It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Ankle Allograft VS fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #31
    girlwithbadankl
    (female)

girlwithbadankl HB User
    Re: Ankle Allograft VS fusion

I'm going to fly back down in 2 weeks. My flight home was 1.5 hrs and I'm not in too much pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #32
    techmom63
    (female)

techmom63 HB User

I'm so glad you aren't in too much pain, Melissa. Thanks for the clarification on the "strong" letters I will need.

Keep posting -- love hearing your story!

Chris

Last edited by moderator2; 12-08-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: needless quote

Old 11-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #33
    girlwithbadankl
    (female)

girlwithbadankl HB User

Another travel tip- we booked a 4-star hotel in La Jolla through the internet and got a $90 rate at the Estancia spa which is 4 blocks from the hospital. Awesome place. It was a great deal. My husband stayed there for 2 nights during my recovery.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-13-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 11-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #34
    techmom63
    (female)

techmom63 HB User

Hope you're still feeling OK since your surgery, Melissa. Thanks for the travel tip! When you feel up to it, would love to hear what your restrictions are for these first two weeks. I'm sure you are totally non-weight-bearing. Are you using crutches? Are there any other things you are finding necessary to your recovery? Do you have someone at home with you during the day to help you? I'm hoping to plan ahead and get anything I will need ready before it's time for surgery. My mom lives on the east coast, but has offered to come to Denver to stay with our family for a short time after my surgery. I'm not sure how long to tell her I will need her, but I'm thinking at least until after my 2 week follow-up visit.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #35
    girlwithbadankl
    (female)

girlwithbadankl HB User

Hi Chris,
    I went back down to see Dr. Bugbee last Monday and everything went well. They took off the temp cast and put on a permanent cast. Because of my ligament reconstruction, he wants me mobilized completely for 2 mos. The good news is that he bent my foot back to almost a flat postion which I have not been able to do for 2 years. Normally that would make me shriek with pain. There was no pain in the ankle joint. However, my achilles was so tight I'm going to need lots of Physical therapy. They are casting me so that the foot is flexed and trying to stretch those ligaments out. I left very optomistic. The real test will be when I walk on it. I'm not in a lot of pain either. So far so good! Any news on your insurance yet?

Old 11-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #36
    techmom63
    (female)

techmom63 HB User

I have great news from my insurance, Melissa. They are going to cover the surgery! Every time I say those words, I still shake my head in disbelief. I went on the waiting list a little over a week ago. They had a possible match for me this past Monday (sounds like the same day you were there for your first follow-up visit), but Dr. Bugbee rejected it -- not perfect enough. No worries, though. I'd rather be a little disappointed now and wait for something that will be closer to perfect.

Since you are completely non-weight-bearing, do you have someone helping you around the house during the day? I live in a house that has three levels, with the kitchen and living areas on the middle floor. My master bedroom is upstairs, so I'm trying to decide whether to try and put a bed on the main level of the house, or whether I can use crutches to get downstairs in the morning and back upstairs at night for sleeping. My mom can stay for about two weeks to help me get around a bit.

Do you use crutches to get around or a wheelchair? I'm trying to plan ahead and get some of the things I think will make my life easier for when I come home. Based on how quickly I had my first near-miss donor, I'm thinking I could be going for surgery any day! Let me know if you have any suggestions.

I'm so glad to hear how well you are doing. Keep posting! As soon as I get a donor, I'll post to let you know when my surgery is scheduled.

Chris

Last edited by moderator2; 12-08-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: needless quote

Old 12-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #37
    techmom63
    (female)

techmom63 HB User

Quick update, Melissa. I got a graft offer today, and Dr. Bugbee has OK'd it. My surgery is scheduled for Monday, 12/7. If that happens to be when you are scheduled for your 4 week follow-up, it would be amazing if we got a chance to meet each other!

Chris

Old 12-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #38
    girlwithbadankl
    (female)

girlwithbadankl HB User

Great news! I am so glad your insurance willl pay too. Who do you have? I can't remember. I will be back down there on January 7th for my next follow up, so not sure if we will be there at the same time or not. Would be great to meet!

Melissa

Old 12-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #39
    girlwithbadankl
    (female)

girlwithbadankl HB User

Chris,

I didn't answer your last q's about gettiing around. I am so thankful my mom was able to come out for almost 2 mos. She has been helping me. I have a two story house with a lot of stairs. The first two weeks you won't be able to get around because the temp cast is huge! He may put you in a boot after 2 weeks, but with my ligament reconstruction, wanted me in a hard cast for 2 mos. I use crutches. I rented a hospital bed table from Apria for only $8/mo. so I can have my laptop and food etc. upstairs in bed. I bought a shower chair from the drug store to sit on when I shower (I just wrap the cast in a garbage bag. Mom gets kids ready and picks them up from school.

Very excited for you. So thankful you got it covered! Did you even have to appeal it? Doesn't sound like it. Did you have a letter from Bugbee go with the request or something?

Last edited by moderator2; 12-08-2009 at 06:19 PM.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #40
    techmom63
    (female)

techmom63 HB User

Hi Melissa,

I am writing this from my room at the Estancia. Thanks for the travel tip! It's a great place! My surgery is scheduled for 4:00 p.m. tomorrow. I haven't figured out how to do private messages, so if you sent me your phone number I haven't found it yet.

