It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

12 wks post lapidus

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
pdrx
(female)

pdrx HB User
12 wks post lapidus

I am having some pain on the top of my foot over my arch and basically mid-foot. I had a large area of scar tissue directly on the bottom of my arch, which my PT was able to break through--very painful, but much better now. Is anyone experiencing this type of pain in the arch and ankle area when walking? I am wondering if I started weight bearing too soon. I went back to work in a cam boot 2wks post-op, and out of the boot to a sneaker week 6.

thx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
adoublej
(female)

adoublej HB User
Re: 12 wks post lapidus

I am only 12 days post lapidus, but I wanted to say hello I'm sorry about the pain... I'm sure by 12 weeks you are ready to be pain free. My doctor has me non-weight bearing for 8 weeks, and he put me on bedrest for two weeks. That sounds very different from your recovery - I wonder why?

Any advice for someone so early in their recovery? I would appreciate some words of wisdom

Thanks,
AJ

Old 06-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
pdrx
(female)

pdrx HB User

Hi AJ-
My recovery may sound different because my Podiatrist did the wrong procedure on me and I (we ) did not realize it until after 1wk post-op. I was supposed to have just the bunion removed, and the osteotomy in the toe. Not the metatarsal fusion. After realizing this, he did not alter my recovery plan, so I had to go back to work in a boot for ~4wks. I think it was too soon. Therefore, I am doing physical therapy which is helping alot! I would definitely recommend it. Keep your foot up as much as possible. I would ice behind my knee to help with some pain and swelling while in the boot then a few times a day wrapped around the foot once back in shoes. The hardest part was sleeping. Had to sleep with the boot on so I would sleep anywhere except my bed (recliner, couch). Take your pain meds around the clock the first few days then taper off to as needed. A higher dose NSAID like ibuprofen is good as well. My doc also told me to start moving my toe after the first week! That was way too soon for me--I had shooting pain like being stabbed with glass shards after he first bent my toe back. I held off for two more weeks then started using a tennis ball under my arch and marbles for the toe. I had a huge hunk of scar tissue under my arch near the fusion site--it was bothersome--but the therapist got after it--very painful at first--but magically went down and is no longer painful. Ice is still my end of the day treatment. I also bought a battery operated, small massager from Brookstone that I use periodically during the day to get some relief--very helpful.

Hope this info is helpful. I am giving myself 6months before I decide that all of this was worth it. I think it will be.

Have a wonderful day!
pdrx

Old 06-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
adoublej
(female)

adoublej HB User

Thanks so much for the information! It's nice to talk to someone who understands. I have ten year old twin boys, so this recovery is tough not only on my, but my kids and husband. Did you happen to read my post about the intense pain I'm having? I think it's nerve damage or irritation. It's killing me! It's not constant, but it's often enough that I'm concerned by it. Maybe it's normal and I'm expecting too much too soon...

Anyway, great to hear that the PT is helping you. It gives me a lot of hope that I can do this

Thanks again,
AJ

Old 06-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
pdrx
(female)

pdrx HB User

I did read your post. I have had that pain a few times, but not consistent enough to make me concerned. It is probably just the nerves trying to recover as well. Keep massaging and icing.

Good luck!

pdrx

Closed Thread