It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• anyone used a knee walker?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
    whpstickagostop
    (female)

whpstickagostop HB User
    anyone used a knee walker?

I am looking into renting a knee walker to increase my independence after my ankle surgery. I am a graduate student and I walk to school (it's a little less than a mile). I figured with the knee walker I could still take myself to school and not have to rely on people to give me rides. My boyfriend is concerned that the sidewalk conditions will make me hate it and that it will be uncomfortable (I live in downtown atlanta). I just seriously need to find an affordable alternative to crutches.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
    Pegret
    (female)

Pegret HB User
    Re: anyone used a knee walker?

a mile is a pretty long way. But that being said, it is a huge long way on crutches. I use my knee walker in and around the house and office. You cannot do any more than one step with the knee walker. For 2 to get into my home I need help. I was warned to use it for limited time because of the possibility of blood clots. Outside, beware of rocks and holes. I love the knee walker, but am hesitant to recommend it for distance. A wheel chair might be better, but then you still have the curb/step problem. Good luck.
    Peg

Old 12-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I couldn't imagine using a wheelchair for a mile. But then again, you would be surprised, what you can do when you have to. I had regular walker, probably even toughter then the wheel chair.

Giving yourself plenty of time, and in good shape, who knows. I would take a practice run, when you won't be late.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
    skyhighifly
    (female)

skyhighifly HB User

I've never considered getting one. I used to be a gymnast and I do a lot of waterskiing so I have the upper body strength to use crutches. I got a handicap placard to reduce the distance a bit and that seems to be fine.

I think from your other post you said you had like 3 weeks off. Depending on how much you swell, you may not want to have your foot down for a mile while you exert yourself that much. Could cause a lot of swelling. Remember you will have a backpack too. I would try for rides before attempting the trip in either a wheelchair or knee walker. I've pushed my own wheelchair on the Las Vegas Strip and it is not easy, whereas through a store was no problem at all. The wheelchairs you rent are nothing like those used by those with paralysis. They are heavy, clumsy, and uncomfortable.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
    whpstickagostop
    (female)

whpstickagostop HB User

I found a wheelchair for $150 that has an elevated foot rest which might be good for my commute. I could have crutches for maneuvering around the lab. I definitely have the option of getting rides, i am just stubborn

I think my mind is just going a mile a minute right now trying to adjust to the idea of having surgery and not being able to walk...or drive.

I'm sure I will figure it all out and I guess I kinda have to by the 16th hehe

Last edited by whpstickagostop; 12-05-2009 at 11:25 PM.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
    skyhighifly
    (female)

skyhighifly HB User

FYI, trying to manually push a wheelchair along a sidewalk while trying to keep crutches from sliding off is not an easy task, even if you are strong.

Doctor can give you an Rx for a wheelchair rental. Probably cheaper than buying one. Same with the knee walker.

When is your pre-op appointment? You should be asking about these things then.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
    mary2
    (female)

mary2 HB User

I loved my knee walker but I would not recommend it for a mile trip. My knee became black and blue from just using it around the house.

I found that my recovery was a lesson in accepting assistance and learning to be patient with myself and others.

Good luck with your decisions. I would discuss it at a pre-op apt with the Dr.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Anyone travelling a mile, by whatever means, I suggest try it when they don't have to be any where. It may be to far, or it may be great exercise. But getting across a large hospital in wheel chair, was hard. But I was in a drugged sleep for 2 weeks, and my muscles shrunk. But how many of you have been to the gym lately?

I am not trying to be negative, try it. Being a little stuborn can help too.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:09 AM   #9
    GinnyMarie
    (female)

GinnyMarie HB User

I have been using a knee walker since I had foot surgery 2 months ago. It is a god send. It makes getting around so much easier, but it has it drawbacks. It is hard on the back if you go for long distances so be ware. It also can tip easily even though its on 4 wheels.. if you are on uneven surface could be dangerous... I don't go out of the house with mine, course I am 59 yrs old. being younger it might be easier for you.. I would advise you to get a wheel chair, you can't balance and carry anything very easily with a knee walker.. they are a wonderful thing but as I said not for long distances.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:31 AM   #10
    ahodus
    (female)

ahodus HB User

I also loved my knee walker. I would highly recommend taking it for a test run though before surgery. This allowed me to get used to it before having to use it all the time. Like others have cautioned even thought it does have 4 wheels and looks stable but watch when changing flooring surfaces, crack in the sidewalks, and for rocks.

On traveling the long distances I was able to go to the local park which has a nice walking track and would "scoot" with it. Normally it was about 1.5 to 2 miles and it never seemed to be a problem. I did take it to downtown Pittsburgh (tons of hills and horrible sidewalks) an it was a challenge but I managed just had to be extra careful.

Hopefully your surgery went well this week and best of luck in your recovery!

Old 12-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
    roydale
    (female)

roydale HB User

I used my knee walker for 4 weeks after bunion surgery. It was the only way I could stay mobile. Yes, it is hard on your back, but wwwayyyy better than crutches. Mine has a basket on front and I could shop and do lots of things that I wouldn't have been able to do. I would recommend one.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #12
    walleye77
    Veteran
    (female)

walleye77 HB User

I used a knee walker and thought it was wonderful. You do have to be careful on it. I would recommend a knee pad for long use to keep your knee from getting sore. I used small foam to help cushion the knee. I never had back problems while using it for the 2 plus months. I did get overzellious one time and darn near went over it thank god the hubby had seen and grabbed me. Always use caution on it. Good luck.....

Closed Thread