HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Knee walker, to steer or not to steer? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/755304-knee-walker-steer-not-steer.html)

Koolestkat 06-24-2010 06:54 PM

Knee walker, to steer or not to steer?

Hi, everyone
I'm having PTTD surgery on July 12th and will rent a knee walker (unless I can find it for an attractive price). I'm debating whether to get a steering one or not. I need it to be light enough for me to put in the car, I will mostly be housebound at first so the walker will be mostly used in carpet. I'm going to the rental place on Saturday to look at both models. If anyone has used one of these I'll appreciate any advice
Thanks and happy healing:wave:

janewhite1 06-24-2010 07:15 PM

Re: Knee walker, to steer or not to steer?

Do not get Invacare brand, it is unsafe. I rented one for 10 minutes once, and it dumped me on the ground twice. Luckily this was pre-surgery and low-speed, so I wasn't hurt, but I immediately returned it.

ahodus 06-25-2010 06:24 AM

They are great but like janewhite1 said you do have to be careful until you are used to it. I took mine out a few times before surgery so I got used to using. The one thing I think I would change is to possibly have one that has the T handle bars for better steering. Also look at the types of wheels that are on it. Some have just little caster rollers (would be hard to use outside) others have larger ones (better for trips outside).
Good luck!

sarahluke 06-25-2010 08:51 PM

Check out the cost of renting for 6-8 weeks then check the price of buying. Mine was a fortune to rent and my insurance didn't cover it. Get a knee caddy not a seated walker. PS, they are fun :)

pacsman 06-27-2010 09:01 AM

Having used a knee walker for a week now after flat foot reconstruction, I do not know what I would do if it could not steer. I can only imagine the frustration of always picking it up and realigning it. Granted, the one I have does not do sharp turns well (I end up picking up the front and moving it) but for normal things, the steering is a very nice feature to have.

Since I will most likely be doing this to the other foot too, I decided to purchase mine. I picked up the 3 wheel Medline Weil Knee Walker from an online store. Not too expensive but not too cheap. Overall, I like it but it is rather heavy so getting it in/out of the car was difficult for my wife to help out with but I find it ok. It is sturdy and I really cannot complain about it just yet.

Best wishes to you!

Koolestkat 06-27-2010 03:39 PM

Thanks, everyone, after much thought I decided to purchase online. The cost was comparable to renting and insurance will not cover it. I went with the non-steering one because of the weight, I really need it to be light enough to pick up. I still have 2 weeks before surgery, the walker should get here in a few days and I'll have time to practice. Any experiences or suggestions pertaining to its use are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks to all. Happy blessed healing.:wave:

sarahluke 06-27-2010 04:37 PM

Hi Koolestkat,
Can I ask you how much you are buying it for? I never found a good price to buy so I rented but I hated paying the rental price because it was very high. I don't think it takes any practice or anything to use a knee scooter. They are fun and easy. If you have a standard size bathroom though you may find that you need to either back in or back out because it is really hard to turn around in the space! I hit my foot once trying to turn around and that was that... I backed out from then on. Good luck!! You'll do great.

Koolestkat 06-29-2010 06:01 PM

Hi, Sarah, hope you're doing well and improving.

I bought the knee walker for $199 at the large online retailer whose name starts with an A. (I'm not sure I'm allowed to say the name). According to the reviews, at some point it was $165. The walker looked pretty much like the one I was about to rent. It should be here in a few days.

Less than 2 weeks now for me. Not panicking yet, but it'll hit me soon.