It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

terrible swelling 5 weeks post bunion surgery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
rosal
(female)

rosal HB User
Question terrible swelling 5 weeks post bunion surgery

Hi,

I am 5 weeks post bunion osteotomy and tailors bunion on right foot. Doc wants me to start weight bearing. No pt or exercises given. He said don't bend toes for another 12 days. I am wearing a Darco post surgical shoe. It does not seem as if it is for heel walking.

I am petrified to take a step on my right foot. My foot is extremely swollen and is "thicker" than my left foot. It seems as if there is swelling everywhere. Does anyone have this kind of swelling? It seems as if the swelling is worse today than 2 days ago when the cast was removed. I have not stepped on it yet.

I don't trust my doc and I feel its too soon to fully weight bear. Before my surgery he said I'd be in any shoe,even heels, at the 6 week mark. My foot doesn't even look normal. Its so puffy.

I am wondering if this swelling will go away or get worse if I start to walk on it.

Thank you

The Following User Says Thank You to rosal For This Useful Post:
elizabethw1954 (07-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #2
michlei
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User
Re: terrible swelling 5 weeks post bunion surgery

I've not had your type of surgery, but have seen others who have had ankle and foot surgery, and that is normal. My friend had pins and screws put into her ankle, had a cast on (non weight bearing) for 6 weeks, then got it off and was told to start walking on it, and lose the crutches within 2 weeks.

Her ankle was totally swollen, as was her foot, but she did as instructed, for short periods of time, and slowly but surely, the swelling went down.

2 weeks later, as the doctor said, she is able to walk with a mild limp and no crutches. Her foot still swells up if she's walked too much, but otherwise, the swelling has gone done greatly.

Her doctor told her the swelling itself could be there off and on for over a year.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
Stripe
(female)

Stripe HB User

Im just about 4 weeks post op with the Darco shoe. I have slight swelling and numbness but not to the degree you describe.

I have toe splint but no other dressing. I have a follow up appointment at end of week 5 when I have been told will lose the Darco and can start to weight bear. Interestingly I have been told to curl my toes now and have been doing so or trying to since stiches came out at week 2.

By comparison your swelling doesnt sound too good is it worth going back to the Dr? i think I would

Old 03-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
solusmor
(female)

solusmor HB User

Hi Rosal, I had the same op but without the taylors bunion, I was in a walking shoe from day one and also had bad swelling, at my 6 week check up I was told that the swelling an last for up to a year, I kept my foot elevated as much as I could to give the healing a chance, I now am another 8 weeks with only partial weight bearing but consider it a small price to pay for being able to wear nice sandals in the summer.

I am now 9 weeks on and the swelling has greatly subsided and I can get some of my own shoes on again instead of the 2 sizes bigger that I had to buy. I dont need to elevate much at all now.

Good luck and I hope that the swelling subsides soon.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
rosal
(female)

rosal HB User

Thank you for the replies. I spoke to my doc last night on the phone. He told me the swelling should go down in the am and swell during the day. As he said, I woke up and the swelling was way down. Literally, an hour later my foot swelled up. I'm back in bed with my foot elevated.
He told me to start walking that I cannot hurt anything at this point. I am 5 weeks 1 day post op today. I started to put my foot down and partial weight bear but I'm using crutches so I don't know how much weight I'm actually putting on it. Probably very little.
I guess I will just have to be patient. As I put my foot down I had slight pain in the tailor bunion area which scared me a bit.
Solusmor and Stripe- please keep me posted on your recovery and best of luck.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Hotdog girl
(female)

Hotdog girl HB User

Hi Rosal, thanks for sharing your experience! I am from West Coast, Canada.

