end of the tunnel, it just takes a long time to get to it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Tracie1204
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User
Re: There IS a light at the end of the tunnel. Triple Athrodesis/Ankle Fusion update.

That is great to hear!!! So glad you are making progress!!!! Keep it up and keep us posted on your progress!!

Way to go!!

Old 03-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: There IS a light at the end of the tunnel. Triple Athrodesis/Ankle Fusion update.

Hi, nice to hear from you again. So glad your bones finally decided to fuse!

Old 03-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Dotty00
(female)

Dotty00 HB User

I am new to this message board and absolutely frightened at the stories I read. I am facing a triple arthrodesis very soon and cannot mentally deal with the time it takes to heal.

On a positive note, glad to hear you are doing well. Good luck and good thoughts for your continued progress.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Don't get scared reading about the "worst case scenarios". The people who had good recoveries are out living their lives, not hanging out here. Catlady dealt with a difficult delayed fusion. Most people fuse much faster than that.

Does your general health present risk factors for poor healing? Do you smoke or have circulatory problems? Osteoporosis?

It might possibly help to start taking a mineral supplement including calcium and D now. If you are already well-mineraled, won't make a difference. If you are low, it could possibly help a little.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
Dotty00
(female)

Dotty00 HB User

Thanks for a positive perspective.

I am 50, very active, take supplements...but now lack physical activity because of pain. My issue is severe arthritis...and have tried every possible conservative treatment to date. I am a food technologist so understand about the nutritional aspects. I have had two bunion surgeries with absolutely no issues...very high pain threshold. My goal are to speed walk, golf and moderate hiking......

Old 03-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
scribytoo
(female)

scribytoo HB User

Good to hear from you, Catlady! Glad to hear you're walking. Dotty00, I had triple arthrodesis Sept. 2 and was non-weight bearing 12 weeks, as my surgeon expected. After that I did the walker then cane thing while in the boot. I returned to work Jan. 12 in my athletic shoe and boot and was walking in shoes exclusively a couple weeks later. I celebrated my 6 mo. anniversary on the 2nd of March and realized I had been walking most of the time without my cane, had no pain in my foot and was really happy I did this. For three days this week, I wore sandals to work for the first time in .... 10 years? And my work keeps me on my feet most of the day. At the end of the third day, I had a little more swelling but generally no pain. Don't be afraid. Just prepare for the recovery period as the inactivity can make you a bit depressed, thinking it will never end. But for me, it has ended and my surgeon has released me and I'm happy!
Linda

Old 03-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
Dotty00
(female)

Dotty00 HB User

Thanks for the encouragement. I am struggling with the required level of inactivity involved.....not that I am able to do much now. I travel quite a bit and the ariport walks are terribly painful (and I refuse to get on one of those motorized carts!).

Having a second opinion tomorrow. If the verdict is the same I want to get this over with.

Thanks again!
Dotty

Old 03-27-2009, 05:21 AM   #9
catldyfromnpt
(female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

hi Dotty,
Don't let my experience scare you.. most people heal at a normal rate, but not me. my healing took forever. a friend of mine on here had her surgery in early October and she started walking before me.. everyones different.. definetely go for that second opinion and go with the doctor you like/trust the most. good luck!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
sundare
(female)

sundare HB User

HI, so glad to hear from people I can relate to. I am undergoing ankle fusion on Good Friday, one week from today, I am scared out of my mind for the surgery, the recovery, everything. I've had surgeries in the past because of my arthritis, but still, they frighten me every time. I was wondering if any of you had spinal anesthesia for your surgery? If so, can you describe how the surgery went for you? Like, were you aware of what the doctor was doing? WAS it completely numb down there? Did you watch any of the surgery? Any helpful insight is much appreciated! Not just on the anesthesia, but anything you wish you knew BEFORE going in about the surgery itself, questions you wish you would have asked, etc.

Thanks so much!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #11
catldyfromnpt
(female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

spinal anesthesia? you gotta be kidding me?! I was out. completely out! my main concern abou the anesthesia was waking up during the surgery, but they assured me that wouldn't happen.. then as i was going into the OR, I started having a major anxiety attack and I asked for something to calm me down, cause otherwise I was going to get up and walk. i mean limp. out of there!

good luck with your surgery and feel free to ask any questions.. thats what we're all here for!

~Maryanne

Old 04-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
shelleybutn
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

sundare, by spinal anesthesia you mean epidural.....i asked if i could be awake (sorry, in medical field and wanted to watch ) and they said absolutely not. this surgery is no joke...super intense. you do not want to get an epidural. this surgery is so involved i am glad i was under general anesthesia.

ask any questions you have, we have tons of insight.

shelley

Old 04-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #13
darby3451
(female)

darby3451 HB User

I had a popliteal nerve block and spinal/epidural for my surgery. I only remember little bits of it because the anesthtist gives you IV sedation throughout. I didn't feel anything. It's a good way to go and easier on your body.

Darby

Old 04-07-2009, 07:14 AM   #14
Pam Beeson
(female)

Pam Beeson HB User

Hello:
Just have a few ?s. What does oats stand for? I have had 3 sub talor fusions on right ankle first 2 never held up all started after bad ankle injury in 2000 first surgery was in feb 02 2nd was in nov 02 done well up until a year ago thought i might have torn some ligament or bad muscle tear wasn't sure had a x-ray done showed the fusion came apart .
had another fusion done with a bone graft (cadaver bone) feb 2-2009 at this point i am still in a cast 4 more weeks doc wants me to start weight bearing in 2 more weeks little at a time he says by the time i go to see him may 8 i should be walking without crutches or very little. tried to put foot down but cast is very restricting not sure if i will beable to walk in it. when i put any pressure against foot it seems to feel like a burning sensation on top of foot and also where the scar is on side of foot. has anyone else had this happen? any help would be appreciated. thank you.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:59 AM   #15
shelleybutn
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

pam, if your cast feels too tight then call and get new one. i wasn't weight bearing until they put me in a walking boot. it's very hard to walk with the cast on. they may just want to putting it on floor and putting some weight??? but i would say if they want you to start walking to call and either get boot or another cast...they shape it a bit different when you walk with it (flatten bottom).

the burning sensation is probably where they cut thru your nerves but if it is real sensitive definitely get it checked out.
shelley

Closed Thread