On the insurance front, we are insured with Aetna. And no, I didn't have to appeal anything. After my consult, Yvonne said she would submit to my insurance to see what they said. She called me a week later and said they had all the approvals and were putting me on the waiting list. A few days later, I got my copy of the insurance approval. I don't know what Yvonne submitted to them other than the request for surgery approval. I'll ask tomorrow when I go for pre-op stuff at the clinic.

Thanks for the update on how you've been doing. I'm glad your mom could help you out. My mom arrived in Denver yesterday, and she's staying with my kids until my husband and I get back. Then she'll help take care of me until the end of the month.

I'll post again as soon as I can after surgery!

Chris

Old 12-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #41
    mommaw
    (female)

mommaw HB User

Hi,

I am due to have reconsturection on my ankle in Jan. the Dr. said he is going to put in a metal plate and pins and fuse it to my bone. Arthritis has taken the bone. What kind of recovery time is involved and how much use should I expect to get back? I have already had to have both hips replaced due to arthritis. but this is a whole new ballgame. Please advise what you can and thanks. mommaw

Old 12-20-2009, 12:15 AM   #42
    hwiser09
    (female)

hwiser09 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 45cat View Post
    Hi
    The doctor told me I'm to young to have a ankle replacement, so he suggested a ankle fussion. He told me I can dance, bowl, golf & walk if I get on. I'm asking anybody out there if that is true or not. I would like to know if there is anything else I can look into.
    Thank You
    Hi,

I did some research on ankle fusion pros and cons noted below. it seems there will be no problem with dancing.

Pros:
    pain relief
    the fused joint is stable again
    patients will be able to bear weight on the fused joint without pain
    ability to walk and perform usual activities is restored

Cons :
    ankle replacement may still be a better option for certain patients (very active individuals)
    there is loss of flexibility and motion with a fused joint
    slight possibility of wound healing complications

Old 06-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #43
    tommyriggs
    (male)

tommyriggs HB User

In my oppinion you should by no means have a fusion if you intend to stay active, this procedure will greatly decrease the mobility of the ankle and as you probably already know that leads to other porblems with knee , hip and back alignment. I speak from experience, I have a bleeding disorder which destroyed the cartlidge in my left ankle making it extremely painful 24/7. I decided to have a fusion done in 2000 and that was the worst mistake of my life, I knew right away that it was wrong as soon as able to start trying to put my weight on it agian. I would not bend at all at first, therefore I could not lean in and breathe right. On top of that instead of bending the way it was supposed to in began to roll badly to one side or the other.
    I kept trying to do the things I used to until eventualy the pins bent and a sencond procedure had to be performed to take the pins back out. This of coursse left me in worse pain than ever.

I have read about the ankle allograft transplant procedure and desperatly am seeking a way to get it paid for, this wouild completly turn my life around and allow me to live without pain, what a joy that would be. People do not relize how important theire ankles are to the rest of your body , or how much pain can effect your life.

Let me know how things turn out for you.
    Triggs

Old 06-28-2010, 03:04 AM   #44
    SkatersDad
    (male)

SkatersDad HB User

My son is an American Ice Dancer. He had Allograph in April, 2007 at Wm. Beaumont Host in Troy Mich and is currently the US Novice Ice Dance Champion and waiting for his first International Assignment. His BCBS covered his allograph and this last January, 2010 they went in and took the screws out of his Tibia because they were causing him some pain.

Hang in their and know that you are in our prayers.

SkatersDad

Old 06-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #45
    girlwithbadankl
    (female)

girlwithbadankl HB User
    Smile Re: Ankle Allograft VS fusion

Hi all

After a year of fighting the insurance company (anthem bc) and lossing appeals for the allograft all the way to the state review board, we borrowed $$ from our kids college fund to pay for the surgery ($25k). I couldn't take the pain anymore. I had my allograft surgery on nov 2009 by Dr Bugbee at Scripps in San diego. In addition my ankle was unstable due to torn anterior ligaments so he also did a ligament reconstruction, which was a covered procedure. Both were done at the same time. 2 nights at hospital.

Post-op was fine really very little pain. I was in a huge cast. Luckily we live in the Bay Area so it's only a 90 minute flight home. I was non weight bearing for 3 mos. I flew back for the 2 week, 6 week, 3 and 6 mo follow ups. When I started walking there was really mo pain in the joint. There was soreness in my arch and heel and some swelling. I have pretty good range of motion.

On a side note, when the hospital billed BC for the ligament reconstruction, they billed them for everything. At first I was upset because they may not cover if they find out other procedures were done. Turns out they paid the claim and I got an $18k refund! After all that agony. I was so excited.

Bugbee said this is a long recovery. About a year. I am 7 mos post-op. I walk normal in flat shoes. I still wear a brace. It swells around ligament surgery so I still ice and elevate. No more pain meds except advil. I highly recommend the allograft because you have more options down the road as opposed to a fusion. My issue now is that the arthritis is in my mid and rear foot causing new pains. Will cross that road down the line.

Triggs, not sure where you are but Bugbee will write letter to your INS co. I hope you can get a better surgery. The artificial joints are getting better. I do know Dr Meyerson in Baltimore is doing custom ankles. Talked to a gal there who had in done. I refused to fuse and I'm very happy.

Closed Thread