I had an "Austin' Bunion surgery (I pin to fix my big toe, and 1 vertical incision along the foot (right underneath the big toe) for the cutting of my bunion. According to my doc, my bunion was not too bad but due to it pressing against my nerves, it has been giving me a lot of grieve the past years. It also got bigger over the past years that I decided to get this R foot done first. My L foot also has a bad bunion, but not at the pain level I have compares to my R foot, so after some thinking, I went with the R foot first for the surgery. I had my surgery done on March 17, so as of today, I hit the 3 full weeks post-op mark. I still have mild swelling at my toes, and the right side of the foot. Funny that the left side of the foot (where the incision is), the swelling has totally gone. So, my bandaged foot is still feeling fat. My stitches were out last Monday (my 3rd post-op visit), and she put some butterfuly tapes to hold the wound together for now. I was told since week 2 post-op to move my foot forward & backward, draw circles in the air when I am in lying in bed, and try to move the toes individually back & forth, including the big toe. Also, try to do as much stretch of the leg as possible, ready to put weight on. After 2 weeks post-op, my foot doc started to give me the ok to put partial weight on the heel only. So I did. At first I was freaking out worrying that I am going to break the incision or the newly adjusted big toe bone. But as I am stretching my courage a bit day by day...now, I can put a lot of weight on my heel and the R side of my foot (as of today, 3 weeks post-op). My next visit in the coming Monday, and my foot doc did mention that by end of this week (which is this weekend), I can try to put a bit of weight on the forefoot as well - now, this is the part I am a bit scare to do...but will try. I am limping around with my bandaged foot at home (we have carpeted floor) so my toes can breath. If I have to go out for doc's visits - then I will put on my 'moon boot' which is a gray colour thick support ankle height air-cusioned boot with velco. A very big thing! As of the begining of this week, I am using less of my crutches around the house since I started limping around with my heel. Hope I will be successful limping around with my forefoot! For the swelling - like you - if I limp around too much that day around the house, my foot gets sore and feel more swollen. So I will have to lift it up and rest it, ice it etc. Yes, in the morning, my foot is less swollen, than at the end of the day...My doc said this is normal, but don't over-push it too hard. Just be diligent in the exercise to wake up the muscles and tendons, but watch out for it not to be overtired.

I was told to try to bend my toes since last week (week 2 post-op). I have to go back to work in a few weeks, that is why my foot doc is trying to work with me to get me back on my feet as much as possible, ready to go back to work soon. My office cannot give me too many weeks for sick leave since they are very busy right now. So they only approved 4 weeks upfront and my doc is trying to extend it to another 3 weeks for me, making it 7 weeks total for sick leave. If it is only for 4 weeks off, I'll have to return to work by April 13 - oops, very soon. No normal shoes yet for me, still living in my velco moon boot so far. They are so heavy! I do have some larger size comfort shoes which I hope to be able to at least fit in when I return to work by week 7. Will keep you posted.

Rosal, good luck, I am sure we can all do it! Just think of the healthy straight toes and well aligned foot we will have went we all fully recovered, no more pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosal View Post
Thank you for the replies. I spoke to my doc last night on the phone. He told me the swelling should go down in the am and swell during the day. As he said, I woke up and the swelling was way down. Literally, an hour later my foot swelled up. I'm back in bed with my foot elevated.
He told me to start walking that I cannot hurt anything at this point. I am 5 weeks 1 day post op today. I started to put my foot down and partial weight bear but I'm using crutches so I don't know how much weight I'm actually putting on it. Probably very little.
I guess I will just have to be patient. As I put my foot down I had slight pain in the tailor bunion area which scared me a bit.
Solusmor and Stripe- please keep me posted on your recovery and best of luck.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
solusmor
(female)

solusmor HB User

Hi Rosal, take each day as it comes and dont over do it. I as back at the surgeon on Friday and at last I am finally allowed to weightbear on foot after 13 weeks, I have no swelling and can fit into my normal size shoes now, my foot is so much narrower and is looking good. I didn't have any physio but have been doing exercises to keep the joint supple just stretching and bending, I am now to get the other foot done so by the end of the year I should have feet that will look good in party shoes, I am going to a wedding reception next week and was very worried on what I would be able to walk in but have bought a dressy pair of wedge sandals with a sling back and my joint is fine in them so wont look the odd one out by wearing trainers.

Keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
rosal
(female)

rosal HB User

Hi All,

I am 9 weeks 4 days today. I had a soft cast on my foot for the past 2 weeks because of the swelling. My doc removed the soft cast today and told me I can wear sneakers. So, today I bought a new pair of sneakers. I was disheartened in the store because my foot was too swollen to fit into any womens wide sneakers and I had to buy a mens! It doesn't look terribly swollen, but the big toe joint area is swollen. I was walking ok today but started limping a little this evening because I was on my feet all day and now I can feel it. I'm icing it and I hope the swelling will be ok tomorrow. So right now, my issue is the swelling and I have limited flexibility. I definitely have to wear stylish shoes again and I pray that I'll be able to.

