It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• High heels after Lapidus Bunion surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
    dany1972
    (female)

dany1972 HB User
    High heels after Lapidus Bunion surgery

Hi everybody,
    This is my first post here. I had a case of moderate bunion, very ugly to see but painful only wearing uncomfortable shoes. Exactly 4 weeks ago I had a bunion surgery with Lapidus procedure. I did the surgery only to wear again high heels. It sounds insane but some women are insane.
    Now I have three screw in my foot, two at the first tarsometatarsal and a single screw at the joint of the big toe.
    It is not clear to me if the single screw at the joint of the big toe will create a fusion and if yes will I be able to stay on my tip toes and wear wonderful stilettos?
    At the moment the big toe is very stiff I almost can't bend it downward and just a little bit upward. I hope that this depends on the fact that I'm still NWB and that when I can walk again and with some FT my big toe will work again.
    However, reading the comment of other members I start to be concerned that I will never wear anymore high heels.
    I'm in panic, please help me. Any experience and suggestion is helpful!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
    Chubstercat
    Veteran
    (female)

Chubstercat HB UserChubstercat HB User
    Re: High heels after Lapidus Bunion surgery

Just be thankful if you can walk without pain again. Those heels are nothing but trouble. Don't sacifice your health for looks. I wish I never would have worn pointly, high heeled shoes. But, I wanted to look sexy and here I am at age 49 going thru my second surgery (a fusion) on the same foot. Never do any type of surgery just for looks. Surgery is no guarantee and involves risk. And if you are prone for bunions, (as I was with my family history) - please stay away from high heels, they only make the problem worse. Being able to walk without pain is a serious matter, don't take your foot health lightly.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
    Northwind
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

I agree with Chubstercat, high heels are not worth it. I too come from a family that grows bunions very well. I just had the right big toe joint fused in October. I will be happy to be able to wear 1" heels again after a long period of time where even comfy shoes were not comfy. There are lots of very pretty and even sexy shoes in lower heel heights.

Good luck and happy healing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Life is too short to wear tight shoes. ~ May you have happy feet in 2017/18.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
    dany1972
    (female)

dany1972 HB User

Chubstercat and Northwind, first of all thank you very much for your reply.
    It seems that both of you had very bad experiences.
    In my case the surgery went very well. The healing process is going perfectly, I haven't felt any pain, the foot is almost not swollen anymore and I can't wait to come back to walk.

For the rest, even if I'm prone to bunions (my grandmother had, my mother has), the lapidus procedure make sure that the problem will be not back (it is very difficult that the bones move with three screws inside!).
    I agree with you that high heels don't help to have a healthy foot but I can't give up to wear sexy shoes!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
    Northwind
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Hi dany, I had an awesome experience. I am very glad I got my foot surgery. I had arthritis in that joint, not a bunion, so a fusion was my best option. I am today wearing my Dansko clogs ("Professional") and my foot is happy, happy, happy! I went to a bootcamp class yesterday and my foot was fine. I think the exercise helped it in many ways. Now, the rest of me.......well that is a different matter......I now remember muscles I had forgotten I owned.

I am not sure it is worth the risk of wearing high heels. Why would you want to risk damaging your feet again. There are lots of options in the lower heel range......maybe save the high heels for fancy dress.

Good luck with your decision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
    jmkk
    (female)

