It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Calcaneus fracture

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
    fallfromhigh
    (male)

fallfromhigh HB User
    Unhappy Calcaneus fracture

Hello. I jumped from about 15 feet and fractured my calcaneus on my left foot two days ago. As it was unbelievably painful at first, it has dissipated with a quickness. I saw an ortho doc and he said that I didn't require surgery. He did say that I would have to be off of it (non weight bearing) for 3 months, at least. Is this a typical diagnosis? I do feel that I am a quick healer. But wow, 3 months is a long time. Should I test it (bearing weight) in a few weeks or am I stuck like Chuck with my elevated foot and hobbling around on crutches? Needless to say, my ski season is over. Anyone with a similar story please post yours. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
    Re: Calcaneus fracture

Stay off your foot all the time, until you get the ok. The bone is healing. 3 months is typical, some people get to do partial weight bearing before that. But the real healing takes 12-18 months. But by 4-6 you will be doing lots of stuff, but just not alof of it.

This is a life changing event.

Keep your foot elevated. Really elevated. I slept with it on two pillows, and had it on two pillows on my recliner, all the way back, as much as I could. My physical therapist said toes above the nose.

Your foot will probably get a dark color when down, normal. Your proably going to have all kinds of weird sensations over the next few months. Feeling should come back, for the most part.

This is a life changing event. It does vary from person to person.

I now wear only padded socks. I prefer light wool hiking socks in the summer, and heavier wool in the winter. Wool is actually cooler then the cotton it seems.

You need to get into physcial therapy around 4-6 weeks, just for range of motion stuff. Physical therapy is probably the most important thing you can do.

Read up on here,lots of stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zerk For This Useful Post:
    fallfromhigh (12-17-2010)
    Old 12-16-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
    approb18ct
    (female)

approb18ct HB User

If your heel is truly shattered, I would think surgery would be required. How will a shattered heel heal on its own? My heel was highly comminuted into over 25 pieces. I now have 19 screws in my ankle and heel. My injury required surgery.

And I would second what Zerk said. I know it seems like a long time, but it is important to keep it elevated. It is particularly important in the first 6 weeks. I basically considered myself bedridden for 6 weeks. I only got up to make food and use the restroom. This was crucial to my recovery.

Angela

The Following User Says Thank You to approb18ct For This Useful Post:
    fallfromhigh (12-17-2010)
    Old 12-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by approb18ct View Post
    If your heel is truly shattered, I would think surgery would be required. How will a shattered heel heal on its own? My heel was highly comminuted into over 25 pieces. I now have 19 screws in my ankle and heel. My injury required surgery.
    Mine was in 6 or so pieces, so not as, bad, but the doc uses the word shattered. They wanted to operate on it while I was in the drug coma, but it was to swollen. I ended up having to do whirlpool for 6 weeks. By that time, they said we will let you walk on it and see how it goes. That was 6/09.

I may need it fused someday, or shaved down to take pressure off the ligaments. But I am not rushing into a surgery.

I wonder if they perform to many surgeries, or if I would have been better off, if I had it. Who knows.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
    fallfromhigh
    (male)

fallfromhigh HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
    Stay off your foot all the time, until you get the ok. The bone is healing. 3 months is typical, some people get to do partial weight bearing before that. But the real healing takes 12-18 months. But by 4-6 you will be doing lots of stuff, but just not alof of it.

This is a life changing event.

Keep your foot elevated. Really elevated. I slept with it on two pillows, and had it on two pillows on my recliner, all the way back, as much as I could. My physical therapist said toes above the nose.

Your foot will probably get a dark color when down, normal. Your proably going to have all kinds of weird sensations over the next few months. Feeling should come back, for the most part.

This is a life changing event. It does vary from person to person.

I now wear only padded socks. I prefer light wool hiking socks in the summer, and heavier wool in the winter. Wool is actually cooler then the cotton it seems.

You need to get into physcial therapy around 4-6 weeks, just for range of motion stuff. Physical therapy is probably the most important thing you can do.

Read up on here,lots of stuff.
    I haven't even tried to put weight on it. I don't plan on it for a while but what about moving about on crutches? Or should I just try to keep it elevated as much as possible. There are no pieces of bone floating around in my foot. Its a single fracture.

Last edited by fallfromhigh; 12-16-2010 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Ask another question

Old 12-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
    fallfromhigh
    (male)

fallfromhigh HB User

Should I stay off of the crutches?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Wheel chairs are easy way to get around, and they do have an attachment to keep your keg up.

