It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Dropped the boot and in tennis shoes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
    yaohua
    (female)

yaohua HB User
    Talking Dropped the boot and in tennis shoes

I went to see my OS today (12 weeks post-op). I walked in my doctor's office in boot without crutches. I was told to put my weight on both feet while having x-ray taken. I had to climb two stepw up to the plateform for the x-ray. It was scary, and I was afraid to step up on the stairs. My x-rays turned out great. Dr. told me to drop the boot and start walking in tennis shoes. He had a technician fit me a light weight ankle support made by Bauerfeind (made in Germany). There we go, and my foot got in my tennis shoe. It was a little bit tight with the light weight ankle support and the custom made orthotics in the shoe. I could only tie the shoelace a little bit. But it was a funny feeling in an actual shoe. I managed walking from doctor's office to the parking garage (5 minutes walk) slightly limping, not a pretty sight. But I did my walk without any assistance. I am still afraid to put weight on my right foot. And I guess I will have to adjust a little bit everyday, just like dropping crutches and went without any assistance walking in boot. Tomorrow may be better. I was told to expect some pain when walking in tennis shoes.

My doctor also told me that I can start driving, swimming, exercising, etc. Just don't run and play sports like tennis, etc. There is no problem b/c I don't play those sports, I am just very happy for being able to drive, swim, and exercise. In the meantime, I will still continue my PT for another 4 weeks (3 times a week). After PT, see him again in September for 6 months followup. I think, gradually I am on my way to total recovery. But my doctor reminded me that it will still take 10 months to a year to have a total recovery. Anyway, I am happy, happy, happy.......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
    mary2
    (female)

mary2 HB User
    Re: Dropped the boot and in tennis shoes

Hurray for the good news!!! I can only imagine your relief. I would love to be able to drive at 12 wks.

I have a question. Are you using and old orthodic?? I am wondering when to get a new orthodic made for my foot with a new arch that never had an arch before. I hope to get into a boot this Thursday and out of the fiberglass casts. I am almost 8 wks post surgery.

Did you use your orthodic in the boot?

Enjoy your new freedom!!

Old 06-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
    yaohua
    (female)

yaohua HB User

Mary, I used my orthotics inside the boot. This pair of orthotics was custom made in November last year (before surgery). Yesterday, doctor told me to start walking in tennis shoes and he also gave me a prescription to have my current orthotics (made in Nov. 08) modified/adjusted to fit my after surgery foot. He wanted them to add more support at certain area. So I believe that we don't really need a new pair, just to have the old one modified.

While I was in boot, my orthotics was always in the boot. For the other foot, I wore my tennis shoe with orthotics when I go out.

The light weight brace made by Bauerfeind fits nicely. It is very difficult to put on (like a compression sock), but feels good once it is on. I feel it gives me enough support and helps my confidence. I checked online that this little brace is very expensive ($90). I think it is going to take a little time for me to get used to real walking again. Just like I needed crutches at the beginning of boot wearing to give me confidence until I felt comfortable to drop both crutches. Doctor did give me prescription of pain pills yesterday, just in case I experience pain when walking in tennis shoes. So far, I am ok b/c I have not walked very much.

Mary, you are about one month behind my schedule. Hope everything works out well for you too.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
    walleye77
    Veteran
    (female)

walleye77 HB User

Yaohau,
    What great news!!!!! At 12 weeks you are doing awesome and to get to wear 2 shoes that match!!!! Keep up the good work and take it slow.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
    yaohua
    (female)

yaohua HB User

Walleye, I definitely will take it slow. Yesterday was excitement, today is a different story. I experience pain walking in tennis shoes. The pain that was probably caused by the tightness of shoe. I am thinking to get another pair of tennis shoes that is 1/2 size bigger. The orthotics, sock, and light weight brace, plus the swell made the shoe feel very tight. I am working on my gait, but I still walk with a limp. Even without too much pain, I feel like I don't remember how to walk normal anymore. Hope tomorrow is a different for the better. I kept telling myself, "Be Patient".

Old 06-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
    hurts2walk
    (female)

hurts2walk HB User

Hang in there! I hear you about feeling like you don't know how to walk normal anymore.......

Old 06-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
    yaohua
    (female)

yaohua HB User

Yeah, that was exactly how I felt! I walked better if I used one crutch. But my husband wanted me to practice normal walking without any walking accessories. Well, I will work on walking normally tomorrow. I also have PT tomorrow. Maybe she can help me out.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
    Tracie1204
    (female)

Tracie1204 HB User

WOW!!!! Out if the boot at 12 weeks!!!! Way to go!!!!! I am jealous!!!

Keep up the good work!!!! That is so great to hear!!

Tracie

Old 06-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
    walleye77
    Veteran
    (female)

walleye77 HB User

It is really hard to have a normal gate. It takes time. I was kinda hoping that if I could walk fairly good in the boot I could get out of it and walk like everyone else in the world. Ya Right. We have lots of work ahead of us, but we will succeed. its like I think I can I think I can, Oh yes I can!!!!! New motto. I know I can how about you?!!!! One step at a time.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
    yaohua
    (female)

yaohua HB User

Thank you Tracie. You are not too far along on your recovery. Good luck!

Today is a better day for me than yesterday. My PT had me practice walking. Such a simple thing, but I had to learn it again. When I started walking properly, I began feeling pressure and slight pain on the heel. I need to practice more. My PT said that she did not realize that my foot was so weak once the boot is off. She had me done a lot of new exercises to build up my ankle strength and leg muscle. She said that my ROM was good. After PT my husband and I went to a salad bar for dinner. After dinner I told my husband I wanted to drive home. So I drove home the first time in about three months. I tried not to follow too close to car in front of me. Pressing brake took a little more of the foot strength than pressing accelerator. But I think I can manage it better as days go by. Tomorrow I will drive solo to work.

Did anyone notice that your foot and calf (where cast was) were thinner when the hard cast was removed? I was told that it was becuse of lack of exercise and weight-bearing, which shrunk the muscle. The muscle will come back once I start exercising my leg, foot, and weight bearing. Also, my injured foot has a slight osteopenia (based on the newest x-rays taken a few days ago) b/c of lack of weight bearing and exercises. Doctor said that this condition will improve as I resume exercise and walking (weight bearing). I guess that these are the byproduct from the long recovery of surgery. As long as they can be improved, it is fine with me.

Closed Thread