HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Footwear post fractured calcaneus (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/741277-footwear-post-fractured-calcaneus.html)

Zerk 10-12-2010 03:48 AM

Re: Footwear post fractured calcaneus

[QUOTE=Firelady1;4343509]Winter is coming soon here in Canada and I'll need to put something on my foot!! Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Heavy wool socks will provide warmth and cushion.

I can still wear my old heavy pack boots, and some of my lace ups. But I ended up buying new footwear for my new foot. Same as yours 1/2 shorter, and wider.

They say not to spend to much on shoes the first year. But you got to wear something. My foot while bigger, didn't really change size after the swelling went down. Which was mostly after I started walking.

First shoe I bought was the widest tennis shoe I could find, I think 4E.

I now wear my old tennis shoes like slippers around the house, sliding them on and off.

Ask your doc about a compression sock, to wear under the regular sock. I found light wool hiking socks good, for all year.

desross4 10-12-2010 02:05 PM

Dear Firelady1:
Try going to a comfort shoe store for a fitting. They will fit your larger foot first. Bring custom orthotics & compression sock if you have them so you can be sure they will fit into the new shoes.

Your doctor can give you a script for orthotics and a rocker sole if that will help you. Insurance may or may not cover the orthotics & rocker sole but they may be necessary for you to progress.

When I first went for a shoe fitting just prior to losing the boot, I was fitted with New Balance 882s in a Mens's 11D. They were wider than my usual fit but the length of the shoe was about the same. A rocker sole was added to both shoes by the orthotics outfitter. My right foot was at least 1/2 inch shorter so that orthotic was built up. Finding a rocker athletic shoe is easier now; NB, Avia, Easy Spirit, Skechers & Ryka all make a rocker-soled sneaker plus MBT. I would recommend one of these as a 1st shoe. Once you're ready to try a dressier shoe, try the rocker-soled Alegria line.
Desross4

Zerk 10-12-2010 03:53 PM

I wouldn't worry about bringing the compression sock, there not that thick. But you probably should be wearing it around anyways.

You need a deeper shoe for the orthodic. You can also get the orthodic adjusted for the shoe and your foot.

I haven't tried the rocker.

I've been wearing the same size on both feet. Even though I used to be a D, and now I am E+. It doesn't really bother me. A couple of my shoes they put a filler insole in under the normal insole for the good foot, took some slop out. Last two pairs of boots, I didn't bother. Just tighten the laces to fit.

Not saying this is right thing to do, just what I do.

Firelady1 10-12-2010 06:44 PM

Actually that was one of the questions I was going to ask, what do you do with the "good" foot when you have to get such a bigger size for the injured one. I do already wear an orthodic in my shoes, but it maky be a bit before I get a new one, as my heel is still a little too tender to get fitted.

Can you explain what a "rocker" is? I have a fairly wide foot anyways so will probably need to go the same route as you and go to a mens wide shoe. Our selection is usually much more limited than yours but luckily I live close to the US border and have a propensity for cross border shopping lol.

How do you get the compression sock over your foot? I have those as well, but there is no way I would get them over my foot at this point.

Zerk 10-12-2010 08:04 PM

[QUOTE=Firelady1;4344318]
How do you get the compression sock over your foot? I have those as well, but there is no way I would get them over my foot at this point.[/QUOTE]

Pull harder.

Alot of things about this injury require you to suck it up and do it. The sock doesn't hurt. Just have to roll it up.

Firelady1 10-13-2010 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=Zerk;4344353]Pull harder.

Alot of things about this injury require you to suck it up and do it. The sock doesn't hurt. Just have to roll it up.[/QUOTE]

Zerk, I love your attitude! I am the Queen of suck it up, but I think I will wait till I have a little more movement of my ankle. Have [B]just[B]come out of my boot I can barely get normal socks on lol. Once I can flex a little better a tighter sock will be easier. Had my first physio yesterday and can't believe the difference even that made. It was an actual psycological moment to put my heel to the ground. I had to consciously force myself to do it as I have been protecting it for the last 2 months. It felt odd, but not too uncomfortable. Mind you I didn't put weight on it. Do you notice the height difference when you are in bare feet?

Zerk 10-13-2010 01:29 PM

I can walk barefoot, but not supposed to do it alot. It doesn't bother me, but feels odd. I am not sure if its the height or the funky foot.

As for the comperession suck, don't try pulling it up. Start with it rolled up and pull it over your toes and then up. There not easy to put on.

Firelady1 10-13-2010 01:42 PM

So I'm thinking I can kiss my strappy sandals goodbye too? My PT asked me yesterday what activity I did that I wanted to get back to.....and my answer was travelling!! I go away once or twice a year to a warm country and hope I can make it later next year. This upcoming winter is pretty much a write off. I can just see my lovely sundresses complete with chunky orthopedic shoes lol.

I've seen you mention steel toed work boots. That will be my next step after normal shoes. One thing I should be thankful for, I won't have to use the crappy ones they supply us through work anymore :)

Zerk 10-13-2010 04:06 PM

I rode my motorcycle to Alaska this year. Sitting isn't a problem. Summer before the accident, I was hiking in Jasper. Probably won't be doing that, but I probably could if I really, really wanted to. Plan a trip with out lots of walking. Travelling through a big airport may suck too. Though I did fly this fall.