It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Bilateral Bunion Surg. Nov 23,2009. NEED TIPS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
    bunionboy
    (male)

bunionboy HB User
    Question Bilateral Bunion Surg. Nov 23,2009. NEED TIPS

I am glad I came across this site. I am an active 40 yr old.I am having bilateral foot surgery in a few weeks. The bunion pain and the pain below my middle toes(where I bear all of my weight) is too much. I am having the procedure where a section of the first metatarsal on each foot will be removed. And the big toe will be straightened out. I can't help but think about having every thing in place at my house to allow mobility around the house. I have a few questions if anyone can help
    * What are the best types of crutches or walking aids to use when both feet are impacted?
    * Any tips for the basics of life, like getting up from the bed, taking a bath/shower, or going to the bathroom.
    * Suggestions for exercises during the recovery period. This could be legs,core, upper body, swimming, biking, anything. Does anyone have any good resources(websites,journals,testimonials )
    * Suggestions for helping my poor wife who will be with me most of the time. Any ideas for expressing my gratitude to her??
    * Are there any good supplements/herbs/medicines that can increase healing time?
    * And any other feedback?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY ADVICE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
    Northwind
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
    Re: Bilateral Bunion Surg.Nov 23,2009.NEED TIPS

You found a good spot BB! I just had my right MTP joint fused on Oct 28th and am doing well. Check through all the threads related to bunions and MTP joints and you will get lots of ideas. There is a woman in here who just had both feet done, and she has posted around in different threads.

I got a wireless router, so I could access the internet from my couch. I bought a little stool so I could put my foot on it at work when I go back, and found it helpful around the house too. I have had to learn to ask for help.......as a first born helping professional, that was not easy. I also have gotten a stack of books and some movies. I have enjoyed my time on the couch so far.....but then it has only been four days.

I was told arnica would help, and have been taking that. I think vitamin D, calcium and some other things are good.......i need to check that out myself and get back on track with them.

Good luck and heal well. I found the wait and pre-surgery anxiety worse than the event. I am looking forward to the end result where comfy shoes will be comfy again, and where I can walk long distances again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Life is too short to wear tight shoes. ~ May you have happy feet in 2017/18.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #3
    Northwind
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

I forgot to mention.....try not to whine or snivel too much because wives don't always handle that. That being said, there may be a very legitimate spot for whining. Just use it wisely.

And do say thank you. My husband has been very good. In fact, he just offered to bring me a coffee while I am sitting here. I was just about to get up......now I won't.

Take care.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
    aimski
    (female)

aimski HB User

hey Bunionboy, I had scarf surgery (bunions) on both feet 14 days ago. This site has loads of great tips and advice. Have a look around!!
    I will say, that I found a wheelchair very useful...well I still do! The wheelchair has helped me have SOME independence in an otherwise completely dependant situation!
    If you are strict and only get up to go to the loo and shower, then maybe you won't need it, but I used mine to get to and from the bathroom and bedroom etc. as well as a few little other trips when I am sick of asking my mum to get things for me!
    Speaking of other aides- A toilet seat with handles that doubles as a shower seat has been invaluable! The pressure it puts on your poor feet to stand up without them is unbelievable. You could also have a bath and dangle your legs out…..

Food wise, if your wife is having to leave for long periods of time, a bar fridge or what we call an Esky (a portable container that stays cold) would be good to keep drinks and sandwiches by your side to stop you from getting up…. Or microwave food you can heat up from the wheelchair would be good too. Even getting a thermos with coffee in would be good to minimise getting up.
    Keep elevating as much a s possible!!! Ice after exercise or activity or when feeling swollen or hot! I had a physio that gave me exercises, and I thought you would too…BUT all I can suggest is keep the knees supported and stretch them (along with your hips) as much as you can as they will get very stiff. Wriggle your toes and stretch ankles too!

Was there anything else?? I’m happy to share my experiences if you are interested!

Old 11-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
    bunionboy
    (male)

bunionboy HB User

Thank you so much. All great advice. It comforting to hear you upbeat. Heal quickly my friend.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
    bunionboy
    (male)

bunionboy HB User

Thank you very much. I am writing down all of these great tips from you guys. Best wishes.BB

Old 11-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
    aimski
    (female)

aimski HB User
    some hope for you.....

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know I got my bandages off today (BILATERAL BUNIONECTOMY) and I can't believe how great my feet look!!!!
    My feet are noticeably narrower and I have straight toes!!!
    My toes haven't been straight since I was about 10 years old!!!
    The nurse said there was even very little swelling! She told me I had done well- elevating as much as I have has paid off!!

