It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• damaged heel

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
    limabene
    Inactive
    (male)

limabene HB User
    damaged heel

Hello

New to this board am I. Broken calcaneus with damage to subtalar joint. ORIF on 10/21/09. Non weight beiring till january. Find it helps to the talk about injury. Wife is tired. Any info appreciated. So far this is the best forum found just looking for others.

Thanks
    Vic

Last edited by moderator2; 11-28-2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: please do not ask members to post against the rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
    Re: Heelie info wanted

I shattered my calcaneous and talus in March. No surgery, the foot was to swollen and blistered. NWB 12 weeks. Used walk and then cane. I could hop/limp around, with in a few days. I still used wheel chair a bit though. I broke my femur on the otherside, and was weight bearing on that at week 9, but it was weak. The wheel chair was just easier, for carrying stuff.

I stayed with the walker, nevrer used crutches. It was just easier to use, freed up a hand.

First new pair of shoes, were 4E. Though in a few weeks I was wearing my old tennis shoes, loose, to slip on around the house.

One thing I found that really helped was good socks. I mean real good ones. I like the light wool hikers. There wool, but not hot. I also have double cushion pair of reg socks. I like Wigwams. I have been able to find seconds around here, since there made in the area. The heavy socks are not cheap, $8-12.

I also got a compression sock, when I started walking. $40 in same brand, from store to store.

I gave up the wheel chair in about a week, and the walker in about a month. I don't use a cane anymore either.

I was riding a Harley touring bike, at less then 4 months. Deer hunted this year, though not alot of walking. Been walking 2 months on the treadmill for couple months now too. So hang in there. I won't lie, there are highs and lows, but bearable.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-27-2009 at 11:03 PM.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Most people on here, are probably less then 4 months. Once you get better you leave. From what I read, a year seems to be a common recovery time, to get as good your gonna get. Recovery varies, obviously. I've read stories on here about people jogging and surfing.

Get into PT as soon as you can, I had to ask my doc. Around week 6 he started me on range of motion stuff.

My toes froze up and curled down. It seemed they were stuck that way. But the last month I have really worked on them and made great progress. Pull back on tip of the bottom of the toe, while press down on the top part at the base. Keeping your toes moving will help with walking.

The first couple months after walking I iced 2-3 times a day, should have done more. I still do once in awhile. After awhile you just get sick of doing it. Keep it elevated. Put pillows under it. I slept with 2 pillows under it.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
    jane806
    (female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

do you mean foot injured person? If so, you've come to the right place! This forum is loaded with lots of helpful information. I think I spend more time reading through posts here than anywhere else on the internet.

It definitely helps to discuss with others going through the same thing, because you can get just vent if that's what you need or you can get helpful info.

In the beginning, I was obsessed with my foot and couldn't read enough info. Now that it's been a few months and the only issue I have is minor swelllng, I don't have much to say. I'm having surgery on my right foot in 2 weeks, so I'm sure I'll be scouring the internet again.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-27-2009 at 11:16 PM.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
    limabene
    Inactive
    (male)

limabene HB User

Hi and Thank you for sharing.

Yes. I am refering to someone with a foot injurie.

edited

As for my plight, a twelve foot fall left me with a crushed left heel and a damaged subtalar joint. Nightmares with painful twitching of the left foot catching myself followed for the next month. Two weeks after the injury was the operation. I have a plate and either 10 or 9 stainless screws. Seems the doctor lost count. Reassuring to know he can find out for me, if I must know. The pain just following surgery was the worst. I believe the incision a killer. I have read where less intrusive surgeries are being done without the big L I recieved. I have to believe less is best but the big L and plate with a lot screws is standard.

One night stay in the hospital was required. I do not believe I could have survived more than one. The machine monitioring my resperation insisted I keep my eyes open. Even the slightest hint of shut eye and it would alert the hospital of my intentions. At two in the morning after severely scoulding one nurse and one doctor, they changed the torture device for a new. Seems the machine was ok but I was not so, I was given oxygen to keep the machine satisified. Finally sleep but with a horrible price. Oxygen without water leaves the nasal passages deperatly dry. It took a week to repair the damage a few hours on oxygen did to my sinuses. At home, I found the recliner and a couple of pillows to be the best place. There I stayed for two weeks. I only left for serious bathroom breaks. Those first few trips to the bathroom were pure hell. Leaving the foot down for any length of time was very very painful.

I was able to borrow a booster seat for the toilet. This seemed to help. Good news, the worst only lasted a couple of weeks. Also borrowed a wheelchair. Really helped when it came to carring things. Also at the two week mark, stiches were removed. Stitches were a source of much of my pain. Sticking to my cast and pulling with every move. I was happy to see them go and now outfitted with a removable boot I was able to wash my foot. A real blessing. Until I did a little research. Seems they charged me $258.00 for $58.00 boot. I had to sign a slip acknowledging the price. I thought strange at the time. I now know why. Buy your own boot online. Ask the doctor what kind before hand he plans on using and buy it yourself. To me the right thing to do would be to let someone know there are cheaper options before you screw them but little is right with this world.

I am thankful for the on off boot. Now at the five week mark post surgury, I am doing pretty good. Not much pain and I have weined myself off the percoset completely. A real challenge.

edited inappropriate comments

As for the foot, doing good I think Ill keep it. Keep it elevated most of the time that is. Turns purple after having down for any length of time but I believe this is normal. The incision is very sensative but healing. And I have pretty good movement of toes and ankle without pain. I am very anxious to weight bear. I am hoping at the eight week mark doctor will say yes. For now, I sit with the foot up writing the alphabet.

I really appreciate having a space to share with those who know my pain. I wish you luck JAH with your surgery. I hope all goes WELL.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-27-2009 at 11:12 PM.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:44 AM   #6
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

One lucky thing, with it being your left foot, it shouldn't effect your driving. I shattered my right. Even though I am walking ok, I don't have the range of motion and my achilles area is sore. But I am driving, one on each pedal.

You might be able to start range of motion exercises soon. I didn't have operation, so I don't know. They wanted to operate, but was to swollen, now they probably won't healed fairly good.

Time passes and your going again.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
    limabene
    Inactive
    (male)

limabene HB User

Zerk your right I have much to be thankful for. ....Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!

Old 11-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
    jane806
    (female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

I broke my calcaneus 6 years ago, so I know the pain of that break. I fell down the stairs and thought it was just a sprain, but a few hours later I was in unbearable pain. Amazingly, I didn't need surgery because it was a clean break and after it was stabilized in a boot I had no pain at all. I think I took Advil for a few days, and nothing after that.

But surgery is another story. The healing process isn't quite natural, so there are lots of extra aches and pains and pain meds are a necessity! I was on percocet AND oxycontin in August after my first surgery.
    I know I'll be on them again, but I had no problem getting off of them. In fact, after a couple weeks, I was tired of being so sleepy. My doctor said I should sleep as much as I can because that's when your body does its best healing.

I had to sign a form for my boot and surgical shoe, too. I had to sign it for insurance purposes, though. I didn't have to pay for it, so I don't know what they charged my insurance company. But I'm sure I'm paying for it in my insurance payments!

It is nice to share our stories because I truly believe we help each other that way. Others in our lives try to understand how difficult and frustrating it can be, but they really don't get it. But we do!

Happy Thanksgiving to everybody! I'm getting ready to go eat some turkey with my family.

Jill

Last edited by Administrator; 11-27-2009 at 11:13 PM.

Closed Thread