It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

broke most of the bones in both my feet

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
littlebearsign
(female)

littlebearsign HB User
broke most of the bones in both my feet

Hi everyone:

I'm new to this board and do not know what the terms mean (WB - OATS - OCD AND SO ON...). Could someone help me out? My story is...I was in a serious car accident in 08/97 where I broke most of the bones in both my feet, crushed my right ankle and snapped all the tendons in my right ankle. Doctor said would never walk again unless I had my ankle fused and used a walking aid. I refused the fusion and had surgery to fix the other issues. I was out of my wheelchair in 6 months and did walk without aid until about 5 years ago.

During the last 3 years things have gone really gone downhill. I tried a KROW boot and gave it up because my hip and lower back would hurt so bad. Then I tried a KROW boot with a special made boot for my left ankle. While it helped to have both feet walking at the same height, 1 boot weighted 4.5 pounds and the other weighted 2 pounds. Eventually the weight difference caused severe pain in my lower back and hips. For the past year or so I was able to do fairly good wearing a pair of quality hiking shoes. I was able to walk short distances, move around my house and yard and then using a wheelchair for longer walking distances and shopping trips. Last April I tried Rock Repelling down a 60 foot cliff and had a accident (my right knee twisted out and my right ankle rolled in and I fell on it). I am afraid this accident finished off my right ankle. I tried the KROW boots again and I am unable to walk in them at all without extreme pain. I HATE being in a wheelchair. So....I am facing ankle fusion if I want to be able to walk at all without pain or with a great deal less pain.

FINALLY, I get to my questions.......Has anyone had an ankle fusion? How was the recovery? How long did it take? What did it take (ie PT)? Are you happy with the fusion?

I want a allograph (transplant) as opposed to a implant (replacement). Doctors won't do a replacement/implant on me because I refuse to slow down and give up some of my activities AND my insurance won't cover a transplant. Plus all the good doctors who do the transplants are on the East Coast, I live on the West Coast and can't afford to pay for it myself.

Oh yeah, I am 58 years old, grandma to 5 very phyiscally active grandsons who are into sports, hiking, camping and anything else they can find to do. This grandma wants very much to be right there with them.

I appreciate all who who respond. Thank you.

Last edited by littlebearsign; 06-24-2009 at 11:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
dizzizzi99
(female)

dizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB User
Re: OATS Talus update 5

Wow Littlebearsign, what a story! Sounds like everyone is making progress and thats nice to hear. There are alot of people on the foot problem thread who have had fusions and still maintain alot of activity. You'll have to read some of the threads.
Wb is weight bearing, OATS is a procedure where they replace bone and cartilage with either your own or a cadaviar or synthetic plugs. Autograft is from yourself and Allograft is from another source. An OCD is an osteochondrial defect. PWB = partial weight bearing, PT phisical theropy.
Sorry about spelling errors.
Sure wish they would do the replacements. I know they say they are only good for ?? ammount of years but they don't understand that those good years are better than NO good years.
Wishing you good things. And happy recovery to all

Old 06-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
anklehelp
(female)

anklehelp HB User

Wow is right, littlebearsign!
You are an inspiration. I like your spirit to never give up on doing what you love. There's a guy on this board somewhere "dpart" who had an ankle fusion and seems very pleased. You should look him up on here or look for his threads.

Best Wishes to you...

Old 06-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
littlebearsign
(female)

littlebearsign HB User

Hi: What are "PLUGS"? What does OCD mean? Thanks, littlebear

Last edited by littlebearsign; 06-28-2009 at 10:58 AM.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
anklehelp
(female)

anklehelp HB User

OCD: osteochondritis dissecans, Some doctors refer to it as OCL: osteochondral lesion or OCD lesion. Osteo is referring to the bone. Chondro is referring to cartilage. So it's a lesion on your bone and or cartilage. Because cartilage has poor blood supply, these things will usually not heal on their own and require surgery.

Plugs are just that, plugs. A surgeon will take a plug from your knee (autograft), a cadaver (allograft) or in some cases metal or cement plugs and stick them into the lesion. If the surgeon uses a human plug, they will take a plug of bone with cartilage on top and stick it into your affected lesion. They use a device that looks like an apple corer to remove a plug from your knee or the cadaver bone.

I had a 9mm lesion on my right talus (ankle). My doctor took a 9mm plug of bone and cartilage from my right knee and stuck it in the ankle lesion. So I had the autograft OATs procedure (Osteochondral Autograft Transplant).

Hope that helps

Old 06-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
littlebearsign
(female)

littlebearsign HB User

Thanks Liz. I guess these things would not apply in my case. Due to the impact from the auto accident my cartilege was pretty badly smashed. I sure wish the doctors were able to replace ankle cartilege like they can in some cases for the knee. I've been pretty much walking bone on bone with my right ankle for several years now. And since April the pain has become almost totally unbearable even with painkillers. So...I suppose it is time to get the ankle fused. No matter what, I will continue to push the envelope and do as much as I can with what I have. Thanks again, littlebear

Old 06-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
anklehelp
(female)

anklehelp HB User

Littlebear,

I wish you the best in whatever you decide to have done. I'm sure you will remain active, you have the right attitude to take on what's ahead. Have you looked into ankle replacement surgery? I'm just curious if that's an option for you. And if it is, why fusion would be a better option.

Last edited by anklehelp; 06-29-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
littlebearsign
(female)

littlebearsign HB User

Hi Liz:

Last year I went to see one of the top ankle replacement surgeons in the country. He said if I was a family member he wouldn't touch me with a 10 foot pole. He said that he just knew that I would not slow down or take it easy and within a year or sooner I would end up breaking my leg at the implant point. Besides that he said my bones were very small, good bone density but very small like a teenagers and would have to special make the joint replacement. My insurance will not cover a allograph, they say it is too new and unproven. I simply cannot afford to pay for a allograph myself. So an ankle fusion is what is left.

I really want to be without as much pain as I am now currently experiencing. As it stands now I don't dare go camping or even walking for that matter because of the pain.

Thanks for your comment and good wishes. littlebear

Closed Thread