It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Does my podiatrist know what she's doing??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
kellysmum
(female)

kellysmum HB User
Does my podiatrist know what she's doing??

Back in early April, I had an ingrown toenail that began to be a bit unbearable, so I called my regular podiatrist to make an appointment. He was out of town for several weeks and I felt I could not wait, so I went to see a different podiatrist in our town. The new podiatrist said I needed surgery on the nail on my big toe of my left foot to cure the ingrown state, so she took off a little of the nail on both sides. It healed fine, but about two weeks later, the third toe of my right foot began to show signs of ingrown nail. I went back to the same podiatrist, and she announced that I did not know how to cut my nails. For the record, I cut them straight across and very conservatively. She pulled out a nail clipper and cut my nails almost down to the quick and rounded off the edges.

Naturally, a week later the ingrown toenail on my third toe got worse. I went back to the same podiatrist, and she took off part of the nail on the right side. Meanwhile, the nail on my big toe that she had previously operated on and cut way down began to grow, and since she had cut it so short it started to grow into the skin. Last Sunday, the toe was red, swollen, and extremely painful. Starting to get really frustrated, I made another appointment with the same podiatrist, and she said it didn't look painful to her and if it bothered me to put ice on it and take a Motrin. And that was it.

I managed to secure an appointment with my old podiatrist for the 14th of this month. Meanwhile, I am in pain. Here's my question: Is it just me, or did the podiatrist who cut my nails to the quick seem like she knew what she was doing, or is it just me who thinks she is not the wisest practitioner and I was stupid to keep going back to her?

The Following User Says Thank You to kellysmum For This Useful Post:
SFCWIFE (07-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Does my podiatrist know what she's doing??

I've always been told that you should cut the toenails straight across. i don't personally do that as I like mine really short but everything I read says straight across.

If your toenail is red and swollen, soak it in warm water - with epsom salts if you have it. Then when you can see that the infection is pulled to the surface - white area - puncture it. (you may have to get someone else to do that as it hurts a lot!) Then mash out as much infection as you can and keep bandaged till it heals. That might buy you some time to get to your regular pod.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
kellysmum (06-04-2011)
Closed Thread