It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• When should you consider bunion surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
    negot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

negot HB Usernegot HB User
    When should you consider bunion surgery?

I have bunions on both feet. The right one is fairly small and doesn't bother me, but the left one is large and hurts once in a while. My toes on the left foot are crowded and pushed to the left and that has worsened lately. When I wake up in the morning, the first thing I am aware of is the feeling of stiff and crowded toes. I sometimes have shooting pain in my left bunion. Is there anything I can do except for surgery? At what point should I consider surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: When should you consider bunion surgery?

No, there is no cure other than surgery. You could try spacers and see if they give you any relief but that is not a permanent fix.

You should have surgery when the pain interferes with your quality of life and the malformation restricts your ability to find proper footwear.

And see a foot and ankle certified ortho - not a podiatrist.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
    negot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you for your reply. Where do I find spacers?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
    monster bunion
    (female)

monster bunion HB User

Toe spacers can be found in the foot section of any drug store, try Walgreens or Rite-Aid. Get the silicone kind, the foam kind don't work, they slip around. It feels really awkward at first, but you get used to it.

Good luck.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
    cosmic1
    (female)

cosmic1 HB User

I waited too long before I had my surgeries.
    One can wait but the surgery only becomes more complicated.
    I thought that I was so cool and did not consider having surgery.
    However, eventually my great toe pushed the longbone of the second toe out of it's socket. I could feel the bone protruding from the bottom of my foot.
    I had so much pain forever in my feet that this was nothing new.
    This forced me into surgery and lucky for me the second toe returned to it's socket. Had it not would have added a huge complication.
    I had a podiatrist do the surgery....I visited a local orthopaedic surgeon who was into foot surgeries and well known...however, his approach was very different from the POD and I just felt that the POD really knew what he was talking about.
    The POD was board certified and a national Board examiner for foot and ankle surgery.
    Don't discount POD's....but check qualifications
    My severe bunions in both feet have been corrected for years and have remained fine...there are small problems but no pain!!!!

Old 06-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
    negot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I am thinking that I should maybe consider bunion surgery on my left foot. My right bunion is fairly small, but the left is large. The left big toe is pushed to the left and is crowding the other toes.
    What is scaring me is that a friend of my mother's almost became an invalid after having bunion surgery. I am not sure what went wrong, but it was questionable whether she would ever walk again. My sister had bunion surgery on both feet a few years ago and her feet are better now, but she thought the result would be better than it is.
    I have also heard that bunions tend to grow back. Is that true?
    To leave the bunion as it is concerns me. I remember my grandmother having so large bunions that her toes were all on top of each other.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #7
    monster bunion
    (female)

monster bunion HB User

Of course hearing horror stories about other people's bunions is very scary, but their story is not necessarily your story. Now that your feet are on your mind and causing you some discomfort, you should see your primary doctor and get a referral to a podiatrist to evaluate your feet. Right now, you need medical information on the status of your feet before you can make any decisions about what to do. Sure, the prospect of surgery on your feet is a scary one, but if it is necessary, people on this board have gone through it, and with success. Temporarily, you can put a silicone spacer between your big toe and the second toe to alleviate the crowding, or possibly you can get orthotics from your podiatrist to slow down the bunion progression.Good luck.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
    negot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you, monster bunion.
    A chiropractor I used to go to told me that he has a colleague who knows how to make bunions smaller just by adjusting your feet. He said that he has seen results. My chiropractor doesn't know how to do it himself.
    From all that I've read on these boards surgery sounds to be the only way to go, but I should find out about this chiropractor.

Closed Thread