It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Ankle fusion surgery next month

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #31
    DPart
    (male)

DPart HB User
    Re: Ankle fusion surgery next month

Kerry,

Glad to hear you are doing well. Eight weeks you are a good way through. I had to have surgery again. My tibia/talus fusion was solid but the fibular was not attached correctly and rebroke. Also one of the screw heads tore a tendon. Both are fixed now but still on crutches and have been for the past six weeks. Don't let this scare you it is not the norm. During my three months of walking after the fusion I was able to completly return to all activities and walk without a limp. My OS says he has ankle fusion patients running marathons. Good luck next week. I hope you are on your way to walking pain free.

Darryl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #32
    boston18
    (female)

boston18 HB User
    Smile Re: Ankle fusion surgery next month

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mammymim View Post
    please tell me what type of ankle surgery you had. was it a fusion & if so what was fused. I am facing triple arthrodesis soon of my ankle & wonder how it will be after to walk on.
    Thanks
    Hi

I had a triple arthrodesis done on Sept 10th, My doctor used a cadaver bone but I will not know if it took until about the 4th week. I will tell you how my surgery went...........The anesthetic and pain meds made me deathly ill and it took 6 days in the hospital to get over that. I feel great now and am only taking lortab as needed for pain about every 6 hours. On Thursday sept 24th I will have the soft cast removed and they will xray to see how it is going. I'll probably get a boot or fiberglass cast put on..........I'm using a walker and wheel chair for now and they say I'll get to use crutches later. If I had not gotten so sick and nauseous it would have been ok so be sure you know what they are giving you before, I Thought I was geting a block and I didn't know I was allergic to morphin and something else.........
    By the way it is amazing how each day gets better and the thought of walking pain free is awesome. I will have the other foot done later. It is suppose to be 12 weeks before I test the weight bearing.
    Good Luck and keep us informed.
    Carole

Old 09-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #33
    boston18
    (female)

boston18 HB User

I must agree that planning ahead is a huge key to a smooth recovery. I was lucky to have so much help and I did get my house ready for a wheelchair and walker. Hardest part for me was not being able to have my house in perfect order.....I learned you have to let go...........I am hoping to get my hair done next week as a treat if all goes well.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #34
    Hilltown Maple
    (female)

Hilltown Maple HB User

Hi,

I'm "supposed" to call the Dr. this week and set up my ankle fusion. I plan on having the surgery in mid-December. Thanks for sharing your experiences - it really does help to hear what others have been through.

I originally injured my ankle almost 30 yrs ago - wow, I just had to do the math - that's a long time ago! I was a cheerleader and jumped off a girl's shoulders and landed on a marble floor, broke my leg, foot, ankle and dislocated my ankle. When I got to the ER they thought I had been in a high speed car accident. Dr. talked about screws, pins and plates but none were used. I had surgery a year later to remove scar tissue. I had to give up many activities and adapt to limited use of my ankle over the years. I had orthoscopic surgery 13 yr. later to clean out the joint and now 6 yrs. later I'm looking at ankle fusion. Cortisone shots worked for a while but now they only last about 3 months and I have so little movement in the ankle joint the new special ankle Dr. (very tall w/ the most beautiful cowboy boots!) is saying I wont be missing much but the pain. Last 2 Dr. have said that I would be looking at fusion and I guess that's where I'm at but it just seems so permanent. What if they don't get the angle correct but the fusion is good? I'm really worried about the angle. What have your experiences been?

I'm also looking at going into this in the dead of winter - snow and crutches don't go well together - but it's now or in June and I don't know if I can take another winter w/ the pain. The info on planning ahead was very helpful.

Happy to have found a site where folks have walked in my shoes - limp and all.

~Hilltown Maple

Old 09-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #35
    kbear
    (male)

kbear HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DPart View Post
    Kerry,

Glad to hear you are doing well. Eight weeks you are a good way through. I had to have surgery again. My tibia/talus fusion was solid but the fibular was not attached correctly and rebroke. Also one of the screw heads tore a tendon. Both are fixed now but still on crutches and have been for the past six weeks. Don't let this scare you it is not the norm. During my three months of walking after the fusion I was able to completly return to all activities and walk without a limp. My OS says he has ankle fusion patients running marathons. Good luck next week. I hope you are on your way to walking pain free.

Darryl

Old 09-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #36
    kbear
    (male)

kbear HB User

Darryl,
    Sorry to hear about your ankle.....after my first surgery did'nt work out I wanted a refund....turns out it does'nt work that way.I hope to be back to work in november, about 13 weeks after my fusion.If I start running marathons I will sure let you know,but for now if I could just walk normal again I would be very happy!!!Get well soon.
    Kerry

Old 09-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #37
    DPart
    (male)

DPart HB User

Kerry, I don't plan to run marathons either. Just would like to walk, take care of my garden and kick the ball around with my kids. I do plan to return to skiing. I am doing good with my walking. Still swelling and pain, but over all encouraging. Take care Darryl

Old 04-20-2010, 01:20 AM   #38
    kbear
    (male)

kbear HB User

Darryl,
    Hope you are doing well.I have been back at work for almost 4 months now.Still getting use to the non-mobility of my left foot,but now I walk with almost no limp, and with almost no pain.I want to thank you again for your feedback,it helped me alot.
    Kerry

Old 04-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #39
    DPart
    (male)

DPart HB User

Kerry,

Glad to hear your ankle is doing well. If you are back to work and have little pain you are on your way. While my fusion is soild I still have pain. The doctors have been unable to figure it out. They do all agree it has nothing to do with the fusion. I am happy I could help. Darryl

Old 04-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #40
    mammymim
    (female)

mammymim HB User

Hi, I had surgery 4 mths ago for an ankle fusion, when in there the surgeon realized I didn't need the whole ankle fused but rather the midfoot, so I had 3 fusions in all..they are fused, they could not repair the PTTendon ..I need a cane only so I have no limp but can walk OK without it,justa little limpy. am gettin a new orthotic made for the shoe this week...I work as a nurse on the floor & am spacing my shifts apart si I work about half time . I swim but no big long walks yet.Foot still alittle swollen in midfoot..not really painful, just a weak feel. The calf is still smaller & I am working on that. the pain I had persurgery is gone. Keep healing

Closed Thread