HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Question about pain after peroneal repair (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/745056-question-about-pain-after-peroneal-repair.html)

rugriok 10-09-2010 04:09 AM

Re: Question about pain after peroneal repair

Hi All,
Well, I started my pt on Thursday. Got my acupuncture ( I love Chi), a little work, circles, alphabet, etc. My ankle is haywire. I woke up in the night with extreme pain. Pill time. Since it is Thanksgiving here, I will not see my pt until Tuesday of next week. That is good with me....LOL. My pain is in my heal.....brutal. Laying down elevated last night, electric shocks like I stuck my ankle into an electrical outlet. Taking pain meds pretty regular once again. UGH!!
When I was at the pt, I tripped over their carpet runner, kind of got stuck in the lip. I did not fall, but I jarred it. I am hoping the air cast kept me safe and what I am experiencing is the start of my recovery. :confused:
Yesterday I had my first day ever that tears were my companion. It is so frustrating to think ( I did) that I could go to pt and be on this ankle in no time.
I have a house full of family coming on Monday and I will be more in the way than help!!! That is so upsetting to me!
Adahous, I keep what you wrote to me in the front of my mind.....it is going to take a while!
I still have that numb thigh and blood rushing.......I guess everything takes time!!
I should also mention that my mri showed sinus tarsi syndrome....my os is under the premis that this operation should or could fix it!!!
Can't wait to get this overall feeling of frustration under control!! :wave:

mejanie 12-08-2010 04:13 AM

[QUOTE=rugriok;4342035]Hi All,
Well, I started my pt on Thursday. Got my acupuncture ( I love Chi), a little work, circles, alphabet, etc. My ankle is haywire. I woke up in the night with extreme pain. Pill time. Since it is Thanksgiving here, I will not see my pt until Tuesday of next week. That is good with me....LOL. My pain is in my heal.....brutal. Laying down elevated last night, electric shocks like I stuck my ankle into an electrical outlet. Taking pain meds pretty regular once again. UGH!!
When I was at the pt, I tripped over their carpet runner, kind of got stuck in the lip. I did not fall, but I jarred it. I am hoping the air cast kept me safe and what I am experiencing is the start of my recovery. :confused:
Yesterday I had my first day ever that tears were my companion. It is so frustrating to think ( I did) that I could go to pt and be on this ankle in no time.
I have a house full of family coming on Monday and I will be more in the way than help!!! That is so upsetting to me!
Adahous, I keep what you wrote to me in the front of my mind.....it is going to take a while!
I still have that numb thigh and blood rushing.......I guess everything takes time!!
I should also mention that my mri showed sinus tarsi syndrome....my os is under the premis that this operation should or could fix it!!!
Can't wait to get this overall feeling of frustration under control!! :wave:[/QUOTE]
Hi,
I'm wondering how you are doing? You mention frustration. I am so frustrated I can hardly bear it. 1 1/2 hears ago, I fell from a very high ladder and shattered my calcaneous (heel bone). Absolutely unbearable. 3 months bed rest and so on. a year later I was still in horrible pain. I had another surgery for a degenerated subtaylor joint which had to be fused. It's been 7 months and still horrible. Another mri showed tendon problems. I had surgery 5 days ago and they found both peroneal tendons with long tears and retinaculum tendon was torn and repaired. I'm in so much pain and wondering when is this going to stop. Will I ever get my life back again? How is your recovery? What do they tell you to expect as fart as how long before you will feel better and walk normal? Thanks for any advise.. Im at my whits end....Jane

ASC1018 12-08-2010 11:22 AM

I just had peroneal tendon repair on November 5. I was in a lot of pain for a little over 2 weeks then it subsided. Before it was over I went through 84 Nucynta, 42 dilaudid, and I am still taking Lyrica because I had a lot of nerve pain. Try taking 800mg of ibuprofen along with your pain meds. The doctor had me do that from the beginning.

Keep it elevated (I still have to elevate it to keep the pain away) and ice it for 20 mins every hour. Put the ice under your knee...it really helps. Trying to put it over the bandages/splint won't help as much as behind the knee.

I did not get a lot of relief until I was out of the bandages and in my cast. That was over 10 days post op...then I really felt I turned a corner.

Everyone told me 1 week and that was not realistic. You had a lot of work done and you have to be patient. I planned on only lying around for a week and spent almost 2.5 weeks in bed instead. Don't push it...you will pay for it later.