I can't wait to soak them tonight!!!

So guys this is the beginning of the light at the end of what is still a particularly long tunnel!! But there is light!! Yipeeee
    I may just see my foot in a Birkenstock yet!!

ELEVATING AND ICE is your friend!!

Old 11-05-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
    bunionboy
    (male)

bunionboy HB User
    Re: some hope for you.....

Way to go. And, thanks for the advice. And, I too am all about Ice and Elevation when it comes to injuries. You have given me hope. I have been dealing with the same issues from my early teens. Now when I have pain in my feet, I look forward to the surgery which will be Nov 23.

Congrats and keep posted. Please share any therapy suggestions as you push forward
    BB

Old 11-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #9
    aimski
    (female)

aimski HB User
    some hope for you.....

No problem BB
    I was having a think if there was any other suggestions I could make...
    I had a few really bad days in the first week with pain- I don't think I had a great grasp of my pain meds, so make sure you get on top of that before you leave hospital...check all the different combos in which you can take paracetamol and ibuprofen as it may just make all the difference....
    I also had a reclining chair and 'stable tabe' for eating meals which was great!! And my wheel chair had elevated foot rests, so I could sit at either of these when I wanted to eat with people (without feeling anti-social)

Also wanted to let you know at day 18 (bandages off/stitches disolving) I have NO swelling that I can tell and I am now walking around the house getting things for myself!!!! Life is getting better every day!!!

cheers

Aimski

Old 11-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
    bunionboy
    (male)

bunionboy HB User
    Re: some hope for you.....

Wow, You've gone through a lot so far. I appreciate the advice on pain. Are you where you had hoped you would be in your current state?
    My surgery is this Monday. 'Bring it on'
    Glad for the info you shared, Just keep me posted on your recovery

Old 11-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
    Northwind
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi bunionboy, I hope all goes well on Monday. I am now three weeks post op for one foot. It is healing well, and I am getting around reasonably well. This being dependent on others for rides is a challenge, as is getting from the door to the car with the snow. I need to find something I can put on my foot.....it is also getting colder here.

Do keep us posted!

Old 11-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #12
    aimski
    (female)

aimski HB User
    Re: Bilateral Bunion Surg. Nov 23,2009. NEED TIPS

Hi BB,

3 days to go!! Good Luck! You should be pretty prepared for the big day, with all the advice flying around these things !

You asked if I would keep you updated.... I am 4 1/2 weeks post op and I am feeling really good!! You asked if this is where I thought I would be...and I would say, I am better then where I thought I would be! To be honest I was giving myself the worst case scenario almost, but I just had my 3rd half day back at work and I just feel great Sure my right foot is still a bit swollen but the other foot feels perfect. The wound on my left foot is healing really well too.

I only have 2 real concerns left -
    1. Should I be worried about the stiffness in my big toes? I was not told to do any exercises and everything I read says do them once your DR. gives you the ok.....so I am pondering that right now
    and 2. When will I drive again? I miss doing things for myself. I can't even walk to the bus station right now- so hubby is my live in driver
    I am just praying that on the 30th when I go for my 6 week check up and the boots comes off (thank God) driving will somehow just be ok again ....sure I will have some sessions with Geoff for a while, but I am just hoping that in 2 weeks time driving will just be a-ok!!

Good luck once again, I'm sure you will be fine

Amy

Old 11-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
    skyhighifly
    (female)

skyhighifly HB User
    Re: Bilateral Bunion Surg. Nov 23,2009. NEED TIPS

I never waited for driving approval. I had bilateral tailors bunion correction in summer 2008. One foot was easy and only in a post-op shoe for 4 weeks. The other was NWB for 6 in the post-op shoe and then another 6 weeks weight bearing. I just drove in the post-op shoe with a big foam letter "I" strapped to it so I could make the pedal go. I was driving a manual too. Then I stress fractured and drove in a boot for 8 weeks. I figure if you can walk, you can drive. You just have to use a different technique.

After my surgery I did a lot of scooting on the floor. I'm strong to I could hoist myself up once I got to me destination. The wheeling desk chair was amazing, especially in the bathroom and kitchen. I have a HUGE bathtub and it was easy to just leave my feet up on the edge. Later when I could get my feet wet, I would sit on a small cooler with a washcloth covering it. Saved money and allowed me to turn different directions. I had a wheelchair but only used it for long treks, otherwise I just used crutches. Handicap placard was great.

Good luck tomorrow. I'll be headed for my 3rd ankle surgery on December 10. Not looking forward to it. Each time the recovery is longer.

Closed Thread