It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• 6 Months Post Op Lisfranc Follow UP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
    DemonDog
    (female)

DemonDog HB User
    6 Months Post Op Lisfranc Follow UP

I have a 6 month post op follow up appointment with my surgeon coming up for my lisfranc injury. I can walk, run, jog with little to no pain and no limping. My physical therapists also feel confident that my time under their care is coming to an end, and I have 2 sessions left to be done once a week. There is still continued stiffness on a daily basis in the injured area and a significant amount of bruising remains, which I intend to ask the doctor about. Aside from the obvious pressing concerns, is there anything else I should inquire about while I am there? I imagine the next appointment will probably be in another 3 - 6 months and want to make sure I am on the right track and not clouded solely by the fact that I can walk/run as being a sign that the injury is fully healed. Any suggestions for me I will gladly take into consideration.

PS: I of course also plan to bring up changes or additions to medications/supplements, diet and exercise since the last time I've been seen by the doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
    marcelle68
    (female)

marcelle68 HB User
    Re: 6 Months Post Op Lisfranc Follow UP

wow. that is great! I am coming up on a three month recovery, but I am in a walking cast and I don't think I will be running yet.
    HOw long did it take for the pain to subside on the top of the foot? ONe of my screws can be seen under the skin on the top of the foot. If I do too much in a day my foot turns purple and it get`s very sore... is that a similar story to your's?

Old 03-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
    DemonDog
    (female)

DemonDog HB User

Marcelle,

The pain on the top of my foot has only just recently gone away within the past month or two, so probably 4 or 5 months from the surgery it stopped. However, it does have its days, particularly if I'm doing a lot or when in physical therapy, where it gets tender and sore. My main area of pain is right in the arch of my foot.

My entire injured foot is a darker color than my other (normal) foot, and when I walk for long periods of time or jog/work out, it does get even more purply and slightly swollen in the bones. I spoke to the doctor about that today. And he said that it will take a significant amount of time for the hemoglobins in the skin to calm down as they are still reacting to the trauma of the surgery and excessive bruising is normal. He recommended I continue to take the iron pills that I was on and also recommended for extra healing of the skin to apply Vitamin E. This can be done by piercing the capsules you would normally take orally with a needle and then squeezing the oil onto the affected areas. I did that today, squeezed about half the capsule's oil out and then swallowed the rest of the pill so that my foot will get awesome healing vibes from the inside and out. I've also been massaging the area everyday under the doc's recommendation, usually right after bathing when I apply lotion/Vitamin E, to stimulate blood flow and decrease tension near the incision site. This almost always immediately decreases any soreness in the area as well.

I have a tiny knobbly bump on one of my bones that may or may not be the head of the screw. It doesn't bother me at all anymore, even when I touch it, so hopefully the same situation will apply to yours in time.

I started running about 2 weeks ago (so about 5 1/2 months after surgery) and can only do it a few times a week (foot needs a day or two of downtime to recover). A similar timeline happened to a friend of mine who also suffered a lisfranc fracture/strain a year ago and she was fairly athletic before her injury and it still took her about 5 or 6 monhts to be able to run. All those muscles from your foot up to your hip need time to reacclimate themselves and learn how to function again.

Hang in there! It's a tough and long injury to get through, especially if you required surgery. Changes will come slowly, but keep on top of whatever rehabilitation exercises you're doing, ease into new ones slowly, and one day you'll wake up and say "I bet I can run today" (like I did) and voila it happens.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
    DaveLDaveL
    (male)

DaveLDaveL HB User

I had my Lisfranc surgery in June 2011. I had a cast on for 10 days after the surgery, then a boot with crutches (non-weight bearing), then to a boot with crutches (weight bearing), then to the boot with no crutches (hardest part for me as I had 3 unique pains when I tried to ween myself from the crutches - each did go away), then to one of those flat shoes. I had the 2 screws removed in Nov 2011. At the end of March 2012, I was finally able to jog just a bit. So, it took me 9 months to get to that point.

It took me a long time to be able to have my foot be in a shoe without any real pain in the top of my foot. I still don't tie my shoe tight. The jogging that I did was by no means running, but it was the first time that I was able to jog slowly with a shoe on. I still limp a bit when I walk. For me, it has just amazed me how slowly the recovery is. It is steady, but slow. From day to day, you are looking for this great improvement and that doesn't really happen. I think every week or two I can notice some improvement. My foot still looks larger than my good foot and my toes still look larger than on my good foot. It is also still hard for me to bend my toes very far forward.

