It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Big Toe Arthritis post PTTD surgery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
lambchop789
(female)

lambchop789 HB Userlambchop789 HB User
Big Toe Arthritis post PTTD surgery

hello...
about 8 months ago i had a posterior tibial tendon reconstruction w/ a calcaneal osteotomy done on my left foot. so far the surgery done to correct that problem has been healing nicely, however very early on in my physical therapy my big toe was really hurting me. we tried everything during physical therapy, but the pain was terrible and had a lot of stiffness. at the same time i noticed a bump at the base of my toe and thought, hmmm, that wasn't there before. my dr had me get an mri and it showed i had a bone spur w/ mild arthritis in the big toe. appearantly this is something that can happen post surgery due to trauma the foot endured getting "fixed". fix one thing another "breaks". anyway, my doctor said the only real way to fix it is to have a cheilectomy done on the toe...taking out the bone spur and cleaning up the toe so i have better movement with less pain. he said that in most cases it works great, but some cases show no improvement and some come out worse/with more pain. if that doesn't work the next step would be fusion (which i would hate). regardless, my dr will not perform this procedure until i'm at least 1 year post op since my foot has already gone through a traumatic surgery. in the meantime, i'm trying to gather as much information i can about the procedure so i know what i'm getting myself into. i'm really hopeful that the surgery will work and i'll be pain free...is that possible?? i basically live in gym shoes and even in those the toe starts to hurt if my foot gets swollen or i'm on my feet too long. i can't wear any sort of high heeled shoes and my foot is taking forever to strengthen b/c i can't balance due to the pain in my toe. i've also had some pain in my outer ankle and peroneal tendon on the same foot and i think it's b/c i'm walking on the outside of my foot to avoid pain in my toe (currently in physical therapy to work on that). i can barely exercise except for maybe the stationary bike. i'm extremely frustrated b/c had it not been for this toe i'd be very happy with the surgery. i just want to have a "normal" foot..no pain, so i don't have to cringe everytime i get up from a chair or take a step...sigh. any of your stories, advice, questions to ask my doctor, will be greatly appreciated!! thanks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Big Toe Arthritis post PTTD surgery

Well, I've had one cheilectomy done and am having a one done on the other foot in two weeks. if he's not comfortable with this procedure - and it seems he isn't - I would find a sports med ortho who is foot and ankle board certified and go see him/her.

And fusion is not the next step after cheilectomy. My toe that was done 10 years ago will need a second procedure soon(waiting till after cheilectomy on other toe to see where that stands). I am going with a resurfacing procedure with a titanium plate. Arthosurface is the name.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
lambchop789
(female)

thanks for your response! i may have mis-stated (sp?) my dr's response. it's not that he's not comfortable with the procedure..he works with many pro athletes in the area...it's that he's not comfortable doing the procedure until the pttd surgery is fully healed...which is about 1 yr to 1 1/2 years. since the foot went through so much he doesn't want to make the foot "angry" and do another surgery so soon. he's more conservative. so i take it that your cheilectomy went well? how soon after the procedure were you able to feel "normal". i know you're supposed to start physical therapy early so the toe doesn't get stiff, but when will i feel no pain and able to wear a high heeled shoe (not stileto or anything, just a shoe other than a gym shoe). you said you had the procedure 10 years ago...i assume you haven't had any issues since? has it gotten stiff or any pain since? thanks!!

Old 06-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

OK, in that case, yes, I would wait till full recovery of other procedure. And I did great after the first cheilectomy. That's why I'm not concerned about the second one. I dance, jog, work out, wear heels - though nothing more than 2" now. It's just that there wasn't a lot of cartilege left in the toe to begin with and almost 10 years later, there is less. In fact, he said very little is left. The orginal surgeon told me 10-20 years for that one and here we are at 10 years! i don't know when I'll do that one again. I think it may not hurt as much if I can get the other foot not hurting. With both of them hurting at various times and activities, it's like jumping from foot to foot to find one that doesn't hurt. I'll know more soon after the chielectomy. I don't remember the details of how long it was for full recovery but there was some swelling - not a lot though - for a good 2-3 months....but I just wore whatever shoes felt good at the time. I probably wore low heels and other "cute" shoes at about 6-8 weeks out but kept a pair of Merrell slip ons in the car just in case. This time around the surgery is scheduled for June 15 and he says I can expect to be able to dance at an event on August 5th that I very much want to do!

Old 06-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
lambchop789
(female)

hello titchou....i'm just checking in b/c i know you had mentioned, in your last post, that you'd be having the chielectomy on your other foot/toe. how are you feeling? when will you be starting physical therapy? i hope all is well!!

Closed Thread