It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

what to wear after bunion surgery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2009, 05:21 AM   #16
earthworm88
(female)

earthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB User
Re: what to wear after bunion surgery

Hi Pearl,

I am trying to remember if your second toe had the pin in after hammertoe surgery or not. Do you know which exact technique was done on your second toe to correct for hammertoe? So far, sounds like you have a "floating toe" which unfortunately is one of the possible complications. Is that second toe both stiff and floaty? What does your PT say about it? Any exercises gear toward mainly for the second toe?

I am not a foot expert, but from what I know, our big toe is the one that bears most of our weight and also doing the weight shifting. So I can't really imagine you having the tendency of walking on the outside of your foot just because of that second toe. Someone who had 2nd hammertoe surgery would be able to enlighten you better than I can. What did your OS say about your concern? I can understand your worry here, and I know it is frustrating. But bear in mind that it does take time, and some people take longer than others. Find out from your OS what technique was used so that you can understand the recovery process better as well as the appropriate expectations. Don't worry too much. Let's walk one step at a time.

Wishing you a speedier recovery!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #17
pearl66
(female)

pearl66 HB User

Hi Earthworm.

My second toe did have the pin inserted for 7 weeks before it was pulled out.
The toe is fused up to the first ridge in the toe but seems to sit up above the other toes on an angle. When i push it down with my hand it is quite rigid and pops back up.I have been taping it down as the physio told me now for a week. It hasnt made any difference but i will continue. When i sit i push and hold it down and stretch it out as much as i can. My second toe on each foot is slightly longer than the big toe.

I phoned my OS yesterday and he still says to do the exercises he said there is surgery that would help it by shortening of the toe, i really do not want more surgery as that would be more time of work and im not sure whether i could cope. I do not know what type of hammertoe sugery he did i thought there was only one type. He also said with the big toe still a little swollen it might take a little longer and did not think it would be that causing me to limp a little. He said to make an appointment in 4-6 weeks to see him again. So i have to really concentrate when i walk on that foot that i connect the toe to the floor, and do the bending toe exercises.

Cheers

Old 10-12-2009, 03:57 AM   #18
earthworm88
(female)

earthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB User

Hello Pearl,

Sorry for the delay. This is my third attempt at sending this. I was getting so frustrated as the first time I sent, the whole thing disappeared cuz the time was too long. The second time I tried to sent, the explorer crashed. So hopefully third time is the charm lol

There are actually many different techniques to correct hammertoe, but three are commonly performed, or a combination of them in other cases. Based on your description, sounds like you had arthrodesis which the entire joint was removed and pin used to fixate for a period of time to correct your hammertoe. If that is the case, the possible complications of that is floating toe and rigidity. I completely understand your reservation about thinking of having another surgery to correct the outcome of the first surgery which you are still trying to recuperate from. It is definitely very frustrating, but the best you can do now is do what your PT recommends and wait for your next appointment with your OS.

On the other hand, don't forget that you had a lot of work done to that foot, not only the bunionectomy, but the Atkin of the big toe and then the hammertoe. So your healing process could have been compounded by all that's going on and may take longer time to heal. The swelling and scar tissues could play a major role in that as well. I only had bunionectomy done with the ligament cut in between big toe and second toe, but I know my second toe was sore up to sometimes too. So I can't imagine what it would be like for a little toe that had done major surgery on. Hopefully someone who went through the same thing you are going through now can give you some reassurances.

Take good care! I am sure you look back now and thought how worried you were about your big toe and now it's doing much better than ever. So hang in there!

Cheers!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #19
pearl66
(female)

pearl66 HB User

Hi Earthworm

You were right that was the surgery i had on my 2nd toe. I have seen someone else who had the arthoplasty[dont know if that is how you spell it] and they had the opposite to me and they had a floppy toe which when they lifted their foot up the toe that had been fixed dropped to the floor so in that case you wonder what the best option would be. and which to go for.

I have been walking so much better now. When i went to see the doctor he thought i might have a bit of arthritus in the right ankle hence the dragging of the foot so i sometimes take tablets and this helps enormousley. EEK i thought only old people get arthritus guess i must be getting there myself.

Closed Thread