I found a walker to be more stable then crutches.

You don't have to be bed riden, but you do need to keep your foot up alot. First few weeks were bed and recliner, with trips to doctors office. eventaully did little more, going out to eat or on the patio, putting my foot up on another chair.

You got the rest of your life to live, so hang loose.

Last edited by Zerk; 12-16-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
    Firelady1
    (female)

Firelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB User

Mine was highly comminuted as well, don't know how many pieces exactly but was a Type IV on the Sanders scale. My OS didn't do surgery. Something about a study done at the hospital that shows that with this type of fracture, there is little or no difference in the outcome of those who had surgery and those who didn't, so they didn't do it.

If you have a single fracture you may be lucky and "walk" away with little impairment. Follow the doctors orders and do not weight bear until told. You DO NOT want to make this injury any worse. Trust us....

Last edited by Firelady1; 12-16-2010 at 07:46 PM.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
    jausten1987
    (male)

jausten1987 HB User

6 months 2day since I broke both mine very happy at the moment and if healing continues for another year things can only get better right side (none surgical) as strong as left (surgical) but inproving! Got an appointment to see a pdiatrist 4th January, toes on leftside still curled abit! Rom good in both sides and improving ,Glad to be back near normal near Xmas!

Old 12-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
    Toyman57
    (male)

Toyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB User

I shattered mine Dec 09, its been just about a year now. Mine was in many pieces but non-displaced so no surgery for me. Also flattened the STJ. The heel bone gives me very little problems but the STJ causes some discomfort at times. Do what the Doc says, I was partial WB at 7 weeks or so then FWB in 10-12 weeks. Winter is tough on crutches . The injured foot is still improving but very slowly now. I can do anything I want to do if I want to pay later with a bit of pain from the STJ. So take it easy and let your foot heal before putting weight on it ............. good luck

Last edited by Toyman57; 12-17-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
    fallfromhigh
    (male)

fallfromhigh HB User

Thanks to all who have replied. It really means a lot to me! The pain has been subtle. It only starts to hurt (some throbbing) after I have been moving around for a little bit on the crutches.

Moreover, it has been somewhat of a mental game for me. I am still working but I am the maintenance man at a condominium. Needless to say, I am now the 'office guy' at the condo and it kills me. I am so out of my element and that adds to my stress level. Grrrr. Any advice?

Old 12-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #12
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

All you can do is wait it out.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
    Firelady1
    (female)

Firelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB User

Fallfromhigh, I mentioned in another thread (god there has been so many I can't remember which one lol) about the mental toll that this injury can take. Most if not all of us who have suffered this injury were/are very active people. That is probably in some part how we suffered our injury. After the injury you face the sudden halt to almost all activity, the boredom, the isolation and the slow realization that some of us may never go back to our "old" lives again. Activities that we loved will now be impossible, jobs we enjoyed and supported our families with my now be lost if we can't return to full duties. All of this sets in fairly early and for some varying levels of depression will rear it's ugly head. Take our word for it when I say it does get better! As each week passes and your foot improves you will be able to do more. The appointment when the Dr tells you you can start to weight bear is probably one of the happiest days of your life. Each milestone in your recovery will lift your spirits to that next level. Take your idol time and do something you've "always been meaning to do", like take an online course or read a book or rent a series of TV shows you've always meant to see. But first and foremost remember....it will get better!

Old 12-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #14
    willis120
    (male)

willis120 HB User

Hi,
    I fractured my left heel from about 6 feet, was told 3 places. I had no surgery, no cast.
    You should do exactly what your doctor tells you as every one of these injuries are unique and he's the guy with the x rays.
    You fell from quite a height and may have multiple minor fractures as well as the main major fracture . Do you know if your subtalar joint is affected?
    If not in a cast try and keep the ankle joints moving, try things like spelling out the letters of the alphabet. It will help you later in your recovery. Exercises you leg muscles if you can to keep some strength and motion.
    I found for some mobility I spent time on my now scabby knees as this freed up my hands, a cushion to kneel on a chair in the kitchen helped loads whilst preparing food.
    I was allowed to start weight bearing at 7 weeks after xray, now in week 11 and still using crutches or a crutch most of the time, however improving weekly. I can now stand on affected leg, and move about house with no crutches for short periods .
    Told it could be as long as a year before it gets as good as it gets.
    I attend the gym daily and do 15 km on the cycle which don,t seem to affect any of my injuries.
    Good Luck and I hope you have a quick recovery.
    Willis120

Closed Thread