It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Triple Arthrodesis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
    judyjudy68
    (female)

judyjudy68 HB User
    Triple Arthrodesis

I have been reading all your posts on triple arthrodesis. I had this surgery done on June 21st, 2010, and it is now Nov. 22, 2010, and I'm still wearing an air cast boot. I spent 9 weeks in bed - using the walker for bathroom duties, I had 15 hops with the walker to go and come back to bed. I related those hops as exercise. I got pretty adept at using it. Here is the reason I am still wearing a boot.
    I did not stay in the hospital overnight. I had my surgery done in southern Maine. And in the summer months, we vacation in northern Maine. So after the surgery, we drove back to our place, 340 miles. Since I had a pain blocker in my leg, my doctor gave me the okay to go back home on the same day. I laid in the back seat of our car with pillows propping up my foot. It was comfortable. On my 2nd day afer the surgery, I got out of bed and hopped to the living room. Sat on the couch and realized I wasn't comfortable. So I pulled the walker towards me and hit my splinted foot, which hurt terriby around the ankle. Sooooooooo, when I went to the dr. to have that big heavy cast removed, I had developed a blood blister, which the doctor cleaned up. But the skin was very tender - not good. After I had a new cast put on, we went back home. The staples were also removed on my first visit. A few days after we got home, I fell forward over my walker, and my big toe felt like it went backward. I had an incision below the big toe, about 4 inches down, and at that time I felt pain in that area, and that's when I developed another wound in that area. So, 9 weeks later, the last cast is removed (Aug. 24), and lo and behold, I had one wound on the lateral ankle, and one on top of the foot. Incision wounds are very hard to heal. Lots of slough. The lateral wound is almost closed in, but the top one is stubborn, but getting there. Have been treating these wounds since Aug. 25. It's been a very long haul, but the pain is manageable. Had Vicodin, and only took a few pills. I found that the pain I had before surgery was worse than the pain I feel now, when I put my foot on the floor, without the boot. I've come a long way and I'm optimistic that in a few more weeks, the wounds will be closed up and I will start a walking program. I was afraid the foot would freeze up since I haven't started walking without the boot, yet. But I can flex my foot and move my toes. And now I can say that my foot doesn't feel as numb as 2 months ago. Big improvement. It will get better. Hang in there and pray a lot. It's my right foot so I haven''t been able to drive since June. We live in Florida from Sept. thru May, and it's been so hard for me to stay home.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
    judyjudy68
    (female)

judyjudy68 HB User
    Re: 1 week after Triple Arthrodesis

I was using a walker for 9 weeks but never had that burning sensation you're talking about. Maybe your walker is not the right height for you. Those can be adjusted, and that's very importnant.
    Hang in there, girl. It will get better.

Closed Thread