It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• fractured calcaneus recovery time

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #31
    MobilMom
    Inactive
    (female)

MobilMom HB User
    Re: fracured calcaneus recovery time

Hi Pablo59 and FiddlerJo,

Funny that we all did similar things -- the emergency room doc was surprised that I hadn't fallen off a ladder from a great height. I also heard a loud pop (crack?) when I did it...

I started PWB and drove kids to school today for the first time in 7 weeks! PWB creates some soreness and swelling...we'll see what the doc says next week....

Good luck and fast healing to both of you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2009, 08:46 AM   #32
    Fuzzyfoot
    (male)

Fuzzyfoot HB User

I appreciate everyone's postings as it is good to hear other's experiences. I see my podiatrist on Monday (11/2) and hopefully will be starting some PWB then. However, I am only 7 1/2 weeks post fracture and plan to protect myself from over-doing it. I will note though that since getting back to the gym 2 weeks ago, and starting at least upper body exercise, my sense of well-being has improved! I do note, though that I get some pretty weird looks from other people there. Keep on truckin'.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:48 AM   #33
    MobilMom
    Inactive
    (female)

MobilMom HB User

Hi Fuzzyfoot -- glad you made it back to the gym -- I am trying to decide if I should go back to Pilates and just do some of the exercises. Sounds like it could work.
    I am 7 weeks from my accident on Monday and have been PWB for a week -- so hope your doctor clears you for that too. It makes a huge difference in getting around.

I see my doc next Wednesday and I think he is expecting me to be able to put more weight (one crutch) when he sees me -- but I an with you -- don't want to over do it!

Take care!

Old 11-01-2009, 04:25 AM   #34
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
    Cool Re: fracured calcaneus recovery time

Hi All,

47 years old, athletic and active...7/19/08 - 10 foot fall from a ladder, broke my heel into 7 pieces, 7/31 -11 screws and one plate, 8/14 - stitches removed, 9/17 cleared to 100% WB, 10/1 - Dropped crutches, 11/7/08 back to work.

I was able to start WBing at 7 weeks PO. It took me another 6-8 weeks before I could go back to work and start leading a semi normal life.

15 months later, I still feel some stiffness as well as minor arthitic pain depending on how much walking or how much I push myself that day.

The key to this injury is patience and education. Educate yourself. Ask the doc the right questions and don't take no for an answer.

The other thing is listen to your foot. Don't overdue or push your recovery. This will only set you back from the progress you just made. Ask me how I know? LOL

Keep healing heelies.
    Ed

Old 11-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #35
    eammann
    (male)

eammann HB User

Hey all,
    I am now PWB according to the ortho DR. I take the AIRCAST Boot off when ever I can (most of the time). I go to PT 2 times a week now. It's been 9 weeks now I think since my fracture. I walk around the house without any support to try and get used to walking again. Minor pain but mostly I think it's in my head due to the incredible pain from the fracture. I go back to the Ortho DR Dec 3 and he said to bring my boot, so maybe I will be back to regular shoes Dec the 3rd. OR somewhat regular shoes

Last edited by eammann; 11-16-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:51 AM   #36
    Fuzzyfoot
    (male)

Fuzzyfoot HB User

I am progressing well and went back to work yesterday. Slow but am able to get through the day with minimal problems. I have actually been able to walk the dog with minimal crutch assistance and revert back to the boot when uncomfortable and that gives almost immediate relief. I have been able to swim, ride a stationary recumbent bike, and row on my Concept 2 machine. The atrophy of my leg above the fracture is impressive, but I know it will come back. Such a long process, but I have been very fortunate to have minimal pain. Hope all others are doing well.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:54 AM   #37
    FiddlerJo
    (female)

FiddlerJo HB User

Wow Fuzzyfoot! You're doing great!

I'm at 15 weeks tomorrow and 3 since being given the okay to start weight bearing. I can limp around with no crutch for longer periods of time now since I started trying a week ago. I went down to the barn and fed the cows, bull, chickens and turkeys this morning walking with no crutch (can actually start to do my regular "outside chores" again). I've been making progress...two steps forward...one back (when I over do it and have a bit more pain than I'd like). My PT said this is a normal part of the recovery and to keep pushing myself even when it hurts. I'm progressing a bit faster than my PT expected. (I'm almost 48 years old and 40 lbs overweight. Not exactly the image of modern fitness!) My flexibility is good and my strength is too.