Overall, I am happy that I can walk pretty normally and I hope to be able to really run like I used to. The main point to remember is that the recovery does take a long time, so try to be patient. I know that's a cliche, but it really is true. I'm sure some of you will recover faster than me, but I say put in your mind that it will take about 4-5 months before feeling somewhat decent, and then another 6 months to really get close to being where you were prior to the surgery. My year is not up yet, so that's just my estimate. Good luck to all.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:30 AM   #5
    DemonDog
    (female)

DemonDog HB User

Update on my lisfranc injury recovery:

It's been a little over a year and a half now since the injury (Aug '10). I did eventually get my screws out (only 5 of the 6 as the last was a headless screw and is pretty much buried in the bone). One had started to bother me about a year after the initial surgery in August '10 and was constantly making a pinching feeling in the top/arch of my foot, so my surgeon had recommended removing all of them that they could get access to since they were no longer needed, and would save future surgeries down the line if the other screws became a problem. The headless screw was left in, as it would have caused more damage to remove it than to leave it in. This surgery was done in Nov '11.

After that surgery, it only took about a week or 2 to begin walking normally again. A much simpler procedure and healing time than the first, although I was instructed to wear a walking boot for about 8 weeks due to the amount and size of the hardware that was removed. I'll have to say, it did, for about a month feel like my foot was broken again. But it was bearable, just constantly sore and stiff. I stopped wearing the boot after about 5 or 6 weeks, not cuz I'm a daredevil, but because I didn't have a similar heighted shoe to offset the height of the boot, and it was really killing my back, along with making me walk with a slight lean and off balance. I did not undergo physical therapy as I was recommended due to the cost factor. However, I had several diagrams of exercises given to me for physical therapy after the first surgery, so I was able to rehab myself fairly well at home.

It's been 5 months after the 2nd surgery. I honestly don't remember when my foot began to feel at its peak potential after the last surgery, but I believe it was fairly soon (within 2 months) after the surgery. I still have some tingling/nerve tenderness on the side of my foot near my toes, and one of my toes every now and then gets this really hot and tingly feeling for a few seconds which I intend to ask the doctor about today. My toes were able to move better immediately after the second surgery, and I mean IMMEDIATELY as I tested them out while waking up from anesthesia, than they EVER did after the first surgery. It is still difficult to fully extend them or bend them completely inwards, but it's progressed better now than it has the entire year I spent recovering from the first surgery. My injured foot is still quite bruised. I am beginning to think this may be permanent as I also have some other permanent bruises on my body from past injuries. I had used Mederma scar cream and some bruise cream for a few months or two after the incisions had healed, but the creams started to irritate my skin, the Mederma in particular caused a red rash-like appearance to the scars although it didn't itch at all and the scars had actually softened and become more flexible. For the most part the Mederma did work as advertised, but the scars are too big to completely diminish. I will wear them as a badge of honor from now on. . The bruise cream did absolutely nothing. I stopped using the Vitamin E since it left a sticky residue on my skin and was annoying to use while wearing socks. Too bad I don't live in a climate where socks are optional.

All in all, the recovery process was suuuuuper long, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am still recovering and will most likely have issues with this foot and have to rehab it every now and then for the rest of my life. I don't expect to ever get more than a 95% functionality rate out of it. (I have no idea how to quantify that). It has not inhibited too many abilities more than moderately, however. I am still able to go to the gym and do normal workouts. I can walk around for hours with some swelling later and minimal pain. I attended the Lollapalooza rock festival last year, a year after my first surgery, and aside from the screws pinching when my foot got swollen, I didn't have any problems. This year I intend to run/jog/walk/limp in a 5K in October, and I don't expect my foot to be the biggest hurdle. More-so will be my lack of regular exercise if anything.

Good luck to all of you suffering with this injury. I don't really have any advice to give aside from just keep pushing on. It's a long recovery process, and one that often puts professional athletes into retirement, so don't feel bad if you're an average joe and you feel like there's no end in sight for this injury. To be honest, there may not be really. Your body WILL forever be changed. But if you persist in therapy/rehab, you can operate nearly as normal and still even manage to use your injured foot well enough to survive a zombie apocalypse. True story, "to be able to outrun zombies" was the goal I gave myself for physical therapy. We shall see 8)

Closed Thread