It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Plate on top of foot?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
    jane806
    (female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User
    Unhappy Plate on top of foot?

I had my 2nd metatarsal shortened and held in place with a plate and 4 pins three months ago (along with lapidus bunionectomy & gastroc recession). As the swelling has gone down, I'm able to move my foot around more freely, and I'm wondering if the stiffness I'm feeling on the top of my foot is from the plate. I think I feel it when I'm curling my toes. My surgeon said he can remove the plate if it's bothering me next month when I have the same procedures done on my other foot. I thought I would just leave it in, but if it's going to inhibit foot movement (I'm a runner), I may rethink that.

Does anybody else have a plate that they feel? Does it bother you? Are you going to leave it in? Has anyone had one removed?

Jill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
    Northwind
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
    Re: Plate on top of foot?

I had the big toe fused three weeks ago and they put in a plate. I think it is too soo to tell for me. I was thinking about that though. Right now, I would attribute the wierd stiffness to the incision. Once it is healing I will have to adapt to a permanently stiff joint. That will be interesting......but then if it is pain free as they promise, that will be good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Life is too short to wear tight shoes. ~ May you have happy feet in 2017/18.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
    jane806
    (female)

Northwind - I didn't feel this until recently now that the swelling has really gone down, so it could either be the scars or the plate. My doctor told me to call if I had any questions about anything, big or small, so I'm going to give him a call tomorrow and ask. I have no idea how deep the plate was put in my foot, so it might even be too deep to even feel. Then there's the 3 screws that are fusing the upper part of my foot to contemplate, too. LOL! I sometimes think I feel them, too.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #4
    summerluvr
    (female)

summerluvr HB User

When I had the lapidus, the fusion took 4+ months to fuse. I could feel it in the arch of my foot thought it was the screws but now its fused I don't feel anything. Is gastroc the tendon by your toe? I didn't really feel the recovery from this at all short term or long term no pain. My toe were long enough that he didn't need to shorten my 2nd toe. It sounds like alot of work to shorten a toe! Plate and pins?! for the toe?

Last edited by summerluvr; 11-19-2009 at 06:57 AM.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
    jane806
    (female)

Summerluvr - I've been getting xrays every 2-3 weeks and on the last one it showed that the bones are fusing, but it's not totally done. The gastroc is in the calf, so the surgeon snipped my calf muscle a couple of times. He told me to just forget about that for now, because it's the bones in the foot that need my attention. I had a few days where that procedure bothered me, but now I barely even remember it was done. And it isn't the toe itself that's too long - it's the metatarsal, which is the long bone that's in your foot that's connected to the toe joints. The bone was cut and reattached sort of mid-foot. There isn't much fat on a foot and the swelling has gone down considerably, so now I'm feeling more things in that area. I was also thinking about the scars I already have, and don't know if I want to add to it by having my surgeon open up that foot again! Sort of vain, I know.

Closed Thread