It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• fractured calcaneus recovery time

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #151
    desross4
    (female)

desross4 HB User
    Re: fractured calcaneus recovery time

Pablo59:
    Doing well - 2 wks postop, still in a cast for 1 more week. Surgery revision went well; 4-6 more wks nonwt bearing. Desross4

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #152
    ptrouty
    (male)

ptrouty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by desross4 View Post
    Dear Ptrouty: there was a guy on another message board for heelies who used the iwalkfree crutch & highly recommended it. I just got a knee walker called a "RollerAid" a week ago for $35/wk. Wish I'd known about this the 1st time around. It has been wonderful; not using walker or wheelchair at all now. Desross4
    Thanks for your input on the iwalkfree crutch. It looks like the best thing out there for those needing more mobility. My five year old son needs serious playtime to burn off all that kid energy! I think it has rubbed of on me...

Old 07-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #153
    xraygal
    (female)

xraygal HB User
    Re: Nine screws in my foot

I have total numbness on the sole of my foot and toes. Have had it since the fall which was on May 6. My neurologist told me it may never get better, but then it may get better over time. No one knows. It seems to depend on how bad the injury to the nerves were and how quickly they regenerate.
    Good luck to you.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #154
    xraygal
    (female)

xraygal HB User

Hope everyone had a great holiday. It is so hot here in Phoenix AZ that I am glad at times that I don't have to go out and go to work. Went into work today for some xrays. Seems to be healing well enough. Radiologist was pleased with the pictures. Now to my surgeon appt on the 8th.
    The bad part of going to work today is in finding out that I only have a job for the next 4 weeks. I have no idea what to do. I'm considering starting online classes to see if I might try to get into another field that won't require me to be on my feet all day.
    What do you think? Anyone?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #155
    desross4
    (female)

desross4 HB User

xraygal: Sounds like it might be a good idea. Have you considered a medical billing & coding certification? Another heelie went from real estate to medical coding after breaking his heel. I'm trying to get back into the IT world after 6 years in healthcare marketing. Looking for more sedentary work & hopefully better pay
    desross4

Old 07-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #156
    xraygal
    (female)

xraygal HB User

desross4: It's funny you ask. My husband just forwarded a link to a school doing medical billing and coding. I am actively looking, cause I know that going back to being on my feet all the time will be very hard.
    Good luck with pursuing the IT field. Sounds like you are looking to be more sedentary also.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #157
    padraig1
    Inactive
    (male)

padraig1 HB User
    Smile Re: Nine screws in my foot

Hi hopalongcassidy

Please excuse the late reply, I am back in Ireland now after a wonderful month in Bulgaria and i did not bring my laptop with me. It's great to hear you are feeling a little better.

I also Ice and masage. I am walking now and I am pain free in my foot but my elbow still gives me a lot of pain. The doctor told me not to put full weight through my foot for 3 months but I was in the swimming pool a lot and found i could walk in the water (not on water haha) so I tried it on dry land with the aid of Gordans gin it gave me the courage. I was at the physio yesterday for the first time and they were quite suprised I don't feel pain in the foot. I guess it is because I have lost sensation on the underside of my foot. They say it is the most difficult and painfull of all fractures to fix.

I, like you feel i am getting a little better each day. The bordom is something we will have to contend with, it should get better as we make progress. Good luck to you and all those unfortunate people who read this. keep in touch.

An old Irish saying, may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows your dead. In other words I wish you all a speedy recovery.

xraygal Re: Nine screws in my foot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have total numbness on the sole of my foot and toes. Have had it since the fall which was on May 6. My neurologist told me it may never get better, but then it may get better over time. No one knows. It seems to depend on how bad the injury to the nerves were and how quickly they regenerate.
    Good luck to you.

Xraygal,

I have the same problem with numbness on the sole of the foot, my accident happened 27 april 2010. I now have a little sensation under the 4 small toes and on the left side of the sole of the foot. i have a lot of lumps on the sole of the foot when I walk. Do you or any of you have this? My doctor told me the same thing as your doctor told you. Remain positive and who knows what might happen. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #158
    bill m
    (male)

bill m HB User

I had my initial surgery 13 months ago. Not only is my foot still swollen, but my leg is swollen to the knee. I still have pain, especially where the screws are. So, at the end of August, I'm going to have surgery to remove the metal [a plate and 9 screws].

