It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Ankle fusion surgery next month

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #16
    DPart
    (male)

DPart HB User
    Re: Ankle fusion surgery next month

Kerry,

I love the nerve blook. I wish there was a way to have it at home. I hate the drugs they make me sick. The nerve block does not affect any thing but were the pain is. Good luck with the fusion. I am happy to answer any questions along the way. I fractured my talus a little over a year ago. Between the trying to get it to heal, the first surgery and fusion I was laid up for over a year. My friends and co-workers did get it. After awhile the support became constant asking why it was taking so long to heal. This made me want to aviod them. My wife and kids were great but it is nice to comunicate with someone who is or has been through it.

Darryl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #17
    kbear
    (male)

kbear HB User

Darryl,
    I'm getting tired of all the questions about how my leg is doing.Although I appreciate the concern,I can't wait until this is all behind me.I will for sure consider the nerve block for my fusion surgery,even though the meds seem to work for me(no side effects).Again, it's been very nice talking to you(or typing with you)about this.You have been very helpful and informative.I will keep you updated.....with more questions I'm sure
    Kerry

Old 06-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #18
    kbear
    (male)

kbear HB User

Another question,after my ankle is fused,will I still be able to drive a car with a clutch?Seems to me I might have some difficulty with this.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #19
    DPart
    (male)

DPart HB User

I have a hard time releasing the emergency break, but can do it. I do use the clutch on my tractor it hurts but I manage. I would think a standard car would be difficult. You need to be able to move your foot quickly. At seven months I still find things I have to do a bit differant. My os said after about a year I would no longer think about my ankle, I can't wait. I know you won't be driving standard for at least 12 weeks.

Darryl

Old 06-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #20
    DPart
    (male)

DPart HB User

Kerry,

This afternoon while driving I tried using my foot as if I were using a clutch. I don't think it is a problem. I am often surprized by what I am able to do.

Darryl

Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #21
    kbear
    (male)

kbear HB User

Thanks for the info darryl.I guess I won't go car shopping yet.It's pretty much just the pain that makes it difficult to drive a stick now.Hopefully that will be over soon.12 more days of work before my surgery on july 20th.Never thought I would be counting the days before a surgery and wanting it to be here sooner.I hope I will be as lucky as you are with the recovery.A non-union is about the only real issue that has me worried about this operation.Any thoughts on this?
    Kerry

Old 06-30-2009, 06:19 AM   #22
    DPart
    (male)

DPart HB User

Yes, I remember counting the days to surgery and thinking it would never come. Ankle fusions are 95% sucessful, but I did worry about non-union every time something did not feel right. Also because the talus would not heal to start with. My x-rays shows that it is fused, but I still worry when I have pain. A Cat scan is the only way to be sure it is fully fused. I am hoping to talk my os into one next week at my 7 month check up. This would put my mind at ease. Once again, the pain I have now is nothing compare to before the fusion and I have read it takes a year for all pain to disapear. My life at this point is back to normal. Good luck with the surgery and feel free to ask question or complain. I have been there and am happy to help.

Darryl

Old 06-30-2009, 11:14 PM   #23
    kbear
    (male)

kbear HB User

Darryl,
    If 95% is on my side, I feel pretty good about my odds.I sure hope your next check up goes well.You have helped put my mind at ease more than you know.....thank you again!
    Kerry

Old 08-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #24
    kbear
    (male)

kbear HB User

It's been 16 days since my surgery and everthing is great so far.I have zero pain in my ankle now.Even the day after my operation, I felt little to no pain at all.I know I have a couple more months to go before I can put weight on it but I feel like I could walk on it right now.
    Kerry

Old 09-02-2009, 12:24 AM   #25
    mammymim
    (female)

mammymim HB User

please tell me what type of ankle surgery you had. was it a fusion & if so what was fused. I am facing triple arthrodesis soon of my ankle & wonder how it will be after to walk on.
    Thanks

Old 09-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #26
    Lo4grace
    (female)

Lo4grace HB User

Hi, keep reading all these posts, they helped me so much. I had one fusion surgery. I am 2 months post op and am doing really well. The pain has gone down. I get a walking boot the end of this month.

I have been able to get out 3-4 times a week and get around great on my knee walker--which is a must.
    Physical therapy I am sure will be a challenge and part of the hardest part. Because when you are in a cast you dont have to put weight on it. But once we get through that, we are home free. I got so worried and stressed out about the surgery about weather or not to get it. It turns out I really needed it and moreover I am glad I did it.

I wish you the very best! If you have any questions let me know

Lorraine

Old 09-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #27
    mammymim
    (female)

mammymim HB User

Hi, Thanks for the info. These posts are wonderful. I am scheduled & have put it off until Dec 15 so I can get my lifr together first. I realize now that I may not be able to go back to nursing as I really am a bedside nurse & that may not work with the recovery. i am now planning on not being able to go back for six mths & then we'll see. Thanks so much. Mammymim

Old 09-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #28
    Lo4grace
    (female)

Lo4grace HB User

Yes indeed PLAN! That is something that took me a few months. It pays off! Arrange your house/bedroom to get things near, clean, pull the rugs, make space for yourself, stock up on food. Get as many groceries and goods that are necessary. Also I lined up people ahead of time to help me, so I wasnt left without needed help.

I am reaping the benifits now of my planning.

Hope this helps

Old 09-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #29
    Lo4grace
    (female)

Lo4grace HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mammymim View Post
    please tell me what type of ankle surgery you had. was it a fusion & if so what was fused. I am facing triple arthrodesis soon of my ankle & wonder how it will be after to walk on.
    Thanks
    I had ankle fusion of the talonavicular joint. I also had two screws removed on the right side of the ankle and a little bone graph to fill the holes, Praise God I am doing good and the xrays look good. Sept 22 this cast comes off and I begin with a boot.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:57 AM   #30
    kbear
    (male)

kbear HB User

It sure is great to have a place where we can share what we have been through to help others.The info I got from here(from Darryl)helped me alot.I am almost 8 weeks post op and still in a cast.My next visit to my doc is sept 23rd and most likely I will be in a boot,I hope.
    Kerry

Closed Thread