I try to keep up the ROM exercises throughout the day and that helps a lot. I still wear crocs or tennis shoes...can't walk without some support yet. I still have swelling, especially the ankle, and a lot of soreness, but starting to get my "normal" life back again keeps me motivated.

For now, I'm still going to ride the scooter when I go to big box stores, but now I don't have to store my crutches on the scooter....I can just walk in from the parking lot!

Keep up your exercises...and heal well...

Joanna

Old 11-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #38
    pablo59
    (male)

pablo59 HB User

eammann,
    Was there a % of PWB your Dr put you on? I'm 16 wks post break and 2 wks ago the ortho put me on 100% FWB, i've tried walking w/o my crutches but just don't feel secure( i remember the pain and don't want to repeat it ) glad to see your moving forward, just don't push it and keep the swelling down..I've been going to pt twice a week and they say i need to work on my ROM, ankle alittle stiff..( weather related )..

Old 11-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #39
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Alot of people mention a year, to get as good as your gonna get. Though I wonder if that is range of motion, pain or both.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #40
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi Zerk,

It's been 15 months PO for me. 11 screws and a plate. There are days where I wake and I am soooo stiff, yet other days like nothing ever happened. A long day on my feet, I am achy and stiff the next day. Sometimes my achilles tendon swells reducing flexibility and ROM.

I can still ride my bike and swim, but no running. After a day of cutting the grass I am usually stiff that evening and again the next day.

I have about 90% of my pre-injury ROM. I also have days where my athritis hurts more than others.

I still stretch and ice as needed as well as ibuprofin.

Ed

Old 11-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #41
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

You have arthitis at 15 months? I was thinking that would be further in the future.

I wake up usually ok. Pain, more snoreness, progresses. Usually depends on what I do too. Usually I am ok the the next day.

Which brings up the question, should you do the bad stuff in the morning, when fresh, or evening, so no to ruin entire day? I tend to do it in the evening, when I can.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #42
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

It's minor arthritis and on a scale of 1-10, maybe a 3 at it's worst. Once I get moving the pain subsides to 1 or less or not at all.

I don't let this injury stop me from doing anything. I plan my day and my foot comes along for the ride no matter what.

Arthritis will get worse as time passes and as I get older.

Don't let this change your life unless the pain is debilitating.

Ed

Old 11-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #43
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thats sorta how it is now. First few steps feel weird. Not sure if it goes away, or I just get used to it. I don't let it stop me. Pain currency, you got to pay the price for what you want.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #44
    Paulala
    (female)

Paulala HB User
    Re: fractured calcaneus recovery time

Hi,

I fractured my heel in many pieces July 19 2009 in a car accident. No surgery thankgod. but i was in a cast for 2 1/2 months then into a split cast that i could take off 3 times a day to excercise my toes, for 1 1/2 months, total 4 months. Now i am in a boot, and having a lot of pain. My ankle is killing me, and it swells quite a bit. While i had a cast on i used a 4 wheel walker that had a seat, i would kneal on it and push my way around the house.

Now that i have the boot, I am walking on it all day and i am back to work cleaning houses, so i don't think i will feel better too soon since you can't keep me down. I am only wearing the boot when i leave the house, and using a slipper or bare foot around the house.

But i want to know why i get sharp pains in my ankle and foot when walking down stairs. I feel and hear a pop then the pain.
    I am so sick of this pain, it brings flash backs of the car accident and the pain i first felt.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #45
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Cool Re: fractured calcaneus recovery time

Hi,

Your foot moves a lot more when you go up and downstairs because of the placement and anlge of the foot and the movements. You are hearing and feeling tendons and ligaments popping and moving back into places they haven't been to or felt since before the injury.

It takes some time for them to readjust to post injury positions. This is all normal. 18 months after my accident I still feel popping and movement in my foot. These movements will also cause pain. You really won't know what damage was done to the tendon attach points in your foot and won't unless you have an MRI or CT Scan.

Some of this pain could be caused by the attach points are weak or broken.

Ed

Closed Thread