It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Surgery May 14th

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
    JT76
    (female)

JT76 HB User
    Surgery May 14th

I am finally getting my surgery. I am anxious but excited that I am finally going to be getting some help. My story is a long one. I am 40 years old but my problems began when I was just 18 years old. Pretty young to have to have the PTT repaired but that is what happened. I had an accessory navicular bone removed and the posterior tibial tendon repaired. I was in the hospital for nearly a week, a cast for 8 weeks, no PT. Now I am facing a much bigger surgery and they plan on doing it as an out patient. That does scare me a bit because I remember how I felt after the first surgery. I do know that medicine has improved greatly over the last 20 years.

What my doctor is going to do is take the tendon that goes to my big toe and transplant it to my PTT site. He is also going to cut my heel off and slide it over. He told me that I will be in a hard cast for 6 weeks and a walking boot for 6 months with lots of PT.

I work as a bank teller. I only have 2 weeks of vacation so I have to return to work in 2 weeks. I financially can not afford to not work. My co-workers are wonderful and they are willing to make concessions for me so I know that I can make it. I also have a high pain tolerance.

Many factors concern me about the recovery. I have 4 steps coming into my house with no hand rail and 3 steps going up to my room. I know that it is going to make it difficult to mauneuver around the house. I also have to be able to drive to work after my 2 weeks off. Driving is going to be a challange since it is my right foot that they are working on. I have done it before and I know I can drive with my foot across the seat but I was much younger and far more flexible back then.

I thought I would start a thread to gain advice and support.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-11-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: Surgery scheduled for May 14th

I will look forward to reading about your upcoming treatment and surgery. Good luck! While you are 40, you are still very young and hopefully it will all go smoothly for you.

I understand you concerns about work. I'm guessing your employer does not offer any short term disability? I work the federal government and they don't either, so if I decide to have surgery, my time off will be at the expense of my vacation time too. Fortunately, they are pretty good about allowing people to telework when they get into these situations but I guess a bank teller can't really do that, huh?

Well, please be sure to keep us up to date!

Old 04-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
    cynthiem
    (female)

cynthiem HB User

Hi - I had surgery March 26th - your surgery sounds a lot like what I had.

When I had my surgery, my dr said that he tends to be conservative and wanted me there for the night after surgery - two reasons: good pain management (I had very little pain) and to reduce the risk of infection (intervenous antibiotics - then another round for ten days at home). I think part of the reason that your stay won't be as long as 20 years ago is partially because of insurance. If you can possibly finagle a night in the hospital, I'd strongly recommend it. Just going to the bathroom can be tricky. Will you have help at home?

My surgery was also on my right foot and I haven't driven since. I think that's the worst part for me at this point! Good luck with that.

Can anyone install some sort of railings for you to get into your house? And have you looked into renting a "leg caddy" or "knee scooter"? They're worth their weight in gold, I think. Another thing I found helpful is a toilet seat with handles. My mother-in-law had hip surgery a year ago and lent me all sorts of great stuff, but the handled seat has really been a wonderful help. Not to sound too "potty-obsessed", but loose pants with elastic pants are good to have around, too, for the first couple of weeks. Let's just say it was a little difficult for me to orchestrate the process in a timely fashion at first!

I, too, will be eagerly reading your posts to see your progress. Good luck!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
    JT76
    (female)

JT76 HB User

thanks for your response. My dad is going to build some hand rails for the steps. He also has a handrail that goes around the toilet. I am going to borrow that. Driving is fun with only your right leg but I have done it before. Just for kicks and to make sure I still could I have been playing around with it and I can do it. I live in a very rural area so there is little traffic I don't think I would if I lived in a large city.

Oops I meant without your right leg. Too many distractions while typing. Lol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cynthiem View Post
    Hi - I had surgery March 26th - your surgery sounds a lot like what I had.

When I had my surgery, my dr said that he tends to be conservative and wanted me there for the night after surgery - two reasons: good pain management (I had very little pain) and to reduce the risk of infection (intervenous antibiotics - then another round for ten days at home). I think part of the reason that your stay won't be as long as 20 years ago is partially because of insurance. If you can possibly finagle a night in the hospital, I'd strongly recommend it. Just going to the bathroom can be tricky. Will you have help at home?

My surgery was also on my right foot and I haven't driven since. I think that's the worst part for me at this point! Good luck with that.

Can anyone install some sort of railings for you to get into your house? And have you looked into renting a "leg caddy" or "knee scooter"? They're worth their weight in gold, I think. Another thing I found helpful is a toilet seat with handles. My mother-in-law had hip surgery a year ago and lent me all sorts of great stuff, but the handled seat has really been a wonderful help. Not to sound too "potty-obsessed", but loose pants with elastic pants are good to have around, too, for the first couple of weeks. Let's just say it was a little difficult for me to orchestrate the process in a timely fashion at first!

I, too, will be eagerly reading your posts to see your progress. Good luck!

Last edited by JT76; 04-25-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Typo.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
    JT76
    (female)

JT76 HB User

Only 17 day till my surgery. I went today and did my pretesting. I also picked up my Rx for my knee walker. On the script it says that I will need it for 2-3 months. Makes it all hit home. That is a long time to be off my foot. I know it will be worth it but I have to wrap my head around it and focus on that. My dad always would tell me that you have to purpose to feel good. He was right most times the way you view things can dictate how you feel. I am going to will myself to have a quick recovery. I am going to focus on the positive outcome that I know is coming to get past that moment of pain and discomfort.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:26 AM   #6
    cynthiem
    (female)

cynthiem HB User

2-3 months is a long time to be off your foot, but think of the rewards! The knee walker is a God-send in my view. Being able to be mobile like that is so wonderful. I have a walker upstairs and a pair of crutches for going out on my back porch, getting out front to someone's car, and other times when the knee walker doesn't work. You can get a walker and crutches at a thrift store typically.

