It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Pain with walking, post PTTD surgery, crutch techiques

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #16
    michlei
    Veteran
    (female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User
    Re: Pain with walking, post PTTD surgery, crutch techiques

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlatfootDiva View Post
    What a great present for Christmas! I am 12 weeks post surgery and today walked about 20 steps without any crutches! In truth, I don't feel very strong so I am using one or two crutches as feels best. The doctor thought I'd be 100% WB this week and into a sneaker the following. I'm going to take it slow as with 100% I'm feeling some pain in the heal and ankle area that I haven't felt before. I made lunch today myself and am planning to help with Christmas dinner. Happy holidays everyone.
    Congratulations!!!! It helps to know there's a light at the end of the recovery tunnel! I too have had that type of "present" for Christmas. After 8 weeks in a cast for a broken 5th met, I finally today had a day with NO soreness (still in a cast), so am now looking forward to getting rid of this thing on Wednesday!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #17
    Diane 29666
    (female)

Diane 29666 HB User

I am in week 8 post op..was told to start trying to bear limited weight while wearing the walking bootl I too, cannot take the pain when trying to walk. My incision sites are so sore all of the time, and the swelling is terrible if my foot is down for any length of time. I have tried to go back to work for a few hours each day, but I am so tired. Just cannot get the energy that I had prior to the surgery.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #18
    FlatfootDiva
    (female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwestmary View Post
    Hello flat foot diva.... ) I'm a fellow flat foot diva - had the same surgery on the right foot on Oct. 25 and on the left foot last Jan. 19. So now I have a matching set of scars and screws to boot!

How are you coming with your weight bearing? I'm up to about 75% using the crutches...I know what you mean about the initial discomfort - especially in the heel area. Have you started physical therapy? I think the hardest thing for me at this point (8 weeks post op) is not being able to drive for another three weeks or so - until I'm out of the boot and into the ankle brace and sneakers.....grateful for on-line shopping!

Take care, trust it's going well for you,

Mary
    No PT for me yet. I assume once I'm in a sneaker. But i have been in the boot since week 7 and was told to flex and point the foot for flexibility since then. And flexibility has gotten a lot better. Mine is my right foot so I won't drive either until I'm able to consistently put weight on it without pain. The way it feels now, I wouldn't trust it yet! But once I became weight bearing it did improve quickly. This last step to 100% weight bearing i think will take a couple of weeks. At least now I can walk to the printer when im working and up and down stairs with one crutch. The entire leg has gotten stronger but is still thinner and weaker than normal. Again, it has gone fairly quickly. I wont exactly be dancing on new years eve but It's all good.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:54 AM   #19
    Missyluke
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Flatfootdiva: Are you doing the alphabet with your foot? It will help with rom. I am 16 weeks post op and began pt at week 8 (once out of the cast) and deep tissue massage at week 12. I do not have to go to pt anymore but have to keep doing it at home. When I began walking I walked with a limp. Once I started deep tissue massage walking became easier and I lost the limp. I also do heat therapy on my calf muscles and heal which seems to help the muscles.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #20
    FlatfootDiva
    (female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User

Missy, I had a subtalar fusion, which is why I'm not doing any flexion side to side. As of 3 weeks ago the bones weren't fused 100% and I don't know if the doc will be having me do any ROM for what if any little motion may be left in the ankle. I massage the achilles and PTT (had PTT repair and FDL transfer and gastroc lenghtening) and the calf area, and ice and find that that helps when the tendons are tight. Once I'm in a shoe I'll return to my massage therapist for work on it. (and the other foot which has been taking a beating being the favored foot.) Thanks for the encouragment.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #21
    Missyluke
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I found the massage therapist helped alot. Be sure to take care of your other foot. My "good" foot is also flat. Pt had me start doing things at home to help that foot out so I would not end up with big problems with that one!

Closed Thread