jmkk HB User

I am so glad to know that there is someone out there that is as panicked as I am! I had surgery on March 3, 2010. It has been two months and there isn't any way I can wear a heel...yet. I am wearing flat sandals at the moment that do not rub my incision. My doctor said there would be swelling for 6 months to 1 year. I can live with the flat sandals for 6 months (thank goodness it is sandal season), but like yourself I would like some reassurance that I will be able to wear a heel sometime in the near future. I work in the fashion industry and feel underdressed when I cannot wear a heel for specific occasions. At the moment my foot won't fit into a heel. I will keep you posted and I believe that in time we will both be back to normal! My surgery went very well and I am not experiencing any pain. The incision is still somewhat tender and I have some stiffness. Let me know how you are doing!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dany1972 View Post
    Hi everybody,
    This is my first post here. I had a case of moderate bunion, very ugly to see but painful only wearing uncomfortable shoes. Exactly 4 weeks ago I had a bunion surgery with Lapidus procedure. I did the surgery only to wear again high heels. It sounds insane but some women are insane.
    Now I have three screw in my foot, two at the first tarsometatarsal and a single screw at the joint of the big toe.
    It is not clear to me if the single screw at the joint of the big toe will create a fusion and if yes will I be able to stay on my tip toes and wear wonderful stilettos?
    At the moment the big toe is very stiff I almost can't bend it downward and just a little bit upward. I hope that this depends on the fact that I'm still NWB and that when I can walk again and with some FT my big toe will work again.
    However, reading the comment of other members I start to be concerned that I will never wear anymore high heels.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:00 AM   #7
    Janesfoot
    Veteran
    (female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User

I had a bunionectomy with osteotomies and pins on both sides of my right foot two years ago. At four months I could manage a small heel for a couple hours (had to for a funeral).
    Six months after surgery a friend convinced me to try Zumba. I'm not advocating a specific exercise, but the dancing/aerobic movements helped to stretch my foot, and make me move it in ways I wouldn't during daily activities or when walking.
    My left foot needs the same surgery, and probably a fusion due to arthritis (thank goodness the post-surgery right foot remains arthritis free, I'd want to poke my own eyes out if arthritis cropped up after surgery!). Right now heels are again not an option.
    I'm not a high heel person, but I understand the desire to wear beautiful shoes! You are the "captain" of your feet, so wear what makes you happy.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #8
    Amberboo
    (female)

Amberboo HB User

hi, i just joined just to comment on this. i'm 17 and had the surgery basically just to be able to wear cute boots and heels with out hurting and my foot even starting hurting with flip flops after awhile, but any ways i had this surgery two days before last christmas, i so regret everyday for not getting a second opinion on getting it or other options.... my doctor never told me i would not be able to bend my toe all the way and i can't AT ALL now wear boots or heels when i wear flip flops i have to wear a bandade just because it is so sensitive. but that i can deal with but i am so dissapointed and feel really depressed that i can't run any more and working out is so much harder i can't even go to prom cuz i can't wear heels and if someone step on my foot which always happens every singe time at dances, that would hurt so bad. i really hope that ya'lls aren't that difficult and that you will be able to bend your toe all the way, but i would NEVER recommend bunion surgery with a pin.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #9
    Northwind
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Amberoo, if your surgery was in Dec 09 then it is still early. I had the big toe fused six months ago, and the incision is still a little sensitive. It was sensitive a couple of months ago too. Be patient.

I ahve a friend who had bunion surgery many years ago when she was 17. She seems to have no foot problems now, and seems to be able to wear most shoes. She certainly wears flip flops.

Good luck.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
    lenabbad13
    (female)

lenabbad13 HB User

I had my bunion surgery performed on April 8 of this year. I also have two screws placed in my big toe. I had a hammertoe procedure done at the same time on my little toe, both surgeries were done my left foot. My arch is very swollen, can barely put on a thong sandal, because of the "y" shape of thong sandals which cut into my arch and rub my bunion incision. The scar is minimal ( I am an African-American woman, and it did not keloid!), but it is still very tender as well as my small toe. I have to admit, I did have a pedicure last Thursday, but brought my own disinfectant, betadine and pedicure utencils. I recently purchased a pair of Ferragamo flats (unworn) before the surgery and left foot is very swollen. Ice packs and elevation even at work. I think it will be awhile before I can wear my Louboutins, if ever again!!!!! Will just have to wear their flats or buy Chanel ballerinas! Good luck to all the "B"-girls out there. ">)

Old 06-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
    jane806
    (female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenabbad13 View Post
    The scar is minimal ( I am an African-American woman, and it did not keloid!), but it is still very tender...
    I'm Caucasian and have a very small scar on my left foot (Lapidus 8/09), but have a small keloid on my right foot (Lapidus 12/09). The incision on my right foot didn't heal as easily as the left. My doctor said the inside dissolvable stitches were poking through and irritating my skin, and that's where the keloid formed. It's still purplish, but I was told it could take a year to turn flesh-toned.

