It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Question about flat foot reconstruction

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Chrisryn
(male)

Chrisryn HB User
Question about flat foot reconstruction

I have been reading the threads on here of people that have went through flat foot reconstruction. I am 31 and have had flat feet since at least late 99. I was told by a military podiatrist in 99 that my feet were shot and need to have complete reconstruction surgery. He said that basically every tendon and ligament from my ankles down were either stretched,torn or destroyed plus stress fractures. I had seen the doctor weeks before and was given custom insoles. This diagnosis ended my military career and was shortly discharged. I have not been back to a doctor since for fear of the recovery that he told me I would have to go through. I can remember a lot of pain for a year or two after my release. My feet looked like they had been beat with a hammer. It is now 10 years later and I have started having knee problems. After 2 weeks of extreme pain in my knees I went to my family doc. After doing some test she had me stand barefoot and immediately noticed my feet(they generally gross people out due to the pronation). She said I probably need reconstruction and I have a appointment with a orthopedic surgeon on the 15th. I am really scared by what the prognosis is and how I am going to deal with the surgery since I am sole source of income for my family of 5. I should also note that while my feet always ache and hurt it hasn't been that unbearable. Seems now that this is all coming back to be a major issue they hurt more. I wear over counter insoles off and on due to the ones I first got are way to painful. Should I just consider afo braces on both feet and just live with the fact I will have to wear them from this point on( if they work) or should I consider the reconstruction?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
velvetrain
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User
Re: Question about flat foot reconstruction

Honestly you are the only person who can make that deciscion. Extreme pain in my case made the choice to have surgerey for me. Each week I am feeling better and this is the first week I can say I am glad I had the surgerey. The horrible burning pain I had in my foot before surgerey is gone. I did all of the conservative methods before surgerey and they all didn't work and were a waste of time. I suffered much longer than I should have.

It's not worth it to suffer long term. It sounds like you have suffered enough.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Chrisryn
(male)

Chrisryn HB User

Thanks for the response. I have known for 10 years that it needs to be done. Now with the knee pains and previous back issues all due to my feet, if they say surgery then that is what I'll do. Still scared but the thought of knee replacement surgery and possible others due to my feet sounds worse. I have mentioned the surgery to my boss but I don't think people understand the real extent of it. He kinda of joked and said wait for the knee and hip replacements then you can be a walking advertisement for one of our customers. I'm pretty sure he was just trying to cheer me up but the stress of the decision is overwhelming.

The following user gives a hug of support to Chrisryn:
velvetrain (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
velvetrain
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

People can really say some dumb and insensitive stuff at times. That comment he made was rude. You're right biomechanics wise issues with the feet can and eventually will cause issues with the joints above. It makes sense for you to address the main issue to avoid much bigger problems later. Pttd is progressive and more than likely will worsen instead of getting better. Sounds like you are doing the right thing by reading up on the surgerey and getting second opinions. Make sure the surgeon you choose is knowledgable in flat foot reconstructions and has performed many.

I did alot of reading here the year I was diagnosed. I was not looking forward to the recoverey at all. It's tough but manageable and goes in stages. The folks here are very supportive to all going through the ordeal. That alone is a godsend.

The Following User Says Thank You to velvetrain For This Useful Post:
Chrisryn (06-08-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
roxygirl1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I am eleven months post op flat foot reconstruction. I also went from tolerable discomfort to out and out pain as the condition of the tendon worsened. By the time I had surgery, I was in pain just walking from one room to the next in my house. My arch was gone and my foot looked like a pancake, even when sitting. When I stood, my ankle was starting to cave in towards the floor. It turned out that my ptt was partially ruptured and spring ligament very stretched out. I had a ptt and ligament repair, tendon transfer, calcaneal and cotton osteotomy and my achilese tendon was lengthened. The recovery was long and frustrating but I have to say that now, I am thrilled that I had the surgery. Some questions that you may want to ask your doctor are; will the condition of your feet will continue to get worse if you wear the afo braces and do not have sugery. You may want to find out how long the doctor expects you to be out of work. It is important to find out how many similar proceedures he has done and what the success rate is. If you do consider surgery, it is important to have at least two opinions. Do you have someone who could help you for the first few weeks? I was in the hospital three nights (no complications) and pretty much relient on my husband for the first few weeks. It is not an easy decision but in my case, I was one of the lucky people who had a good outcome. I went from being in pain after taking a few steps to putting in a full day at work and then I am able to do errands afterwards.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:13 AM   #6
Chrisryn
(male)

Chrisryn HB User

Tomorrow is the big appointment to find out exactly whats to be done. Then second opinion to be scheduled shortly after. Not as nervous as I was, still a little apprehensive.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
roxygirl1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Good luck and keep us posted

Old 06-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
mutedgirl
(female)

mutedgirl HB User

it's fine. the surgery sounds worse than it is. i am going to have it and my friend has already had it done. i am 14 years old. i was scared when they told me but now i am only apprehensive. it will be fine

Old 06-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
swimbunnie
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

I just got back from Suture removal and getting casted today, 2 weeks out from surgery. The first week was tough with the pain, things improved a lot this week. I know there's a long road ahead, but like you other joints were being affected by the foot. I had tried conservative treatment for a year (although this really took a turn for worse after spraining inside ankle last year, I've had flatfeet my whole life and I also have rheumatoid arthritis) and had some relief from afo brace, but it was progressively getting worse. Time will tell, but since knee replacements are already in my future, I figured I wanted one of the sources of the problem dealt with before the hips start to go too. Good luck!

Old 06-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
roxygirl1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Swimbunnie...I tried to PM you but you do not have that option active yet. I see you live in central NJ. It looks like we are neighbors

Old 06-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #11
Chrisryn
(male)

Chrisryn HB User

The appointment went well. I really like this dr. He found the source of my knee pain which is a bakers cyst, no real treatment for it and could be or could not be related to my feet issues. He saw issues with my feet but said that the surgery would be a last ditch effort, but a course of action will be determined after he sees what kind of damage my tendons have. He said that the swelling isn't good and is pretty prominent. I have a MRI scheduled for next Wednesday. He said that we will probably start with some sort of afo brace but that is to be determined by the MRI. So now its just a waiting game, for the doctors decision and the VA's decision. I'll keep posting here as I find out the course of action.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
adbow
(female)

adbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB User

Good luck chrisryn! I had a lot of swelling also and I had been put in a walking boot to help. Finally when they did the MRI they found that the tendon was torn. I did the walking boot some more and then we did surgery.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #13
swimbunnie
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

Roxygirl, not sure, but I think I activated feature. I can't figure how to pm to you. Please try and we can see if what I did worked.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #14
roxygirl1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Swimbunnie

I did not get a pm from you. I still can't pm you. I am not sure, but I believe that you have to have a certain number of posts before that feature activates

Old 06-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #15
Chrisryn
(male)

Chrisryn HB User

So the MRI is done just waiting on the next doctor appointment. Will keep you posted.

Closed Thread