It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Non-Surgical PTTD - personal story

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
    stuwil
    (male)

stuwil HB User
    Non-Surgical PTTD - personal story

Hope my story will help someone on this forum.

My ankles (both of them) began hurting about 10 years ago. For the first few years I just took lots of Aleve but they continually got worse. I went to a local podiatrist and got fitted with orthotics. These really helped for about 2 years and then the pain came back stronger then ever. During this time I was experiencing body aches and pains as well, mostly in my shoulders, neck, and knees. These body pains became progressively more intense. Along with my ankle pain I was having trouble walking and standing. Pain killers were really not helping any longer. I tried getting new orthotics, but they did not help. I bought every kind of shoe I could find, none really made a difference. I went back several times to my local podiatrist, finally he made me a pair of Ankle-foot orthoses (AFOs). These were horribly uncomfortable, difficult to wear, and did not help. During these years I had appointments with several orthopaedic surgeons. All diagnosed me with PTTD and offered various surgical options. I consulted with a long time friend who lives far away but is also a orthopaedic surgeon. He concurred, I needed surgery on both feet.

I decided to make one last attempt at finding a non-surgical cure for my PTTD, and at the same time searched for the top doctor in NYC to help me diagnose my body pain. My first appointment was with Dr. Rock Positano. He examined me and did several tests, one which I had never seen before. I believe it was an ultrasound of my ankles and feet. He said I had damaged tendons running under my foot and swelling and that he could design an orthotic that would help me. He did not feel I needed any type of surgery. Within a few weeks I received my new orthotics and I could feel the difference within days. The pain in my ankles had lessened by 80%-90%.

I know this sounds like a miracle but there is more to tell. In the same week I visited Rheumatologist, Dr. Michael Belmont in NYC. Even though my tests did not show Arthritis he said I show all the signs and I should be treated for arthritis. He put me on Naproxen (500 mg) and Sulfasalazine, both twice a day. So, to put this in perspective, I was now wearing my new orthotics and taking new med's. Between the two my body and ankle pain are basically gone. I have the occasional ache but nothing I can't live with.

I cannot say for sure which one of these things have helped me more. I have been using the med's and orthotics for nearly 1 year now and am doing fine. Previously I was in pain walking across my kitchen, now I can walk literally for miles with only a normal amount of pain for my age (I'm 49 and not over weight).

I am surely not a doctor, I write this in the hopes that it can help someone. I know how bad it can be. There were many days I thought I'd never walk again. Days in so much pain I wondered how much longer I could bear it. Please feel free to ask any questions. I am happy to answer them if I can.

The Following User Says Thank You to stuwil For This Useful Post:
    averygoodyear (10-24-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
    brett1313
    (male)

brett1313 HB User
    Re: Non-Surgical PTTD - personal story

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuwil View Post
    Hope my story will help someone on this forum.

My ankles (both of them) began hurting about 10 years ago. For the first few years I just took lots of Aleve but they continually got worse. I went to a local podiatrist and got fitted with orthotics. These really helped for about 2 years and then the pain came back stronger then ever. During this time I was experiencing body aches and pains as well, mostly in my shoulders, neck, and knees. These body pains became progressively more intense. Along with my ankle pain I was having trouble walking and standing. Pain killers were really not helping any longer. I tried getting new orthotics, but they did not help. I bought every kind of shoe I could find, none really made a difference. I went back several times to my local podiatrist, finally he made me a pair of Ankle-foot orthoses (AFOs). These were horribly uncomfortable, difficult to wear, and did not help. During these years I had appointments with several orthopaedic surgeons. All diagnosed me with PTTD and offered various surgical options. I consulted with a long time friend who lives far away but is also a orthopaedic surgeon. He concurred, I needed surgery on both feet.

I decided to make one last attempt at finding a non-surgical cure for my PTTD, and at the same time searched for the top doctor in NYC to help me diagnose my body pain. My first appointment was with Dr. Rock Positano. He examined me and did several tests, one which I had never seen before. I believe it was an ultrasound of my ankles and feet. He said I had damaged tendons running under my foot and swelling and that he could design an orthotic that would help me. He did not feel I needed any type of surgery. Within a few weeks I received my new orthotics and I could feel the difference within days. The pain in my ankles had lessened by 80%-90%.

I know this sounds like a miracle but there is more to tell. In the same week I visited Rheumatologist, Dr. Michael Belmont in NYC. Even though my tests did not show Arthritis he said I show all the signs and I should be treated for arthritis. He put me on Naproxen (500 mg) and Sulfasalazine, both twice a day. So, to put this in perspective, I was now wearing my new orthotics and taking new med's. Between the two my body and ankle pain are basically gone. I have the occasional ache but nothing I can't live with.

I cannot say for sure which one of these things have helped me more. I have been using the med's and orthotics for nearly 1 year now and am doing fine. Previously I was in pain walking across my kitchen, now I can walk literally for miles with only a normal amount of pain for my age (I'm 49 and not over weight).

I am surely not a doctor, I write this in the hopes that it can help someone. I know how bad it can be. There were many days I thought I'd never walk again. Days in so much pain I wondered how much longer I could bear it. Please feel free to ask any questions. I am happy to answer them if I can.
    Hi stuwil,

Thanks for your story. My mom has Pttd and has been hurting for a year now with her orthotics her doctor designed for her. My first question is do you think a different doctor might be able to design a better orthotic? And I was also wondering if your doctor explained what appeared to be an "ultrasound" or was it an mri? And lastly do you think not being overweight helped you a lot to overcome your pttd? Thanks so much.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
    stuwil
    (male)

stuwil HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brett1313 View Post
    Hi stuwil,

Thanks for your story. My mom has Pttd and has been hurting for a year now with her orthotics her doctor designed for her. My first question is do you think a different doctor might be able to design a better orthotic? And I was also wondering if your doctor explained what appeared to be an "ultrasound" or was it an mri? And lastly do you think not being overweight helped you a lot to overcome your pttd? Thanks so much.
    I have found that your local podiatrist is fine for everyday foot issues. For PTTD you must go to the very best. If you have access to NYC I recommend Dr. Positano (http://www.***.***/physicians_positano-rock.asp). I feel his expertise was a major factor in helping me.
    What I had was definitely not an MRI. A technician used a hand held device and rolled it over and around my feet. I am fairly certain it was a ultrasound device. Dr. Positano sent me for it.
    I had several MRI and X-RAYs taken over the years but they were of no help in finding a non-surgical solution. As I have never been overweight I can't honestly say but I do imagine that it does help, just using logic.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
    footprint
    (male)

footprint HB User

stuwill,
    thank you for your information. what was your diagnosis? i am 57 yr old male with pronated feet since birth. the pronation has forced more load on the posterior tib tendons in both ankles.if your problem was something like this i will probably call the dr you saw also.

footprint

Old 12-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #5
    stuwil
    (male)

stuwil HB User

My previous few doctors diagnosis was PTTD in both feet. I don't know the exact mechanical reason I have it. Dr. Belmont then diagnosed me with arthritis. Dr. Positano did not give what I have any particular name but he felt strongly he could help me without surgery, and he did.

Closed Thread