About the knee walker - will you be renting or buying? Does your insurance cover some of it? I rented one and I'm sorry I didn't just buy one. I got a good deal - $85 a month - however, mine isn't covered by insurance (that I know of) and I could have bought one on Craigslist and sold it again. Plus, the one I rented is kind of shaky (well used) and is pretty basic. I would have liked a basket and brakes on both back wheels (mine only has a brake on one). Oh, well.

By the way, yesterday I drove myself to a hair appointment - only about 3 miles round trip. I drove using my left foot. It was nice to have the freedom to go on my own, but I won't do it again! I don't have much control. If I had to drive myself to work, I'd have to practice a lot first.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
    JT76
    (female)

JT76 HB User

My insurance will pay 80% for the knee walker so I will probably just rent it. I got a call today and they pushed myurgery back 4 hours. Not too big of a deal but now it is not till 2 pm and that means 14 hours with nothing by mouth. That will be hard. I thought 10 am was going to be tough. I have been getting thing gathered together. The boards have been a wealth of information on what I am going to need post op. I will keep you posted.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
    JT76
    (female)

JT76 HB User

Oh I forgot to say congrats on driving. I have been doing lots of practice. I just throw my leg into the passenger front seat and sit a little cockeyed but I can still wear my seatbelt.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
    cynthiem
    (female)

cynthiem HB User

Good for you for practicing your left foot driving. Wish I had prepared myself that way.

What a bummer to move your surgery back. Maybe stay up late the night before (eating?...) then sleep in?

I have two other things I thought to tell you about. One, after about three weeks from my surgery, my knees were getting really sore - I find that sometimes it's just easier to crawl to do something. This happens especially upstairs for me where I just have a walker. So, I bought some knee pads - purchased at Big Lots for $12. They're great. (I also crawl up the stairs in my house.)

Secondly, I had scheduled a massage and pedicure for the day before surgery and mentioned it to my surgeon at my pre-op appointment. He said that I shouldn't bother with nail polish on the toes, because they'll just take it off before surgery. Also, there's a lot of nasty stuff on your toes that can create problems if you have any cuts or scrapes on your legs. Evidently, you shouldn't shave within 24 hours of getting a pedicure. That said, I'm glad I got one, but I should have done it a day or so earlier than I did.

It's so great that you found these boards before your surgery. It's hard to understand what you're in for without "talking" to others who have experienced it.

Cynthie (just 145 hours away from getting my cast off!)

Old 04-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
    JT76
    (female)

JT76 HB User

I had already decided that I wasn't going to shave. I made that mistake years ago and ingrown hairs in a cast makes a girl miserable. Knee pads are a great idea. I will pick up some this weekend.

Tomorrow will be exactly 2 weeks left till my surgery. I am so ready to get it done with. I have to will myself to heal fast. I o ly have 2 weeks that I can afford to take off without losing pay. My boss is sending me to training next week so that when I get back I can open loans that will give me more sit down time.

I spoke to a man today that had the same type of surgery and he too returned in 2 weeks he said it was tough but he did it so that gives me hope.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
    PeggyJM
    (female)

PeggyJM HB User

Will you be able to elevate your foot at work? You'll find that the first few weeks that it is very uncomfortable to have your foot down because it swells and throbs.

I understand your concern about having the surgery done as an outpatient but it really is ok. I had my other foot done 7 years ago and I was in for three days because they kept pumping meds into the nerve block on my leg so that it remained numb. When I was told that this surgery was going to be done as an outpatient I was very nervous. I had my surgery done at 10 am and I was home by 1:30! I couldn't believe it! I had a nerve block on my leg and it didn't wear off for 31 hours. The nurses told me to start taking my pain meds before it wore off so the pain was really very manageable. My first surgery I also had the IV antibiotics and then oral antibiotics for 10 days but this time I didn't take any antibiotics. That also surprised me, but my husband said that maybe when they get you out of the hospital so quickly you are less likely to get an infection. Although I was nervous about going home so soon, I will say that it was more comfortable to be home in my own bed with my husband doting on me than being at the hospital.

Good luck to you! I look forward to hearing how you're doing.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
    JT76
    (female)

JT76 HB User

Yes I will be able to elavate my foot. I remember the throbbing. I know it will have to be up as much as possible. I also will have ice packs at work to put on my foot.

Thank you for your words of support. I will keep you posted.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
    JT76
    (female)

JT76 HB User

Only a few days left till my surgery. Spoke to the hospital and they ate going to let me pay out my deductible. I have to pay 100 on Friday and then 100 per month. My maximum out of pocket is 1250 so that is not bad. My husband found a place to rent my rollabout. It is only 90 per month and that will be applied to my deductable. I am picking up several of the blue ice packs to have on hand and Popsicles to have in case I have nasuea which I tend to have following surgery. I think I have it all planned.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #14
    cynthiem
    (female)

cynthiem HB User

Good for you for being prepared! I have been thinking about you all week as you prepare mentally for your upcoming surgery. Do you have good books and other stuff to keep you occupied?

I look forward to reading about your recovery!

Old 05-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #15
    (male)

62557 HB User

Good for you for being ready. I was just givin the clearance for my surgery fri. I will think of you fri am. as I wait. I t sounds like you are having more done than I am and I hope it goes well for you. I am scheduled for PT repair , sutalar implant and a transfer. I am a little anxious about ti all because I have heard to many times "this will take care of it" and it didn't. I think the Ortho hit it right this time. We will see.
    Stay in touch and best wishes for a succesfuk procedure!
    Don

Closed Thread