It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Ankle Braces

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
    Exit 148
    (female)

Exit 148 HB User
    Ankle Braces

I have PTTD. Evidently it began with an injury ?30? years ago, but I wasn't aware of the damage that was being done until a few years ago. I'm 79 now and not about to undergo an ankle fusion. I recently had successful knee replacement and it was easy as compared to what I hear of ankle fusion surgery. I use a Royce brace and was fitted for an Arizona brace, but have not used it yet. I need shoes to allow it to fit.

My question -- has anyone used either of these braces? I like the Royce, but it really is only supportive -- not corrective. I understand that the firmer Arizona brace can be corrective, but I'd like to hear the opinions of others.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
    rose815
    (female)

rose815 HB User
    Re: Ankle Braces -- Royce / Arizona

I wore an Arizona Brace for 2 years before I had my surgery for PTTD. It helped a lot. I had to buy 2 pairs of shoes though as it raised my shoe size a half a size. I had to wear "Amish" style shoes with a bigger toe box. Not very stylish I must say. No wonder I have a shoe fetish now. I don't blame you for not wanting ankle fusion. The Pttd surgery was not a pleasant thing to go through, and I went through it at 55. I had my 1 year Dr. Appt. last week and he said that the tendon took so I wouldn't have to have fusion. I was thrilled. Good luck with the brace... I would use it again to put off surgery if I have to for my other foot. The only disadvantage is that it made my leg swell above the brace and I had to put it on and lace it up to go to the bathroom at night then take it off again.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
    RollTide09
    (male)

RollTide09 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Exit 148 View Post
    I have PTTD. Evidently it began with an injury ?30? years ago, but I wasn't aware of the damage that was being done until a few years ago. I'm 79 now and not about to undergo an ankle fusion. I recently had successful knee replacement and it was easy as compared to what I hear of ankle fusion surgery. I use a Royce brace and was fitted for an Arizona brace, but have not used it yet. I need shoes to allow it to fit.

My question -- has anyone used either of these braces? I like the Royce, but it really is only supportive -- not corrective. I understand that the firmer Arizona brace can be corrective, but I'd like to hear the opinions of others.
    I recently began wearing an Arizona brace after being diagnosed with PTTD. I too have heard and spoken with a few people that have gone thru the ankle fusion and I DO NOT want to go thru that unless there is no other alternative.
    My Orthopedist recommended the Arizona brace. I like it. I can walk pain free for 10-12 hours a day. As for the shoe issue, I had problems at first until the brace tech told me of a place called FOOT SOLUTIONS. They have stores all over the country and specialize in shoes for folks like us. Also found that NEW BALANCE has a lot of wide width and oversized shoes (required for the Arizona brace). Personally, I love my Arizona brace. I never dreamed something so ugly could relieve my pain so quickly and completely(as long as I'm wearing it). Good luck to you!

Old 04-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
    Exit 148
    (female)

Exit 148 HB User

Thank you Rose and RollTide! There is a Foot Solution fairly close and I will give them a try. Since I'm in 'sneaker/sport shoes' most of the time (winter) then they should have something for me. I also want a strap sandal for Summer and hope they have a supportive sandal. As far as dressing up shoes, I could always go to the less bulky Royce brace that I use now.

That must be difficult having to put the brace on to go to the bathroom at night!! Is'nt there a night strap you could wear to bed that would be OK for the short trip to the BR?

The swelling above the Royce brace is evident when I take it off at night, but it just reminds me to keep the salt down and the fluids up.

I have little pain when walking, but the foot deformity is like the flattest of flat feet. I hurt when the bottom of the tibia and fibula seem to shift. I don't know if that is what happens, but it hurts and when I realign the foot it feels better.

Rose -- you said you had surgery. Was that to just repair the tendon without having to realign the foot with pins?

Old 04-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
    ProspectNaples
    (female)

ProspectNaples HB User
    Re: Ankle Braces

My doctor had me fitted for a Ricchi brace last summer and it absolutely took me out of pain. I'm only 55 and I need the ankle fusion surgery but I just wasn't ready to do it. This brace has been like a miracle for me. I can walk almost 2 miles with no pain at all. Now when I take the brace off my ankle is very unstable and if I move it the wrong way say at night when I'm sleeping the pain is instant and severe. But I swear by this brace. It gave me some of my life back. I just need to find the courage to go ahead with the surgery. I agree with you though, if I was your age I would never do it!

The Following User Says Thank You to ProspectNaples For This Useful Post:
    Knitlib (01-13-2011)
    Old 05-01-2010, 04:01 AM   #6
    rose815
    (female)

rose815 HB User

No the surgery was for a total foot reconstruction. My surgeon said my foot was a mess. He did the tendon transfer, osteotomy with a honkin' 7 inch screw in my heel, lengthened my achilles and did something with the spring ligament. I still have pain somedays from the screw. I think it has to do with the weather. I wonder if I'll set off security alarms in the airport? LOL I forgot to ask him that. As for sandals with my arizona, I did wear them, I had to take the one to a shoe repair shop and the guy there sewed on somemore leather to extend the strap.

Closed Thread