It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Worried about upcoming foot surgery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
roxygirl1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Worried about upcoming foot surgery

What kind of surgery did you have cavgt? It sounds like things are proceeding well for you. I am 5 1/2 months post flat foot surgery. So far, so good. Complete healing take up to about a year. At this point, I am definitely doing better than I had been prior to surgery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
91cavgt
(male)

91cavgt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxygirl1 View Post
What kind of surgery did you have cavgt? It sounds like things are proceeding well for you. I am 5 1/2 months post flat foot surgery. So far, so good. Complete healing take up to about a year. At this point, I am definitely doing better than I had been prior to surgery

I had heel osteomity (sp?). But when they got in there the doctor realized how far he had to move my heel so he also had to relocate or "cut" my achilies tendon. I am 1 week post surgery and can get around our bedroom ok on crutches, I took my second shower today (had my wife nearby just in case I needed some help). The shower stall has DEFINATELY been a big help!!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #18
roxygirl1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

One of my proceedures was also the calcaneal osteotomy. I also had a cotton osteotomy, posterior tibial tendon and spring ligament repaired, tendon transfer and my achillese tendon lengthened. I was NWB for 8 weeks. My husband definitely had to help me a lot for the first few weeks. Things will get better. I have been back at work full time for 6 weeks and am doing well

Old 03-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #19
91cavgt
(male)

91cavgt HB User

Well, it has been a while since I posted an update.

I was in a splint for 2 weeks. I was then in a hard cast for 3 weeks. After that I was put into a walking boot because X rays showed the wedge had filled in completely with new bone and new bone was just starting to fill in the other gaps.

Well, I have been going to physical therapy for just over a month now. I now have good flexibility in my foot, but it still swells up if I am on it for more than a few minutes at a time. If I am up and on it for more than about 3 hours a day then it stays swollen for a day or two and it takes a while for the swelling to come down.

I am able to walk very short distances now with just my walking boot on and no crutches. I walk most of the time with just one crutch unless I need to walk long distances, then I use both crutches.

I am having some sharp shooting pains occasionally just in front of the scar I have from the surgery. In that same area, almost to my small toe, it is still partially numb. The feeling is taking a long time to come back in that area, but I believe that is because of the swelling. When the swelling goes down is when I have the sharp shooting pains. But, the pains are VERY short lived. Usually just a second or two.

I have not returned to work yet because my job doesn't have any light duty work since I am a mechanic. My next doctor appointment is on April 7th. My goal is to be able to walk into the doctors office without crutches. I am hoping at that point that he will allow me to not wear the walking boot so I can start working on strengthening my leg.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #20
roxygirl1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Did you ask him how many of these proceedures he has done? The ortho I used was a foot and ankle ortho who has a special interest in flat foot reconstruction. You just want to make sure that you are not the first or second of these proceedures he has done.

Good luck

Old 03-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #21
91cavgt
(male)

91cavgt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxygirl1 View Post
Did you ask him how many of these proceedures he has done? The ortho I used was a foot and ankle ortho who has a special interest in flat foot reconstruction. You just want to make sure that you are not the first or second of these proceedures he has done.

Good luck

Yes I did. He chuckled and smiled at me and said "Too many". He then proceeded to write down on an order list everything he would need in the operating room, but he didn't pull out a sheet that lists everything, he wrote everything down from his memory. So yeah, he has done quit a few of these surgeries.

He did say after the surgery though that the synthetic bone graft wedge that he had to put in my foot was the largest he has ever had to put in anyone. It was a 12mm wedge. He used a portable X ray machine in the operating room to make sure that my heel lined up properly with the rest of my leg.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #22
roxygirl1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good luck with your recovery

Closed Thread