It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Pain with walking, post PTTD surgery, crutch techiques

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
    FlatfootDiva
    (female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User
    Question Pain with walking, post PTTD surgery, crutch techiques

I was thrilled to graduate to partial weight bearing one week ago. Until I started to "walk" that is.

On Oct. 1st I had PTT tendon repair, tendon transfer, lengthening of the calf muscle and subtalar fusion. I have two screws in the heel. I've had a cam boot since week 7.

9 weeks post surgery the doc intructed me to use crutches at 20% weight bearing for one week, and then increase the weight bearing about 20-25% more each week, until I see him post surgery 13 weeks, when he says I should be 100% weight bearing. At that time, he said I should begin to wear a sneaker if all is ok.

I am at day 1 of week 2 and am supposed to increase the weight from 20% to 40%. I hestitate because of the pain. The subtalar incision site (outside of ankle) hurts quite a bit after walking 10-15 steps with the surgery foot, then my same heal starts to hurt at the bottom (like plantar fasciitis). I was on the feet a lot more yesterday than previously, and today after walking the foot has throbbing pain up the leg. I ice it for relief, but it doesn't encourage me to walk more or with more weight.

I've read a lot of posts where people have started walking and worked their way up fairly quickly to 100% and other posts where they had moderate discomfort. I'm experiencing enough pain that I want to go back to using my knee walker. I think however that weight bearing is essential to completing the healing of the fusion.

So I am torn: Should I push through the pain, use more ice (I've been instructed not to use Nsaids because of the fusion), alternate between the wheelie and crutches or ?

I have a desk job, essentially. I have been working from home since week 4 and had planned on going into the office beginning next week for at least a few hours. I thought I would be more mobile.

Appreciate your advice.

P.S. The more I use crutches the more my right (surgery side) wrist has begun to hurt, any suggestions for using crutches? Also what's the best way to crutch up the stairs. So far I've been using my bottom!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
    roxygirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
    Re: Pain with walking, post PTTD surgery, crutch techiques

I don't know if the level of pain you described is right. Maybe you should call your doctor and let him know what is going on. It's better to call him before your next appointment than to chance doing damage to the surgical site

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
    FlatfootDiva (12-12-2010)
    Old 12-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
    Missyluke
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I agree with Roxygirl1. You really should call your doctor's office and let them know. They may want to see you before your next schedules appt.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
    Old 12-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
    michlei
    Veteran
    (female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User

If you can manage the stairs on your bottom, that is actually the safest method. If you would prefer to crutch up or down (e.g. when out and about), then there are two rules to remember: The good go UP and the bad go DOWN.

This means: When you go UP steps, you put your GOOD foot on the next step up, and bring up your bad foot to meet it, with the crutches moving when your bad foot does.

When you go DOWN steps, you put the crutches down first, stepping down first with your bad foot and following with your good foot.

This ensures that the crutches are always below you on the stairs to stabilize you.

If you have a handrailing, put both crutches together under the arm on the opposite side of the railing, and use the railing as support, moving the crutches with your bad foot.

If you do a search on google on "How to use crutches on stairs" there are some great documents with pictures, and also on video sharing sites as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to michlei For This Useful Post:
    Old 12-11-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
    FlatfootDiva
    (female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User

Roxy & MissyL: Thanks for the support. Today the foot feels better. I really overdid it on Thurs., and I think that's why. However, if it does continue to hurt, I'm going to contact the doc.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
    FlatfootDiva
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by michlei View Post
    If you can manage the stairs on your bottom, that is actually the safest method. If you would prefer to crutch up or down (e.g. when out and about), then there are two rules to remember: The good go UP and the bad go DOWN.

This means: When you go UP steps, you put your GOOD foot on the next step up, and bring up your bad foot to meet it, with the crutches moving when your bad foot does.

When you go DOWN steps, you put the crutches down first, stepping down first with your bad foot and following with your good foot.

This ensures that the crutches are always below you on the stairs to stabilize you.

If you have a handrailing, put both crutches together under the arm on the opposite side of the railing, and use the railing as support, moving the crutches with your bad foot.

If you do a search on google on "How to use crutches on stairs" there are some great documents with pictures, and also on video sharing sites as well.
    Thanks so much. Very helpful. I' think I'm going to have to wait until I can put more weight on the surgery foot to be able to use the crutches.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
    michlei
    Veteran
    (female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlatfootDiva View Post
    Thanks so much. Very helpful. I' think I'm going to have to wait until I can put more weight on the surgery foot to be able to use the crutches.
    You can do it with putting no weight on your bad foot. I did for the first 2 weeks. I suggest though that you try in on a spot that has only a couple steps until you're comfortable with the technique.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
    FlatfootDiva
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by michlei View Post
    You can do it with putting no weight on your bad foot. I did for the first 2 weeks. I suggest though that you try in on a spot that has only a couple steps until you're comfortable with the technique.
    Practice, I will try that first. I've had none so far. I spent the first 9 week NWB and one week PWB at my vacation home that's totally flat on one level, with all hard floors and a walk in shower. I used a wheelchair or knee walker the entire time. I've returned home to my condo that has carpet, wood, rugs and 15 stairs to the bedroom and a tub/shower that's too small to fit my commode in. So I'm having to get used to all of that. I am using the crutches most of the time, but just can't get balanced to do the stairs.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
    michlei
    Veteran
    (female)

It's tricky for sure. If it's working in your house with 15 stairs do go on your butt, do that, but if you go out and about and need to go up or down a step or curb, use the method I mention. Good luck to you!