Good luck!!!!

mejanie 12-08-2010 10:50 PM

I really appreciate your getting back to me. Even my Dr said the recovery is nothing. From what I am reading and the amount and of repair I had done It looks it will be more like 6 months as opposed to the one month the Dr. told me. Having been supposedly "recovering" for a year and a half already, another 6 month is going to be brutal. The toughest part is the mental part of dealing with pain that never subsides. I have dealt with the deepest of depressions as a result of how mentally challenging it has been. Not to mention gaining 25 pounds. I don't even know who I am anymore.

I am shocked at the amount of pain meds you have gone through. How are you doing now? What happened? I really appreciate you getting back to me. I feel so alone and like my family is like "snap out of it!" They don't understand the amount of pain I am in. Only until I have more surgeries do they believe that something really was wrong. It's been 5 days post op and already demands are being put on me.

I'm going to try the ice behind the knee. Great idea. I'm on percocet and it's not helping much. Elevating it as high has possible has helped a lot. I don't move unless I need to go the the bathroom. I really hope you are doing better. When you say you had nerve damage was that during surgery? That is supposed to be a bear.

Thanks again for getting back to me. You can't know how much I appreciate it..
Sincerely, Jane

jtfuel 01-24-2011 09:11 AM

Thanks all for all the hints...I've got the ice pack behind the knee now and seen an improvement already. Just had the Peroneal Repair done Jan 18th. The Dr. had mentioned scraping some arthritis off the bone also. Follow-up is on Feb 3rd will find out all the details. Main reason was searching was pain after the surgery. It is still quite painful even though I've been keeping it raised with a couple of pillows. I've been laying down most of the time and only getting up with crutches to go to the bathroom. As soon as I get back and raise my ankle, it starts throbbing and I can feel it swelling up as the plaster pieces start digging into my ankle/foot which is EXTREMELY painful. I was getting worried that the pain is lasting this long, but reading your stories I realize a week isn't so bad. I was put on Lyrica and Celebrex (Had spinal tap) only 6 days each. I've had to double up some of the Oxy as the 10mg didn't seem to be doing it. Almost time for a refill. Another weird thing is my big toe is pretty painful all the way down my foot. Anyone else experienced that? Thanks again all for sharing your experiences and helping out.

Now you can have a laugh at my expense...
On the 2nd morning after the surgery I was having a dream....in my dream I was driving around...as always I wasn't paying attention and the car in front me stopped and I was forced to slam on the breaks... Of course at this point (in real life) I was already out of the REM stage and actually "slammed on the breaks" with my bandaged leg. After the pain went away, I was able to have a good chuckle!

mejanie 01-24-2011 10:31 AM

Hi..
I know what you are going through... It is horrifically painful. Don't know the date of you surgery but since you are still in a cast it must have been within a week/10 days or so? I know for me the higher I elevated it the better. An I mean HIGH... It HAS to be over the level of the heart. I have been going through this stuff since May of 2009...The one think that all my surgeries had in common was swelling=pain.. It is the most important thing to control.

After my first surgery, my son even rigged a traction device for me so it could be as high as possible. Not only did it really help the pain but the doctors had never seen such fast healing of the wound. That's important because the foot has very little circulation and healing can be a problem.....

I had my last surgery about 7 weeks ago and I'm still in pain. Both peroneals were shredded and the ligament that holds them under the ankle bone had to be reconstructed. The pain is nothing like what you are going through but....again... if it swells up, I'm in pain. I still have to spend most of my day icing and elevating. You must be patient.

Secondly, be CAREFUL with the oxycontin. It is HIGHLY addictive and detox is crazy painful. Switch to something like percocet (still highly addictive but not as much as oxy, then vicoden, and get off of them in 3 weeks time. Ibuprophen works great.. I'm only on tylenol now...

Haven't heard of the toe pain but i'm suspecting it is all related to the swelling. Stay off it and keep it high!!!
Good luck!
Jane

jtfuel 01-27-2011 09:26 PM

Again thanks for the info. Very helpful. I pretty much went off the Oxy right after reading your warning :-S The elevating and icing = less swelling = less pain so didn't really need it. On Tylenol Extras for the last few days with some Naproxen as needed.

As mentioned before I had a sharp pain in the big toe and I found out (with help of my wife) what the pain is...seems they cut me on the outside of the toe during the Op and it rubs on the part of the cast and most painful when I rip it open every time I stretch my leg out...he's gonna get 2cents for that one...Followup on Tuesday and Hard Cast.

You said you're on 7th week (obviously more complex surgery) and still have pain and swelling (which less than assured me...lol) but initially they told me after the 2 weeks in the non-weight bearing half-cast I would be able to go back to work (Desk Job)...what's your thoughts/experiences with that?