It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Upcoming Bunionectomy

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
JennMO
(female)

JennMO HB User
Upcoming Bunionectomy

This is my first post. I have been scanning the boards for a couple days and found some very useful and honest information. I am scheduled for surgery to repair a bunion on my left foot on June 30th. I do not know the exact type but I do know the doctor will be shaving the bone spur, cutting the bone, then realigning with a screw and possibly cutting the tendon. I go for my pre operative visit where she will fully explain things on June 8th. I know that there are threads about this but they are kind of time consuming to sort through at the moment. I am a little anxious about the recovery period. It seems I will be completely non weight bearing for 5 days then a hard cast for 3-6 weeks depending on healing during which I will be allowed 10-20 minute periods of walking on my heel. I am wondering what you guys did to stay occupied during the time you were unable to bear weight. I just can't imagine much to do beyond reading and watching t.v. and after a few days that seems like it will get old. Also just looking for a general idea of how things went after the surgery and any other tips people found helpful. It probably is also important to note that after the initial 5 day period I will be home alone though I will have at least one person stopping by daily to walk my dog & do small errands that I may need. Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
jd20
(female)

jd20 HB User
Re: Upcoming Bunionectomy

Hi Jenn,

I found that for the first few days after my surgery I slept a lot! I think it's part of your body's natural healing mechanism, and likely also a side effect of the pain medication. Reading and watching TV does get old pretty quickly. My friends were great - I had visitors almost every evening, and they almost always brought food, which was great because making meals was tough.

When I get my second foot done I'm also going to arrange in advance to have a cleaning service come through for the first month or so too. Let me tell you, the ability to vaccum is something I didn't fully appreciate until I tried to do it alone, on crutches, in an apartment with 2 flights of stairs!

I'm afraid I don't have much more advice than that to offer - being a house-bound invalid totally sucks, especially if you are an active, busy person who isn't used to spending a lot of time on your couch! Having something "productive" to do will help. I was able to work from home a bit, but even a craft project (knitting or something) or a dreaded boring task (reorganizing your filing cabinet) that you've been putting off lets you feel like you've actually accomplished something with your day.

I genuinely feel that having a positive attitude is a HUGE factor in the healing process. Your "job" is to take care of yourself after your surgery, so get lots of sleep, eat well, and stay positive and your healing process will go MUCH more smoothly. Finally, I suggest getting into physio as early as you can because that'll help you get back to your regular life more quickly.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to jd20 For This Useful Post:
JennMO (06-14-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
JennMO
(female)

JennMO HB User
Re: Upcoming Bunionectomy

Thank you for the suggestions. I have already arranged for someone to clean my place the first couple of weeks. I think that will be very helpful. I also have had several people offer to stop by and drop off anything I may need as well as my friend who will stop by each morning to walk my dog. The doctor gave me a prescription for a good amount of pain medicine so I am guessing the first few days I will spend the majority of the time sleeping. I have also already arranged for the medical equipment I will need to be delivered the day before. Hopefully the rest of it will go by quickly and I'll be back to doing things on my own :-)

Closed Thread