Take care and I wish you all a speedy healing.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
Hotdog girl
(female)

Hotdog girl HB User

Hi Rosal, I am at 4 weeks and 3 days post-op as of today. I just returned from my 5th post-op visit (I have a visit every Monday from my operation date on March 17). The stitches were all out as of past week, the pin which have been there to secure the bones is also out this afternoon. I am just on some slight thin bandaging and a bandage to cover the little hole from the pin. I am told to be able to shower 'properly' tomorrow and then place a little bandage over the hole where the pin was. This will heal up in a couple of days. The swelling is pretty much subsided, but occasionally if I walked too much I will get swell up again. I am still at sick leave but may have to be back to work by end of April, as the office is very busy since I have left. I dropped the crutches 1.5 week ago and per the doc quickly practised weight bearing on the heel and eventualy the front part of the foot. By big toe area is still tender so my project this week is to try to learn to bend the big toe back and forth more and try to slowly let more weight go to the entire foot. So far, I have been showering or bathing by using a 'seal tight' which is a long plastic bag made to fit over the foot/ankle area and up to the kneel. Then there are 2 velco straps to tighten the top so the foot would stay dry while I shower or bath as it is 'protected'. It works ok but occasionally there were still water got into my foot, not much but felt wet.

I have been using my velco support boot whenever i have to go out for a very short time or to doc's visit. They called it 'Moon Boot" with velco straps. I will have to live on wearing this to work the 1st 2 weeks if I have to return to work end of this month, for support. Hope I can have more time off till early May, but really not sure, will know by end of this week. The swelling was not too bad for me overall, but I do ice it whenever I can, and lift my foot up a lot during the 1st 2 weeks of post-op. I can't fit in my regualr shoe or runners just yet. The doc told me to be patient and gives it another 2 weeks, as if I have to go back to work, I'll be in my Moon Boot for a bit anyway.

Good luck to your swelling, and do take care!
I am sure we will all be better soon. I am glad I have the surgery done, no more foot pain, nerve pain, cramps, numbness, and blaster! Once my current R foot is completely healed this year, I may have to think about when to get my L foot done eventually.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
solusmor
(female)

solusmor HB User

Hi All

Well I had a Wilson's Osteotomy on my right foot yesterday and so far so good very sickly afterwards so I am only taking the strong painkillers at night to give me a good undisturbed sleep and ibuprofen during the day. I have another vecro shoe to wear for 6 weeks. I think it has been easier for me this time with having had surgery on the left foot in January 2011 so I am fully aware what is involved and know that I will be at least14 weeks until I am able to walk properly again and wear nice shoes.

Hope you are all doing well and going from strength to strength, keep in touch.

The following user gives a hug of support to solusmor:
Hotdog girl (06-08-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
Hotdog girl
(female)

Hotdog girl HB User

I'm glad you are doing well. I had my austin bunion surgery back in mid-March and is recovering very well. Apart from the leftover stiffness of the foot (due to the scar tissue), I am pretty much back to normal. I can wear normal shoes again (the wider style) for work, and wear runners with no problem. I still have mild swearings at the end of some days if I walked a bit too much on my foot (closer to end of work week), but after resting up during the weekends, my foot is good for Monday/Tuesday/ Wednesday and Thursday of the work week. My job is an admin office job, but still needs us to walk around the office a lot for printing documents, small deliveries and walking out to the office lobby to see clients. I would say 50% of the time I am walking short trips and 50% sitting at my desk working on the computer.