I'm surprised that the incision areas are still quite tender! That's where I have the most trouble with my shoes - I can sear sandals and shoes that don't rub the incisions. No heels yet, but I don't see a problem with wearing 1-2" ones soon. I'm more excited to start running than wearing heels!

Old 10-28-2010, 03:44 AM   #12
    redy22
    (female)

redy22 HB User

OMG! I'm glad I found your post because I am feeling the exact same way!

I had bunion surgery 6 weeks ago, I had a very mild case of a bunion that cause no pain (I just didn't like the way it looked). But my podiatrist advised me that I should have the surgery done in order to avoid the problem getting worse and perhaps having arthritis complications as I got older. I remember specifically asking him if I would be able to wear high heels again and his response was "well that's the point." Now it's 6 weeks after and I can barely move my toe up or down and I'm freaking out. Not only because walking is kinda hard since I can't bend my toe but also because I'm worried I will never be able to wear high heels again!

I know you had your surgery done months ago and are farther along in the healing process...could you please tell me how much you can bend your toe now and if you're going to be able to wear heels again? I'm really freaking out and wishing I had never done this

If anybody is experiencing the same thing or has experienced this could you please let me know if toe mobility being almost non-existent at 6wks is normal and if it greatly improves over time...thanks in advance

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dany1972 View Post
    Hi everybody,

Old 10-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #13
    jpsumner
    (female)

jpsumner HB User

It's been 6 weeks post-op, your foot might not return to it's "normal" state for upwards of a year. Stop expecting it to be normal so soon after a traumatic surgery.

It's been 9 months since I've had my right foot bunionectomy and 5 months since my left and my feet are still sore. I cannot wear heels because they are too uncomfortable and my feet still aren't back to normal.

Are you working with your toe exercises? These will help increase flexibility in your foot. Are you also rubbing on your incision scar? This will help break up the scar tissue that is forming from your surgery. I recommend getting some Vitamin E oil or mederma gel and rubbing your scar 3-5 times a day. Have patience and know that in time you will be back to normal, but an expectation of being there so soon after surgery is a bit unrealistic.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #14
    eyelure
    (female)

eyelure HB User

Hey guys,

Im around 8 1/2 weeks post op for bilateral bunion surgery. I am not able to wear anything other than trainers which are a siz e and a half bigger than my normal shoe size. Im getting alot of pain at the ball of my feet when walking. Im not too sure if this is due to me being flat footed.

Thanks for the tip about rubbing vit e oil into scar I shall certainly try that as my scar seems to be raised

I cant emphasise enough the importance of toe/foot exercises....

Old 03-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
    rosal
    (female)

rosal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by redy22 View Post
    OMG! I'm glad I found your post because I am feeling the exact same way!

I had bunion surgery 6 weeks ago, I had a very mild case of a bunion that cause no pain (I just didn't like the way it looked). But my podiatrist advised me that I should have the surgery done in order to avoid the problem getting worse and perhaps having arthritis complications as I got older. I remember specifically asking him if I would be able to wear high heels again and his response was "well that's the point." Now it's 6 weeks after and I can barely move my toe up or down and I'm freaking out. Not only because walking is kinda hard since I can't bend my toe but also because I'm worried I will never be able to wear high heels again!

I know you had your surgery done months ago and are farther along in the healing process...could you please tell me how much you can bend your toe now and if you're going to be able to wear heels again? I'm really freaking out and wishing I had never done this

If anybody is experiencing the same thing or has experienced this could you please let me know if toe mobility being almost non-existent at 6wks is normal and if it greatly improves over time...thanks in advance
    I had bunion surgery on my right foot 3 weeks ago. I am in so much pain still. I have a full cast almost up to my knee and no movement in my big toe. I can't move it at all. It is also completely numb. I really want to know how your progress is and if you can move your big toe. Also, can you wear heels yet? Thanks

Closed Thread