It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Twice the charm? Facing mid-fusion/tendon transfer or possible triple arthroedesis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
    lateasha
    (female)

lateasha HB User
    Thumbs down Facing mid-fusion/tendon transfer or possible triple arthroedesis

Hi,

It's been a long time, about 2 years since I've last posted. I was here 2 years ago discussing the flatfoot reconstructive surgery that I had for both feet. Unfortunately, the r foot which was the worse of the 2 evils collapsed again due to me not receiving adequate pt through no fault of my own-long and exhausting story in and of itself so I will leave it at that lol. Well, this time around will be an enhancement to what was done in 08. However, while it is without question that i require surgery, my 2nd opinion is suggesting a triple while my Podiatrist is suggesting a mid with tendon transfer so I am getting x-rays now. On Mon when I see my Dr again, I'll learn my fate!!!!

Not very happy at all that I'll be doing this a 3rd time, 2nd time during summer. I am just now starting to shed the weight gain from the surgeries, oh well maybe that's a good thing so at least it's not much more than the first 2 times lol. Additionally, everybody's got plans and vacations so I will be taking care of myself. One of my friends agreed to take me to the hospital and stay for a week which is beautiful but after that.............Scary, very scary because I know how limited you are for 2 months. Not exactly sure how i will pull this off. Although the 2nd one was a lot smoother and I recovered faster which could've been because that foot wasn't nearly as bad as the r. For now just the r is being treated in hopes that it will alleviate problems on the left. I won't psyche myself but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Surgery is scheduled to happen in 2 weeks if I don't have to have triple otherwise the date could change but won't know that till Mon. In the meantime, I have a couple of trips planned myself up until that dreadful day lol. Being single never bothered me as much as it does now. Moments like this, it Plain Sucks!!!!! Lol

Last edited by lateasha; 06-24-2010 at 07:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
    lateasha
    (female)

lateasha HB User
    Talking Re: Twice the charm? Facing mid-fusion/tendon transfer or possible triple arthroedesi

Hi is anybody out there lol!

Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
    dianelev
    (female)

dianelev HB User
    Re: Twice the charm? Facing mid-fusion/tendon transfer or possible triple arthroedesi

Sorry to hear about your predicament! In 2002, I had a torn posterior tibial tendon so my surgeon repaired it and performed a calcaneal osteotomy. After a year, it failed, and so he opted to do a midfoot fusion. Ironically, I was doing great but then broke that same ankle last year. I just recently had a subtalar fusion due to complications from that injury.
    One thing I was wondering about your situation: how does your surgeon explain the difference between the midfoot fusion and the triple arthrodesis? What would be the advantage of one over the other? I know with my midfoot fusion, I lost any side to side motion. Just curious about what your surgeon said about this. If I can answer any of your questions, just let me know!
    Diane

Old 06-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
    lateasha
    (female)

lateasha HB User
    Re: Twice the charm? Facing mid-fusion/tendon transfer or possible triple arthroedesi

Hi Diane!! Yay, I got a response lol

Yes, I'm a big goof ball at heart although all of the stress from this has me as the polar opposite lately. To answer your question, that's what I'm going to ask on Mon when we go over my x-rays. While I'm petrified of the triple, to be honest I much rather do it now while I'm still young and get it over with If holds greater assurance to fix my ailment. If it's rolling the dice kind of deal, then I'll pass on it.

If you wouldn't mind, could you share your recovery process/experience after having a triple and any supplies/equipment advice or tips to offer? I still have my shower chair, roller chair and only 2 ice packs from the last surgeries. I'm getting the aquashield next week, I've been eyeing this cold therapy ice machine that's recommended for post foot operations. Any thoughts or suggestions you have to offer I'm all eyes!!!!!!!

Last edited by moderator2; 06-25-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 06-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
    dianelev
    (female)

dianelev HB User

Hi Lateasha,

I guess I have had the equivalent of a triple arthrodesis, but in two separate surgeries a few years apart. I had different surgeons for both and my recoveries have been different so far. Back in 2003 or so, I had the talonavicular and calcanealcubiod (midfoot) fusion with bone graft from my pelvis. The first couple weeks are the hardest and the bone graft is not fun! I was nonweightbearing for 6-8 weeks and then partial wb for 6-8 weeks. After that, it was lots of pt. The hardest part for me was getting used to the lack of motion in my foot. I wanted to move my foot side to side but it wouldnt budge! I did get used to it, but after that, I was unable to return to any high impact sports. My pain however was gone!! I just had my subtalar fusion (the last part of the triple) about 5 weeks ago. I was only nwb for 2 weeks and then wb as tolerated after that until September! I am not sure what the rest of the recovery will be like...
    In terms of advice, you seem to have a lot of the necessities. I also got a small cooler which my husband filled with drinks and snacks while he went to work. It is good to have a travel mug so you can carry drinks without spilling them! Have as many things to distract you as possible, i.e. movies, games, books, etc. The boredom is aweful and can get really discouraging! You might also want to get an ace bandage or a strap to wrap your ice packs around so they dont fall off. Wow, it is hard to think of everything.

Please let me know what your surgeon says. Let me know if I can be of any more help!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
    PeggyJM
    (female)

PeggyJM HB User

Hi Lateasha,
    7 years ago I was faced with the possibility of either a talonavicular arthrodesis +tendon transfer +calcaneal osteotomy or a triple arthrodesis after a failed PTTD surgery where they just tried to tack down the PTT and anchor the accessory navicular. My second surgery was being done in a university setting and the residents were all suggesting a triple, but the attending OS explained that he recommended to not do the triple, because although the triple had a higher success rate, that he was concerned that I would outlive my ankle and that you limit your options down the road....that if I did the talonavicular fusion, tendon transfer and calcaneal osteotomy that if it failed, they could always do the triple later. I haven't had any problems with that foot in the 7 years since surgery and just had pretty much the same surgery on my right foot, but due to severe arthritis in my big toe, they fused the big toe rather than the talonavicular.
    Let us know what you decide to do.
    Peggy

Closed Thread