I am in my 10th week post-op and I am seeing my physico and chiro (for my back) so these treatments are helping me to recover faster. My foot doc said I should be able to wear sandals this Summer, no problems, but stay away from high heels (I am not a high heels shoes person anyway). She said my foot should feel less stiff by this Fall when the scar tissue mostly loosen up from the wound healing. I hope this will be true. I can walk a few short blocks now but not everyday, I would say 3 to 4 times a week for a short walk. This is already a big improvement from weeks ago, consider I am still less than 3 months post-op.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #12
solusmor
(female)

solusmor HB User

Sounds like you are doing well and on the road to a good recovery, with my first op I was in a walking shoe for 6 weeks with no weight bearing and lots of elevating then after that I had another 8 weeks of partial weight bearing and during that time the swelling subsided and I was able to wear my own trainers and gradually built up to being ble to walk about as normal without any pain or swelling I was fortunate that I now dont work so didn't need to walk much I oiled my foot and scar a lot and it seemed to soften up well and is not ridged, I am hoping that it will be the same for this other foot only time will tell.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #13
earthworm88
(female)

earthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB User

Hi everyone!
If you are freshly recovering from bunionectomy, I strongly recommend massaging your feet especially the scars with oil frequently. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, olive oil in your cupboard will work beautifully. I mixed my own: olive oil with tree tea oil, smells wonderful and supposedly has anti-microbial property. I am one of the unlucky ones with severe keloids and hyperpigmentation, but I am so happy my scars are barely noticeable. During the time my feet were still recovering and I went for reflexology, I had to tell the person to be careful around my big toes and scars as they just couldn't tell I had surgery. I guess I had my surgeon to thank for his meticulous workmanship as well as my constant massages to keep the scar tissues at bay

Wishing you all a speedy recovery.
Cheers!

The Following User Says Thank You to earthworm88 For This Useful Post:
Hotdog girl (06-11-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #14
solusmor
(female)

solusmor HB User

Hi Everyone

Hope you are all on the road to recovery with your foot/feet by now.

I am now 9 weeks post op on my second foot and able to walk really well in trainers and can wear something a bit more stylish when I am going out for the evening, nothing high or tight though as I dont want to undo the work that the surgeon did, second foot has healed a lot better than the first, the bone was totally healed at just over 5 weeks to my delight.

Let me know if you all have happy feet now.

I am going to new york at the end of the month so that will surely be a test for my newly designed tootsies

Old 08-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #15
Hotdog girl
(female)

Hotdog girl HB User

Hello Sousmor, I am SO glad to hear all is going well for you! I am now at 4.5 months after my March surgery and my R foot is doing really good! No more swearing, only really minor ones if I had a LONG day running around or at work. Mostly my work is ok as it is an admin job. I no longer has to elevate my foot periodically during the day, I can go without lifting it up at all. At nights I still massage my foot with organic olive oil to manage the surgery scar but other all is good. I can wear wider more stylish leather shoes fit for the office look now, of course, they are still the low heel comforti types
My shoe shoe is still 1/2 size larger than my pre-operation size, but this will come with time, only 1/2 size larger does not bother me, as the surgery and years of bunion pain did somehow changed the bone structure of my foot, so 1/2 size larger is normal once the foot is fixed. I still need to work on the flexiblity of the big toes (bending it as far backwards as possible). All other foot movement pretty is good. I hope to go for long walks again in a couple of weeks. I am aiming to go for short hiking (1 to 2 hours) this Fall after my last post-op visit in late September!

My L foot also has a bunion about the same size as my R one. Funny that the L one does not hurt me as much as my R, so the doc said to leave it for now, and let the R foot fully healed first, she expects it will be around Fall or end of year to fully 100% healed (for the flexibilty). Then, we can start to talk about the L foot during Spring of 2012 and once my office is ok with me taking another 2 months sick leave off, I can start the L foot operation in late 2012 or early 2013. This time around, I am sure I will be more prepared as I am going through this R foot. So far, I am really happy for the operation and my decision of doing so. No pain and my life can be more active soon!! I am too young to be stuck at home, no long walks, no hikes and constantly in pain, as I am only in my early 40's.

I so hope both your feet will be recovered soon, and life will be great again pain free. Yes, taking care of our feet is so important. Massage your feet and pamper them well, they work hard for us.

Blessings

Quote:
Originally Posted by solusmor View Post
Hi Everyone

Hope you are all on the road to recovery with your foot/feet by now.

I am now 9 weeks post op on my second foot and able to walk really well in trainers and can wear something a bit more stylish when I am going out for the evening, nothing high or tight though as I dont want to undo the work that the surgeon did, second foot has healed a lot better than the first, the bone was totally healed at just over 5 weeks to my delight.

Let me know if you all have happy feet now.

I am going to new york at the end of the month so that will surely be a test for my newly designed tootsies

Closed Thread