Old 12-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #10
    FlatfootDiva
    (female)

To all: the pain I had 10 days ago has subsided. I emailed my doc and he wasnt concerned with the pain. I'm up to 50% weight bearing moving into 75% this coming week. Some days I walk more and then need to rest the next. Which seems normal. my leg, thigh, back muscles are sore and tired from the different gait which also seems normal. What now aches the most nights are my wrists and elbows from the crutches, (I'm heavy). I ice my wrists nightly too.

My question is, how do I measure an additional 25% more weight on the foot. I know from stumbling that 100% weight is too much and how that feels. Still haven't had the nerve to walk up or down the stairs but the " butt walk " is good for muscle tone! Thanks.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
    michlei
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlatfootDiva View Post
    My question is, how do I measure an additional 25% more weight on the foot. I know from stumbling that 100% weight is too much and how that feels. Still haven't had the nerve to walk up or down the stairs but the " butt walk " is good for muscle tone! Thanks.
    Others may have a better way to measure, but this is how I've done it:

25% - foot only lightly touching (just a bit heavier than brushing) the ground when walking. Most of the weight on the crutches.

50% - Putting a bit more weight on the foot, but lightly, and less weight on crutches. Your wrists and elbows will start to thank you.

75% - Still using crutches to assist your foot a bit, but putting the rest of the weight on your foot. Your wrists and elbows will feel much better because they're not doing very much work. The difference between 75% and 50% is that at 75% you can feel your weight on the foot now, even though it's not all your weight.

100% - No weight on the crutches at all. May still use them for balance, but don't put any pressure on them.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
    wants to walk
    (female)

wants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB User

Divide your weight by 4....that's what I did to get a better idea of how much weight to put on it. Then try putting that weight on your bad foot on the scale. That will give you the best idea of what amount of weight feels like.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
    midwestmary
    (female)

midwestmary HB User

Hello flat foot diva.... ) I'm a fellow flat foot diva - had the same surgery on the right foot on Oct. 25 and on the left foot last Jan. 19. So now I have a matching set of scars and screws to boot!

How are you coming with your weight bearing? I'm up to about 75% using the crutches...I know what you mean about the initial discomfort - especially in the heel area. Have you started physical therapy? I think the hardest thing for me at this point (8 weeks post op) is not being able to drive for another three weeks or so - until I'm out of the boot and into the ankle brace and sneakers.....grateful for on-line shopping!

Take care, trust it's going well for you,

Mary

Old 12-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
    lambchop789
    (female)

lambchop789 HB Userlambchop789 HB User

midwest mary,
    i have a question for you...did you have a posterior tibial tendon reconstruction with a calcaneal osteotomy? i too have to have the same suergery on both ankles...i'm 12 weeks post op on my left ankle and i've done about 5 wks of pt. i plan on having the 2nd surgery about 6 months post op from my left ankle...do you feel that would've been enough time to recoup? given my living situation and the help i'm getting the faster i can have both done the better. obviously i don't want to push it and ruin the work done on my left ankle, but i feel like 6 months is a good amount of time...what do you think? also, for you and anyone else, when did you start to feel like yourself when walking? after i got out of my walking boot and into a gym shoe i felt great and really encouraged, but at this point while i'm still feeling ok i feel like i've hit a plateau. when i walk i have to walk somewhat slow and i still feel like i've got a little bit of a limp b/c of some pain in my left foot...mainly on my inner ankle and working a little bit up the leg. given the holiday season i've done some shopping and it doesn't take much for my foot to get "tired" and sore. i'm curious when that will stop and i can just start to walk "normal" without getting tired or feeling the type of pain where i feel the need to limp. i always feel great after pt, but as the day goes on i start to feel the discomfort come back....some days are good some days are not as good.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #15
    FlatfootDiva
    (female)

Smile Re: Pain with walking, post PTTD surgery, crutch techiques

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwestmary View Post
    Hello flat foot diva.... ) I'm a fellow flat foot diva - had the same surgery on the right foot on Oct. 25 and on the left foot last Jan. 19. So now I have a matching set of scars and screws to boot!

How are you coming with your weight bearing? I'm up to about 75% using the crutches...I know what you mean about the initial discomfort - especially in the heel area. Have you started physical therapy? I think the hardest thing for me at this point (8 weeks post op) is not being able to drive for another three weeks or so - until I'm out of the boot and into the ankle brace and sneakers.....grateful for on-line shopping!

Take care, trust it's going well for you,

Mary
    What a great present for Christmas! I am 12 weeks post surgery and today walked about 20 steps without any crutches! In truth, I don't feel very strong so I am using one or two crutches as feels best. The doctor thought I'd be 100% WB this week and into a sneaker the following. I'm going to take it slow as with 100% I'm feeling some pain in the heal and ankle area that I haven't felt before. I made lunch today myself and am planning to help with Christmas dinner. Happy holidays everyone.

Closed Thread