Has anyone had the metal removed? If so, did it lessen the pain? How long is the recovery?

Bill M

Old 08-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #159
    Paulala
    (female)

Paulala HB User

Hi everyone,

I am back from vacation. And it was a painful one. Swimming, walking the beach a little, and just trying to get around was painful. I had to wear the brace when walking to a spot on the beach. It is now a year. I saw my doctor monday and she gave me another shot and now sending me to a orthopedic surgeon, to see if fusions are in my future. The pain is one thing, but it reminds me of how stupid i was to just drive right into a volvo. I don't remember it at all and i can not come to terms with it. I want to be pain free so i can forget.

Get well everyone.

Paula

The following user gives a hug of support to Paulala:
    NJM1 (10-17-2011)
    Old 08-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #160
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Its not any better, when the accident is someone else fault. A girl crossed the center line, and hit me dead on. Whats done is done.

I can rememeber very little of the accident, and don't care if I ever do.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #161
    pablo59
    (male)

pablo59 HB User

Paula,
    It's paul I just went over a year the 29th of July have been in pain since a friend gave me one 30mg morphine long lasting, I was totally out of pain for 8 hrs. it was great now if i can get a perscription from my Dr. I'll be set it was just strange to have "no pain" and it didn't make me loopy I just felt pain free.
    I see my Dr on the 16th so who knows, but the vicadin just have never done what that one pill did..My Ortho said he would not do fusion as it would lead to total foot fusion and believes I would be unhappy with that result, so he basically said he will get me some braces and do pain management, so I have, am learnng to adjust my life around it and if I can get out of pain 8 hours a day that would be great..
    All out there, heal up..........
    Pablo

Glad you had a vaction and the braces are working,..

Old 08-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #162
    eammann
    (male)

eammann HB User
    Wink Re: fractured calcaneus recovery time

Well I started this thread almost a year ago. I started trying to exercise my ankle and foot more yesterday. Today it is back to recovery mode. Foot is hurting and enlarged. Maybe I should just get by with how it is rather that try and get back to the way I was before. Doc sez to take things very slowly as I was doing before. Hope everyone gets better soon

Old 08-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #163
    xraygal
    (female)

xraygal HB User

Padraig1:

Sorry it took so long for a reply. My son is moving away to college and I have been so busy with getting him ready. I have also been in and out of doctors offices. My ortho doc had me go for an EMG and nerve conduction test do to the numbness. It turns out that I have many nerves that are damaged, not just talar tunnel syndrome as he thought. I also have a lot of muscle damage that is slowly working its way up my leg. At that point when I heard that there was not a lot that could be done, I decided to get up off my butt and start walking. Which I have been doing. Not pretty mind you, but I get around without crutches or walkers or anything. My foot hurts and swells but nothing I can't deal with. It's more depressing just sitting there. I also started driving again! What a great feeling.
    I haven't started physical therapy yet, but I can't wait. I look really old walking across a room but I want to get on with my life. I have officially decided that I am getting a divorce. It has been really sad living here, but the more progress I get, the faster I can make some changes in many areas of my life.
    I hope things get good for you and all the rest of you "HEELIES" out there!

Old 08-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #164
    pablo59
    (male)

pablo59 HB User

Xraygal,
    It seems like you have a lot on your plate,but it sounds like your ready to take hold of life..It's good to hear, I finally came to that decision but it took me 9 months, it was a year 7/29/2010...I have a had multipul fractures, tarsal coalition, forefoot,and calcaneus, it is very painful but i've learned to just take my pain meds and limp it's not pretty but I get there my cars are all auomatics so My driving is ok we even took a 2500 mile trip,it took a lot of stops to stretch, the swelling has gone away but the pain is always there and my calf is about 1/2 the size it use to be..But was just was glad to see you are moving forward, keep up the good work and enjoy, and heal up..
    pablo

Old 08-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #165
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

The hard thing, is not being able to do the stuff you used to. I am doing it, but pay the price later, for some of it. On one hand you want to keep pushing, on the other you need to be honest with yourself.

I am having trouble with coming to terms, of taking meds. Some days I need them, nothing strong, some days I don't, some days I push it prove I don't, and probably should take them.

Closed Thread