It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• microfracture surgery a little over a week ago

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
    joepti
    (male)

joepti HB User
    microfracture surgery a little over a week ago

I had the microfracture surgery a little over a week ago, am on crutches, and was told not to put any weight on my foot for the time being. Yesterday, eight days after the surgery I tripped on my crutches while going up the stairs and my full weight (195 lbs) was placed on my foot for a second or two. I know this sounds trivial but I have had people tell me that it could be a real problem as the force from that step may cause a setback. Does anyone know the reality of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
    dizzizzi99
    (female)

dizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB User
    Re: Osteochondral Surgery/debridement/drilling medial talar dome (post surgery)

Joe,
    I would not stress yourself out too much. I think almost everyone has it happen at least once. I know I did and told my doc and he had said not to worry. I think the repeated impact is a bad thing. Bet it sure hurt! Somwhere on one of these threads the people got to sharing their crutch falls and they all seemed to find some sort of humor in the embarrassment of it. So I think if they are all laughing about it, it didn't turn negetive. No loud crunch noise or REAL bad shooting pains like a new break? Stairs and crutches are not a good combo. I fell down my wood basement ones from the 2nd stair after my second surgery. After that i just carried the crutches and used my butt for a few weeks.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
    joepti
    (male)

joepti HB User

thank you for taking the time to write. i spoke with my surgeon today and she confirmed what you said. i thought that was probably the case but was still quite a relief. I was disappointed that she said I can't start swimming for another two weeks, which will be over three weeks from the surgery. i didn't quite understand if the swimming motion itself would be deleterious to the recovery process or if she was more worried about infection.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
    dizzizzi99
    (female)

dizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB User

I'm thinking that when swimming you do a flipper type motion with your foot and thats what they want you to avoid. I love the swimming. It is the one time I can move without pain. I should have been a fish. This gravity and ground thing is a pain in the a..(nkle).

Old 02-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
    DMKaplan
    (male)

DMKaplan HB User

Joepti
    14 days after my surgery the doc pulled my stiches out and said it was okay to swim. At that time my ankle was still very stiff. I used a pull buoy between my legs in order not to have to kick. Now 5 weeks after surgery I do not have to use the pull buoy. My kick is much stronger. I would highly recommend getting your doc to okay getting in a pool.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
    joepti
    (male)

joepti HB User

DM:

Thanks. That is what I wanted to hear. Her concern is all in regards to infection. She wants the incisions to heal completely before any immersion. I think she is being fairly conservative. I think it is quite likely that I will be totally healed well before the next two weeks (that would be over three weeks after the original surgery). I need to exercise.

joe

Closed Thread