It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• ankle surgery? I don't know what to do?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
    Kenneth Pochuba
    (male)

Kenneth Pochuba HB User
    Exclamation ankle surgery? I don't know what to do?

ok i recently broke my fibula in 2 places Xray
    <removed>

the doctor said i need to have plate and screws put in the said if i do not get the surgery i would have arthritis at a early age. My mom broke both her ankles and did have surgrey and still has bad arthritis in her ankles i do not no if i should have it or not the main reason why is i have high blood pressures and overweight and asthma and do not want to do something that i do not have to do if the out come is going to be the same!

my surgery is set for this friday so if someone could please tell me what i should do :-(

one thing i did not say is i just recently turned 18 i no age is a big factor also thats one thing they did say they said if i was younger i would not need surgery so yeah

NOTE I'M ONLY ASKING WHAT WOULD DO IN MY CASE

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-10-2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Do not post pictures or websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: ankle Sugrey ? dont no what to do

I'm sorry to hear about your injury.

No one can guarantee that you will recover well, whether you have the surgery or you don't. In certain cases, surgery can speed up healing and decrease the probability of permanent damage. Also, if the surgery is going to be performed, sooner is better than later, ideally within a couple weeks of the original injury.

What is your surgeon's background? Do you know how many broken ankles he has repaired in the past?

Old 06-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
    Kenneth Pochuba
    (male)

Kenneth Pochuba HB User

he has been around from about 20 years so i would say alot the man thing im worryed about is the Anastassia

Old 06-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Make sure that the anesthesiologist (a doctor whose specialty is sedating or numbing people for surgery) knows about your health, of course, but they are very experienced. They monitor you every minute, and if they think you might be in danger, they bring you out.

If the anesthesiologist thinks that general anesthesia is dangerous for you, he might just do a nerve block and then give you a mild sedative, that just produces regular sleep.

After the surgery, be sure to follow instructions very carefully. Take your pain medicine, keep your leg propped up above your head, and use an ice pack behind your knee to keep the swelling down.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
    Kenneth Pochuba
    (male)

Kenneth Pochuba HB User

well surgery went overall ok you could say surgery was 2 hours not 1 hour due to it was a worse than what they thought.

now i have some pain issues when i go to the bath room takes me like 3 min there and back my ankle is killing!! I put it up and it still hurts for like a hour after that also my leg is burning on the right hand side i am in a cast. What would u do about sleeping? having it propped up so high is really hard to sleep with it up?

they did give me a block the didn't do nothing it stopped working like 3 hours after i got home so yeah:-(

Last edited by Kenneth Pochuba; 06-13-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yeah, bathroom trips are rough at first. As is pretty much any moving at all. In fact, you're going to be spending about a month with your leg propped up most of the time. Still, in a few more days you should be able to tolerate being vertical long enough to get to bathroom and back without such pain.

Do you have some pain medicine? Take it on time. Sleep on your back with your leg up on pillows if at all possible.

Hang in there. You will get through this.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
    Kenneth Pochuba
    (male)

Kenneth Pochuba HB User

im on viks yeah what about the burning in the lag and in the back on my foot

Old 06-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: ankle surgery? I don't know what to do?

Have you tried ice packs? If your cast ends below the knee, you can put one behind your knee and it'll cool down your whole leg. Or, you can put some on top of the cast. (carefully wrap in a towel so it doesn't leak or sweat, of course.)

Closed Thread