It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

calcaneus fracture update

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
deborahrgoldman
(female)

deborahrgoldman HB User
calcaneus fracture update

I fractured my cleft calcaneus on December 23, 2010 and had ORIF on January 4th, 2011. Was none wight bearing for about 10 weeks, got a cam walker on March 2nd and then started physical therapy on the 7th of March.

I have been given permission through work and my doctor to be able to go back to work on Monday, May 23rd, which I am actually excited about. Still walking slowly and a limp, but I am able to walk now. I carry the cane whenever I go out, don't really use it much, mabe 5% now if that.

Does anyone have any advice about ging back to work? I am polanning on bringing the cane with me just in case and especially to use when I am outside by work. A lot of people and there are a lot of potholes there, which I had problems with before I got the fracture.

Oh I forgot to menton, I work in the library assisting customers with computers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
Zerk
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: calcaneus fracture update

I was on light duty, the computer tower was under the desk so I moved it so I could put my foot on it.

You may want to use the cane a bit, it will help. I would consider starting out at work using it, just to see how it goes.

If you don't have one a good compression sock. Good socks. I wear light wool hiking socks in the summer. Merino wool is soft and breaths better then cotton.

Also no pretty shoes, if you don't pain. It may be one or the other.

Also what I still believe in, is conserve your pain currency for stuff you want. Sit when ever you get the chance, wether you need to or not. That way at the end of the day you will be in better shape or for those times you have to stay up.

Also there is line between walking more to get in shape and having it effect you. I was working in a plant, 1/4 mile between some points. I would take the stairs cause I felt fine, well after 10-12 hours, I was in rough shape.

You need to find the right balance there. It will be good for you to do more, especially early on. You do need push it, to work it, but you need to work too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zerk For This Useful Post:
deborahrgoldman (05-19-2011)
Closed Thread