It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Completely ruptured ATFL 2 yrs ago-NOW PROBLEMS!! Have questions.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
Run262
(female)

Run262 HB User
Completely ruptured ATFL 2 yrs ago-NOW PROBLEMS!! Have questions.

Hi all -
About two years ago, I rolled my right ankle in high heels and ended up completely rupturing JUST my atfl. Strange thing is that my ankle didn't swell that much so my podiatrist at the time didn't think much of my injury until the MRI came back showing the rupture. Nothing else was broken or damanged, according to the MRI. Sooooooo....the Dr. recommended conservative therapy - and told me to just strengthen the ankle - nothing else. No brace, no official PT, nothing.

Mind you, I'm a very active 40 year old, who use to run marathons.

Since that time, my ankle hasn't been the same. I can't say I constantly roll it but if I sit just right with my feet propped up on the coffee table I can see the instability, i.e, "anterior translation" I believe it's called. I've had intermittent pain around the base of the 5th metatarsal that I've just dealt with. NOW...it seems the past 6 months I've developed a NEW pain.

This new pain, from the research that I've done, (call me Dr. Google), is coming from the tarsal/navicular area, on the top of my foot. It just kills me to walk barefoot or in flat shoes. Wearing my tennis shoes or something that supports my foot takes the pain away and allows me to walk/run normally. But walking in the parking garage at work, or after I've been sitting at my desk for a while just KILLS, especially if I have flats on - which stupidly I do a lot.

So, I'm thinking since the ATFL attaches at the tarsal bone, and mine isn't attached, perhaps I do have some instability and now perhaps I'm developing arthritis in the area of movement since it never was repaired in the first place???

Anyway...I've got my MRI films from two years ago and I'm taking them to a foot and ankle ORTHOPEDIC surgeon next Monday the 16th.

This all just sucks because you read horror stories about AVN and needing ankle fusions. I just hope this is repairable. Any similar stories? Any ideas if I'm close to what may be happening?

Oh, and to top it all off, I'm due to have knee surgery in two weeks on the same leg to trim a lateral meniscus tear - which the surgeon says is a piece of cake and I should be up and walking in a couple of days time. Meniscus tear is from coaching my daughter's softball team and squatting down about a month ago. So yes, I am able to be active but with the proper shoes on. But I can tell the foot/ankle problem is getting worse and is frustrating.

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
Run262
(female)

Run262 HB User
Re: Completely ruptured ATFL 2 yrs ago-NOW PROBLEMS!! Have questions.

60 views and no replies. Nice.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
lotusblue9
(female)

lotusblue9 HB User

I had a partial tear of my ATFL and CFL ligaments, along with some others from a severe ankle sprain at age 14. I would say definitely look into other options before you go to surgery. I had a reconstruction, two scopes and finally a subtalar fusion at age 21 and none of it was fixed. Now, that's just me and my weirdness; you may have a great outcome.

Since you're so active, I would recommend looking into a custom AFO/brace or even just getting some custom orthotics. That may help with instability a lot. I have a Richie brace (search and you'll see what I mean). It's a wee bit bulky but it does the job. You definitely can't do high heels with it though.

You may even benefit from a non-custom brace. They have several sorts of lace up braces that helped me for years and kept everything where it needed to be.

Anyway, in my non-professional opinion you probably need a Brostrom repair if those conservative options fail. That's the most common procedure for lateral hindfoot instability.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

[And after typing this whole thing I see that the post was from a year ago. Oh well, it might help someone!]

Severe chronic ankle instability- post four surgeries (2008-2010)

Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Run262
(female)

Run262 HB User

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes it was a while back when I wrote this and since then my problem has miraculously gone away. I was stretching my foot one night in bed and felt some pain on the end point of a stretch - i dediced to push through the pain on the stretch just to see what would happen - I figured it couldn't get much worse than it already it - so I pushed through and then "crack" instant relief. No more pain when walking or anything. Gone. I've decided that it was scar tissue that had formed and was blocking my movement.

It's been almost a year since that happened and I've had no further problems with the foot/ankle.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
BrookeAnn12
(female)

BrookeAnn12 HB User

Hi,

I recently turned 18 this last august. I used to be a dancer and was for 7 years. This last may i was at rehearsal for my final show of my career. As i was walking off stage only to walk back on, my ankle popped. Stupid me kept dancing on it that night, went home, iced it, and went back the next day only to dance on it for 12 more hours with lots of ice elevating and ibuprofen. (for the swelling of course.) That next monday i went in to the doctor and took some x-rays. The doctor came back and told me she didnt see anything but was going to say it was a stress fracture. She put me in a walking boot and said you should only be in this for 4 to 6 weeks. If the pain doesnt go down in two weeks come back. She had me taking 6 ibuprofen every 4 hours for the pain. It didnt get any better so two weeks later i went back and they said it wasnt a stress fracture but they didnt know what was wrong. They told me to stay in the boot and come back again in a couple months. I was in that walking boot for 3 months and then finally just tolerated the pain and wore a little brace to "help" support it. I just went to the orthopedic doctor yesterday and they gave me a better brace and told me to schedule an MRI and that they were either going to give me a cortizone shot, surgery, or a cast because he was thinking it was either an ATFL or CFL rupture. I am very nervous as i DO NOT do well with pain.

Closed Thread