HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   lapidus fusion, hammer toe and tailor's bunion surgery (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/698225-lapidus-fusion-hammer-toe-tailors-bunion-surgery.html)

lisafran 06-13-2009 01:21 PM

lapidus fusion, hammer toe and tailor's bunion surgery

I just learned the news that I am going to have to have lapidus fusion, hammer toe surgery on all my toes and the removal of a tailor's bunion.

If there is anyone else who has had this surgery, can you please let me know about your recovery? I am very nervous as I understand that my rehab will be quite lenghty. If there is anyone that could share their experiences, I would be very grateful!

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lisafran

monster bunion 06-14-2009 09:57 AM

Re: lapidus fusion, hammer toe and tailor's bunion surgery

Welcome to the boards. I can only speak to the lapidus bunionectomy, I had one done on each foot. If I had three feet, I would have had to have three surgeries, I'm that lucky. Having surgery on your foot is a scary prospect for anyone, but you can help allay your fears by doing everything you can to prepare yourself and your house for surgery. Try doing a search on this board and type in "preparing for bunion surgery (or hammertoe surgery, or tailor's bunion surgery). You will find many helpful hints. Your doctor is the best source for information, but more often than not, they will not have gone through the actual surgery themselves. I have never had a real major surgery before so it was a high learning curve for me. Although your surgeries are considered "minor same-day surgeries", the recovery can be quite major. My uncle had bypass surgery and he was up and about pretty quick while I was down for a looong time. If you have young children, the surgery can be quite upsetting for them but it helps them think of other people besides themselves.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Janesfoot 06-14-2009 01:33 PM

Like Monsterbunion, I can only speak to one of the surgeries, tailor bunion, though I had a bunionectomy (no fusion) on the big toe side of the same foot at the same time. I had an osteotomy, cut through the bone, on both also with temporary pins. The big toe side healed faster than the tailor bunion side. I have come to learn that breaks on the fifth metatarsal can be slow to heal.
I will need the same surgeries on my other foot in the future, and will not hesitate to do it when the time comes. I have healed well and was doing aerobics at five months. You will learn a lot from this board, including questions to ask your doctor. Good luck.

lisafran 06-15-2009 05:35 AM

Thank you so much for your post. I appreciate the comforting words!!! I hope you are feeling better!!!

Lisafran

lisafran 06-15-2009 05:37 AM

[QUOTE=Janesfoot;4012204]Like Monsterbunion, I can only speak to one of the surgeries, tailor bunion, though I had a bunionectomy (no fusion) on the big toe side of the same foot at the same time. I had an osteotomy, cut through the bone, on both also with temporary pins. The big toe side healed faster than the tailor bunion side. I have come to learn that breaks on the fifth metatarsal can be slow to heal.
I will need the same surgeries on my other foot in the future, and will not hesitate to do it when the time comes. I have healed well and was doing aerobics at five months. You will learn a lot from this board, including questions to ask your doctor. Good luck.[/QUOTE]